Victoria Top-line Radio station statistics

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Spring 2011 statics for Victoria top-line radio stations (link to doc)

#1. CBCVFM (CBC Radio 1) | 13.4% of share
#2. CIOCFM (The Ocean) | 11.6% of share
#3. CFAX (CFAX) | 11.2% of share
#4. CKKQ (The Q) | 10.2% of share
#5. CHBEFM (Kool) | 9.7% of share
#6. CJZNFM (Zone) | 6.3% of share
#7. CHTTFM (Jack) | 4.5% of share

Share: Within the central market area, the estimated total hours tuned to that station expressed as a percentage of total hours tuned to all radio.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

It should be noted they only track the stations that pay for the service.

CFUV, The Village, Radio 2, Radio Canada, CBC Espace and CILS (francophone community radio) are not tracked, though they likely have a very small market share.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

More importantly, why are you listening to KOOL? Funny, I listen to CFAX all day, but flip to KOOL when the lame infomercials come on CFAX on the weekend, just because my 26 year-old room-mate has her living room stereo set to that FM band.

VHF brings up a wonderful and interesting topic. It has taken me a couple of days to come to grips with it.

“What’s an old fart like me doing listening to music like this?”

Not long before I was born, radio was the only household entertainment there was besides the piano and perhaps the odd guitar.

I wasn’t here for the Walter Winchell days, but I know some of you will remember CJVI and CKDA. I didn’t listen to those.

In the early sixty’s, we had a radio station here in Victoria called KITN. The DJ’s were Mad Mel Potts and Rob McAdams. They were the first rock and roll station on the west coast. Notice the “K” in the call sign when all the other Canadian stations start with a “C”? That’s because they couldn’t get a Canadian broadcasting license because of the type of music they played, so they broadcasted by telephone to KONP in Port Angeles and they relayed it back 20 miles in the air between 4:00 and 8:00PM Monday to Friday to Victoria.

The original “Pirate Radio”

Wikipedia says that they broadcasted from the store window of the Metropolitan on Douglas, (I don't remember that, what I do remember was) their station was on the north side of the 700 block Yates by the “Nut House” out of a small storefront window where you could stand on the sidewalk and watch them spin the platters and spit the chatter.

From then (for me) it was edgy KJR in Seattle as opposed to the lame CFUN from Vancouver…and so on and so on…and then came FM and so on...

So to answer your question VHF, I try and listen to stations that bring me “NEW” music, not the stuff that I have heard already.

In the car......it could be ...The Q, the Zone, Kool, (I bounce depending on the song)

At home I have a laptop connected to my surround that can stream almost any channel on the planet and any genre imaginable.

We have come a long way from the crystal rocket radio that the Beaver and I had.

Rock on.

#4 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:22 PM

The zone should just simulcast 99.3 the fox and forget about whatever it is they're trying to do. Their station sucks. The only reason it does as well as it does is because the other stations suck more. They should at the very least get rid of all but the british guy.

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:38 PM

I listen mostly to online radio at home and occasionally Shaw's music channels through my cable box.

In the car I either have my phone plugged into the stereo to play music I have bought online, or I am listening to Sirius satellite radio. Although I can only tolerate the Sirius for so long because the awful compression gives me listening fatigue.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

Surfing through our radio channels I came upon 107 and they were playing a song by Kristina Maria that has the following lyrics:

Baby if I tie you up,
It don't mean I'll tie you down.
I just like to play it rough, baby.
If you wanna bring a friend,
He's more than welcome to join in.
We'll have triple times of fun
Yeah this night has just begun

Just to see what would come up next, I kept listening and the following "artist" was singing about drinking all night and "doing it" all night. Nice. Why is music like this playing at 3:30 in the afternoon? What value does it have for society at large? Meanwhile the DJ's are screaming about irrelevant nonsense in between songs. Shameful, really.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Doesn't sound like your typical "Light rock at work" station.

Imagine having that song being pumped through the phone system and being piped to customers who are on hold :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

KoolFM's "about" page says the station is:

...programmed specifically to offer you a FUN choice at work, playing the perfect mix of “Today’s Best Music” every hour, everyday!

"Fun choice at work?" Seriously?

With the stations we have in town it's no wonder CBC is #1.

Know it all.

#9 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:26 PM

By the sounds of it, that's Kristina Maria's definition of fun :)

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

[/I]Just to see what would come up next, I kept listening and the following "artist" was singing about drinking all night and "doing it" all night. Nice. Why is music like this playing at 3:30 in the afternoon? What value does it have for society at large? Meanwhile the DJ's are screaming about irrelevant nonsense in between songs. Shameful, really.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

Really? Man, you are getting old.

So do you think more people are having threesomes and drinking more because of those songs? (I have no problem with either activity, BTW). And a lot of people need liquor to "do it", at all, yet alone all night.

I think you'd be surprised at how lyrics aren't ruining society.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

...or old enough to recognize what is and isn't "today's best music," as Kool claims it plays.

Know it all.

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

...or old enough to recognize what is and isn't "today's best music," as Kool claims it plays.

That's a bit subjective. But in terms of what most North Americans are listening to today, it does play the most popular of the newest music. Lady Gaga sells lots of music, even though most kids steal music these days.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:27 PM

This is absolutely cosmic. I happened to bump into Rob McAdams (one of the two owners of KITN Radio) today, and he cleared up a couple of things for me.

It wasn't so much that the CRTC would not give them a license as much as it was easier and less expensive to broadcast out of the station in Port Angeles.

They still had this "Pirate Radio" image about them however, that captured the imagination of the record producers from the eastern states. They were sent "hot off the press" rock and roll records that even KJR and CFUN couldn't get.

They did broadcast out of the Metropolitan AND later from a shoe store storefront on Yates.

Rob was gracious and kind and quite frankly found it interesting that I was asking about the station that has not existed for 50 years.

What are the odds of that encounter?

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

http://www.pugetsoun...l-2016-numeris/

15253445_1355689271117408_19364965955961

#15 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Jimi Pattison must be liking those numbers from the Q and Zone.  The top two music format radio stations in the Victoria market.

I'm surprised by the Zone, but they play music you can't hear on most other stations.

Kool, Kiss and Ocean have practically the identical play list. 

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:43 PM

KISS is actually on a pretty good rise.  But I guess they had nearly nowhere to go but up.  Ya, I'm surprised how much overlap there is from KISS onto Ocean.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

The Ocean should have kept Forbes and Marshall.

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:15 PM

Started tuning out of local radio when I accidentally tuned into 'LG73 Vancouver in 1972 purely by chance one night; thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I discovered FM super-stations KISM and KZOK Seattle in 1976 and then as a result of a tour of the NW98 studios courtesy of my dad in ~ 1984 gravitated to CKNW talk radio at that time. 'NW really was the king of BC radio from that point to about the mid-late 90's. The only thing that makes local radio palatable IMO is Cliff Lesquesne at the Q and Radio One on occasion. Otherwise its mostly pablum IMO....

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 11:25 PM

The on air staff at the Zone are fabulous to listen to. Lots of fun! Music is ok.

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users