Burger King restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

I think it's time we started a thread on Burger King restaurants in Victoria now that a second location is in the works.

As mentioned in the Food services comings and goings thread by Kapten Kapsell, work has begun on the new Burger King location at Johnson and Douglas streets in the old Blenz Coffee space.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 sirswithin

sirswithin
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

I hope the new staff isn't as disinterested in customer service as the ones out in View Royal. Honestly, it seems like sometimes they think you're rude for interrupting their non-work environment with your request for food.

#3 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:41 PM

mmmm Whopper!

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hmmm, from Tim Houlihan on FACEBOOK

I actually think it'll do quite well here. US tourists want to see something familiar down there. This could be up there with McDonald's at Fisherman's Wharf. Watch the Facebook page and watch the rage fly!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Starbucks, 7-Eleven, Burger King... so why did McDonald's never set up shop on Government Street?

#6 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

So is the hamburger royalty taking over all of the Ric's space? As I recall that is a pretty large area.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

It's sad that more and more small independent businesses can't afford to occupy space on Government St.

So is the era of small independent businesses on Government Street really coming to an end?

Small businesses can't afford the rent in the DT core anymore. See all the empty spaces, ever wonder why? The rents down here are crazy high. Then the parking nazi's chased away all the local shoppers. Greed is killing our town.

If nobody shops there anymore then methinks that doesn't bode well for the success of a Burger King outlet.

#8 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

So is the hamburger royalty taking over all of the Ric's space? As I recall that is a pretty large area.

No, its only about 2500sf of the space

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

51 Facebook comments in 3 hours.

6 positive
6 neutral
39 negative
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

51 Facebook comments in 3 hours.

6 positive
6 neutral
39 negative

And that's Victoria for you.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Yeah Burger King is going to make that strip really tacky.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

No more tacky then empty store fronts....
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#13 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Tacky? I could understand if the Government Strip had tons of unique local gift stores but most of them are Chinese made crap with Victoria logos and Canadian flags tossed on them

Burger King should fit nicely in there with the rest of the garbage.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

It looks to be the space below Ric's Grill. The last tenants were a gelato and pizza place, or something like that. They didn't last long.

Government Street has become such a tacky strip with touristy gimmicks and those ridiculous year long blowout sales that it might as well start catering to more locals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I honestly can't recall any point in my own life when Government Street wasn't going to hell in a hurry. It's as if the street exists merely to undergo a perpetual transformation from something wonderful into something awful. I'm sure it will still be happening long after I'm gone.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

I recall that the decline began in the early 2000's just as cruise ship traffic ballooned. Tacky stores with blow-out sales for every season started to adorn the lower blocks and the momentum hasn't eased since then. In the 1990's there were tacky tourist stores but there wasn't any of this this in-your-face-discount nonsense with "cruise ship specials" and the like.

I'm all for Burger King moving into this location. This street needs more stable, long term tenants that cater to locals.

Know it all.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I recall that the decline began in the early 2000's just as cruise ship traffic ballooned. Tacky stores with blow-out sales for every season started to adorn the lower blocks and the momentum hasn't eased since then. In the 1990's there were tacky tourist stores but there wasn't any of this this in-your-face-discount nonsense with "cruise ship specials" and the like.

I'm with aastra, it's being "going downhill" for 25 years. Must be a very big hill.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yeah Burger King is going to make that strip really tacky.

Umm I was joking people. Government Street has been loaded with tacky crap since I was a kid. It honestly sucks all the way up to Fort Street. Burger King is not a bad thing to happen here.

What would make Govt Street better would be some more big name retailers in that first few blocks from the water.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#19 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Last I heard was that many of those gift shops are owned by one person. Is that still true?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Hmm. Maybe as a kid and teenager I didn't take notice of the tackiness in the 1990's. Aren't the blowout deals and manager's specials a more recent trend?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users