Photo

Beach fire regulations in Victoria, Sooke, Merchosin and Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 WestCoaster

WestCoaster
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

I'm relatively new to the Greater Victoria area and have been seearching for information on where I can legally build a small beach or "camp" fire to roast marshmallows etc. without having to camp overnight. I'm from up-Island where this is not an issue - beach fires are legal and it's pretty commonplace. From what I can tell here it's the opposite! The CRD and municipalties seem to be pretty opposed to the idea.

Anyone know of spots on a beach/lake etc that I can show my son the joys of smores! Not a party place....

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

I'm relatively new to the Greater Victoria area and have been seearching for information on where I can legally build a small beach or "camp" fire to roast marshmallows etc. without having to camp overnight. I'm from up-Island where this is not an issue - beach fires are legal and it's pretty commonplace. From what I can tell here it's the opposite! The CRD and municipalties seem to be pretty opposed to the idea.

Anyone know of spots on a beach/lake etc that I can show my son the joys of smores! Not a party place....

Esquimalt Lagoon (which is actually in Colwood) is a nice place and I believe fires are permitted there, providing you obtain a permit...

er.. wait...

Just read:

The City of Colwood realizes the growing importance of creating a healthier community and reducing its impact on the environment. Improving air quality is beneficial to the environment, and more importantly, it contributes to the health and well being of our citizens.

Due to growing public concern, the City of Colwood has taken steps to eliminate backyard burning and beach fires. Effective May 5, 2008 a new bylaw known as the Outdoor Burning Restriction and Regulation Bylaw No. 931 will prohibit all open yard fires, beach fires, campfires, land clearing, demolition and construction waste fires in the City. No beach fire permits will be issued for the Esquimalt Lagoon after this date. Please note that the use of charcoal briquettes, gas barbeques, portable gas campfires, and smokers used for the curing of food are not affected by the new bylaw.

http://colwood.iwebe....asp?PageID=209

What a crock. Honestly. I thought wood burning was suposedly carbon neutral. What if I pay carbon tax on the wood? What if I have a few hamburgers and rid the planet of a methane producing cow in a carbon credit scheme?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:01 PM

Sooke allows you to have fires without explicitly requiring you to camp overnight. The only caveat is it must be on your property or you must receive written permission to have a fire on someone elses property.

More info is available at: http://www.sooke.ca/...nsFlyer_000.pdf

Quite honestly I was not aware that you can't have fires on beaches throughout the CRD. I doubt the majority of people who currently have fires on public beaches even know the ban exists.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

The City of Colwood realizes the growing importance of creating a healthier community and reducing its impact on the environment. Improving air quality is beneficial to the environment, and more importantly, it contributes to the health and well being of our citizens.

Yet they're home to the largest collection of car dealerships south of the Malahat.

The more I think about this the more it irks me. Industry is allowed to spew whatever toxins they want into the air. They can afford the carbon tax, they can afford to buy carbon offset credits. But once again it is average everyday citizens who have to make the biggest changes. It's like curly light bulbs.. household lighting accounts for a small fraction of overall energy consumption, but once again it is everyday citizens who are targeted for ruining the planet with light bulbs.

Anyway..

http://www.campfiresandfirepits.com/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#5 WestCoaster

WestCoaster
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes, it's pretty hypocritical and annoying for these local govt's to ban it outright in the guise of environmental protection. I suspect it has more to do with uptight waterfront homeowners and larger bonfire/parties. It's a shame though that one can'r (legally) just have a little driftwood fire and enjoy the BC outdoors. Guess I'll have to plead ignorance or buck up the $30 or so for a campsite somewhere :mad:

#6 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

Just get the permit. Esquimalt Lagoon is a great place to have a fire.

Fires on beaches have been an ongoing problem in Victoria, given the amount of driftwood. The beaches along Dallas Road used to get major fires quite regularly, requiring expensive Fire Dept call outs (see the thread on municipal salaries). and given that there are often people sleeping among the logs - potentially very dangerous.
Pieta VanDyke

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

Just get the permit. Esquimalt Lagoon is a great place to have a fire.

Look up at my earlier post, there's no more permits being issued for Esq Lagoon.

#8 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Saanich used to allow beach fires at Sayward and Agate beaches.....but alas......no more.

I do not think there is a beach in the CRD that does allow fires, even Sooke and Shirley.

Jordan River and Port Renfrew may be the only spots.

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

The only jurisdictions I know of that have not formally banned fires are the First Nation Reserves - though getting approval there would involve going to the band council. Island View beach is partly on reserve

#10 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

Isn't there some boundary determined by the tide, below which one is no longer in the municipality, but rather in provincial or federal waters?

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

Now there's an interesting idea.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:15 AM

What about backyard fire bowls/ pits in the city? Can't seem to find any info on this. My Google powers are weak.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

What about backyard fire bowls/ pits in the city? Can't seem to find any info on this. My Google powers are weak.

Here's what Colwood say:

Effective May 5, 2008 a new bylaw known as the Outdoor Burning Restriction and Regulation Bylaw No. 931 will prohibit all open yard fires, beach fires, campfires, land clearing, demolition and construction waste fires in the City. No beach fires permitted for the Esquimalt Lagoon . Please note that the use of charcoal briquettes, gas barbeques, portable gas campfires, and smokers used for the curing of food are not affected by the new bylaw.

Under the regulations, chimneas or similar types of contained patio fire appliances will now be permitted for residential use.
Some safety requirements will be in effect for the placement of these units with their use restricted to the hours between dawn and 10:00pm. To ensure the safe installation of your chimnea or patio fireplace, please contact the Colwood Fire Department at 250-478-8321 to request a complimentary safety inspection.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:02 AM

^Thanks.
Hmm. I will have to call the city to find out if they have similar restrictions. I know people that have pits in my neighbourhood, but the last thing I want is a visit by by the fire department and to be slapped a fine.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

This happened to my neighbour not too long ago. He has a pit and the FD showed up one day after he got a fire going.

Know it all.

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

^^ They are not allowed in Victoria.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#17 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

I called Victoria fire dep and the woman on the phone couldn't answer. I left a message with some fire dude. Hopefully I can confirm tomorrow.

#18 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I was at Costco on the weekend - they have propane fire pits for $60 (I think).

#19 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:01 AM

I think the municipalities could put out additional cans for the summer. It is summer isn't it?

#20 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

A fireman friend told me a few years ago that you could have a fire if it was used for cooking. He said to keep a pack of dogs beside you and a few sticks and you would be ok.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users