Photo

Canada Post issues and news in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
810 replies to this topic

#561 Dietrich

Dietrich
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:14 AM

^^ Yeah, businesses tend to do that, big deal.

#562 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 04:51 AM

Can't remember quite where the post about the mail-forwarding scam appeared (or which VVer experienced it), but here's a CBC story about the problem. The woman in question received the card and immediately contacted the post office. Canada Post had already started forwarding her mail, and she later found out that someone applied for a credit card through Bank of Montreal in her name.

QUOTE:

A police investigator told Hamilton he'd learned that a woman had shown up at a Canada Post branch with a driver's licence in her name and requested the change of address. Hamilton cancelled her licence in September 2015, mailing the cut-up card to the SAAQ, Quebec's automobile insurance board. "Maybe someone opened the letter and saw I was giving up my licence," Hamilton surmises.

The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre saw a seven-and-a-half-fold increase in mail-forwarding fraud complaints last year: 479 complaints in 2016, compared to 63 the year before.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...fraud-1.4075968

#563 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

I was shopping on E-Bay the other day. Found a vendor that was located in Burnaby. Check out his shipping policy.

Attached Images

• Canada Post.JPG

• Matt R. likes this

#564 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 04:56 PM

They spelled "every day" wrong.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#565 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:32 AM

^^ That is interesting. What sort of products do they sell?

#566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Blaine is chock full of companies that ship on behalf of Canadian companies. In fact they'll process and package just about everything. Quite often Canadian companies will ship out of the US to Canadian addresses and save an incredible sum of money.

Back when I was in that business it would cost me less to mail a parcel to Miami than to Vancouver. Lol.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#567 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:05 AM

I have an oversized parcel that's been out for delivery since yesterday and as of this morning, is still being delivered on June 26th! Sure am glad I stuck around all afternoon yesterday to receive it!

#568 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:11 AM

It should be noted that the US Postal Service had a loss last year of $5.6 Billion US while Canada Post had a profit of $55 Million CDN.  Thats why its cheaper to send a parcel to Miami than Vancouver since US Post is losing a lot of money on every item they handle

#569 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:45 AM

That's not an entirely fair comparison. The USPS posted a $5.8-billion retiree health benefits pre-funding obligation in 2016. Had they not have had that obligation, they would have ended 2016 with a profit of US$200-million (CAD$260-million).

• tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#570 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:45 PM

That's not an entirely fair comparison. The USPS posted a $5.8-billion retiree health benefits pre-funding obligation in 2016. Had they not have had that obligation, they would have ended 2016 with a profit of US$200-million (CAD$260-million).

And if I didn't put money towards my financial obligations, I'd have had thousands of more dollars last year too!

• Mike K., Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#571 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

ok, in 2015 the loss was $5.1 Billion US

2014 loss was $5.5 Billion US

2013 loss was $5.0 Billion US

2012 loss was $15.9 Billion US

shall I continue?

• jonny likes this

#572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Obamacare is obviously causing problems down there.

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Know it all.

#573 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

not sure what Obamacare has to do with this discussion, maybe its the fact they are selling their service at a loss each and every year

2009 (the fiscal year before Obamacare became law) loss of $3.8 Billion US

2008 loss of $2.8 Billion US

2007 loss of $5.1 Billion US

as for this retiree health benefits obligation, thats like saying my company would post huge profits if I didn't have to remit income tax from my employees, CPP, EI and WCB premiums, dental, MSP, etc, etc...Just think I could buy a new vacation home every year

#574 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:55 PM

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said Tuesday it has given strike notice to Canada Post that workers could walk off the job as early as next week.

https://www.cheknews...onday-2-499254/

#575 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:38 PM

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers said Tuesday it has given strike notice to Canada Post that workers could walk off the job as early as next week.

https://www.cheknews...onday-2-499254/

Oh no!!!! What will we do?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#576 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 07:52 PM

Oh no!!!! What will we do?

just in time for christmas! i ordered a bunch of ebay from china stuff last week.. fingers crossed!

i did hear it will be a rotating strike.. so post will still be moving (it's deemed an essential service) just a heck of alot slower.. no details given on what sort of rotation.. if it will be location specific or if it will be across canada

#577 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

^same issue here, I have 2 items ordered on ebay from China. I can get my credit card statements online and I never mail anything so I could really care less

Personally I would be happy with once a week mail delivery

#578 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:05 AM

As if it wasn't already going to be hard enough for them to be the only authorized deliverers of pot from the BCLDB online store...now they are going to start off with a back-log.

Edited by Langford Rat, 17 October 2018 - 11:05 AM.

• David Bratzer likes this

#579 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 05:31 PM

A few of the "brothers and sisters" were picketing across from my office today; I remember back in the day in the 70's and early 80's some truly raucous strikes where, depending who was on strike and why, unionists could command sizable crowds of sympathizers.

I am in no shape or form pro-union but I actually felt a pang of sympathy for these folks today. No one, and I mean nobody, nada, zilch was paying them the slightest iota of attention either street side or from vehicles where in the past it was common for sympathizers to honk their horns, wave fists etc. Today I watched the strikers for about ten minutes and from what I could see they might as well have been utterly invisible insofar as passers-by were concerned. I was interested in particular to observe the reaction of younger people on the street - utterly disinterested probably is a good summation - for whom a "Canada Post" might be a made in Canada wooden marker de-marking a Saskatchewan wheat-field boundary for all they know.....

#580 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

I remember back in the day in the 70's and early 80's some truly raucous strikes 

Speaking of strikes, where are your fish photos?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users