Photo

Robbins Parking

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#41 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Maybe that employee was doing something that he should not legally be permitted to do?

What I've heard from the boot guys themselves goes like this: If you've paid for parking but have gone over, you get a ticket. If you haven't paid at all, they put a boot on your car ASAP. This happens at least three times a day in this parking lot and I can spot it even before it happens from my apartment window. Young idiot parks newish car, walks away, doesn't walk back, boot gets applied, idiot walks back to car with Noodle Box take-out and finds boot. It happens in the time it takes to pick up a to-go order of food. The VI parking patrol car is in the lot every half an hour on some nights checking for infractions.

#42 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:00 AM

Sounds to me like there is a market for a "boot removal service" for say $40!

#43 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:25 PM

I read an interesting story about car booting.

A fellow lived in one of those awful developments in the US with a home owners association. They contracted a private company to boot cars in their development that didn't meet their ever-changing parking rules.

A resident there happened to violate some minor new rule for parking, and instantly got a boot by the private company, as well as a bill for its removal in his mail box. (as a note, the contract the HOA made with the private company actually cost them money, they were losing money to have this done to their own residents).

He didn't want to pay, and he's an auto mechanic so he just puts some rollers under the boot and pushes the car into his garage.

This started a massive legal battle due to the gray area of car booting. They accused him of stealing their property, he continued to say "If you want your boot, please come pick it up!" but they refused without him paying. I believe the whole thing went on for over a year with each side refusing to budge.

So what is the legality of this? Can I attach a piece of my property on someone else's, demand money to take it back, then accusing them of theft when they don't pay me to give it back?

I say that if you can get your car off their property, it's up to them to collect their clamp if they want it back.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#44 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

So what is the legality of this? Can I attach a piece of my property on someone else's, demand money to take it back, then accusing them of theft when they don't pay me to give it back?

I say that if you can get your car off their property, it's up to them to collect their clamp if they want it back.

I would say that if anything is left on my car, I am entitled to remove it and dispose of it.

Step back a bit however and you realize that your car is left on their property.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#45 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:46 PM

I dunno: wouldn't you then you'd be stealing their goods (the boot) from their property after you implicitly agreed to booting if you violated their property rules? If you don't like their rules, don't park there.

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:13 PM

OlLC1Iy1UkE

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:19 PM

Well, I guess there is no such thing as an envelope or parking ticket under the wiper anymore. I would suggest that people using the U Park lots should be paying close attention to the time as well as the position of their ticket stub.

#48 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

If you want to keep the spaces free for paying customers, why clamp a non-paying customer? That simply ties up the spot for longer.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#49 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

I love that video of the lady towing the tow truck! :)

#50 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:26 PM

this is why when I have to go downtown ..I park at mayfair and bus downtown..I never go down town if I can possibly avoid it..I have change optometrist's no longer go to City news..once a month I will chance going to Jhon's Place..the frustration of new meter's and parking enforcement..is not worth it..so I will stop at timmy's at mayfair and watch downtown Die..this is not the town I grew up in ..it is a strange ugly place..and I stay away...

#51 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

this is why when I have to go downtown ..I park at mayfair and bus downtown..

That's why the parking nazzis do what they do.

#52 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

so I will stop at timmy's at mayfair and watch downtown Die..this is not the town I grew up in ..it is a strange ugly place..and I stay away...

And us Downtown residents are glad you've made that choice.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

...this is not the town I grew up in...

People never complained about strict parking enforcement back when you grew up? When was that?

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

People never complained about strict parking enforcement back when you grew up? When was that?

Perhaps when the majority of residents still got around using horse and buggy?? :P

#55 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:00 PM

From that blog post someone posted up thread it sounds like there's a lawyer looking for a little class action suit action. I've heard from other attorneys before that they never pay tickets from these companies and they just take care of it over the phone. Not sure if that's just a little beer bravado or what but I'd love to know what to say. I know they can't do much to you other than send it to collections and maybe try to sue you and get a judgement against you for the unpaid "ticket".

I am interested in speaking with anyone who has paid a Robbins parking ticket believing it was a city issued ticket or one issued pursuant to a bylaw or regulation. Please contact Sean Hern (Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP) at shern@farris.com. Thanks.

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

From that blog post someone posted up thread it sounds like there's a lawyer looking for a little class action suit action. I've heard from other attorneys before that they never pay tickets from these companies and they just take care of it over the phone. Not sure if that's just a little beer bravado or what but I'd love to know what to say. I know they can't do much to you other than send it to collections and maybe try to sue you and get a judgement against you for the unpaid "ticket".

What they can do is immediately impound your vehicle if they find it parked in one of the lots they manage in the future.

#57 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:48 AM

What a Bunch of dicks.

Thats my first impression from my first interaction with Robbins Parking.

I parked at Ogden Point by the Restraunt.

Went in spent $30 on a meal the other afternoon.

I come out to a ticket.

No I didnt pay for parking because I assumed I was parking in a non paying spot for my visit to the eatery.

Wednesday morning before work I go to Robbins office with the ticket and my receipt from the eatery

The pretty little face behind teh counter tells me too bad so sad you are guilty but I will lower the fine to $15

I say thats not good enough and I want to speak with supervisor. She says no one in but I can write a letter disputing it.

I say no I would rather inform them right now that I prefer them to take me to court.

She smiles her repsonse at me that it aint going to happen and if I dont pay the ticket it will go to collections.

If this happens my perfect credit will become blemished.

So basically you pay or they f*ck you

Im pissed beyond reason.

Now I know why these ticket pricks get beaten on the job occasionally

#58 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

Where exactly did you park? Was the signage clear? If the signage was poor you have a case although you didn't help your cause by going ballistic. If the signage was clear you have to suck it up. Odgen Point is a busy place and you can't just dump your car anywhere and assume it's unlimited free parking. You have to do your due diligence and have a quick glance around at the signage.

Edited by Rob Randall, 03 September 2015 - 09:56 AM.

• weirdie and jonny like this

#59 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Well I didnt go ballistic in teh office I kept an smile and was not rude because I knew there would come a time when I may need to go back do make a further attempt.

The area I parked was on the side where the Pilots park but not in a spot marked pilots only. It appears to me that the area I parked was beyond the pay parking area. there . The Ogden area has paid and non paid areas. In the future Ill read more carefully but something as simple as marking each paid spot with a number like they do at the ferries could make it more user friendly and easier to understand. Some spots say retraunt parking others dont and teh restraunt ony spots which were full dont seem to specify whetehr you need to pay or not

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:02 AM

A parking contract or lack of is not a credit granting or seeking arrangement. Even if it goes to collections it can never be in your credit report. For that they would need a small claims court judgement.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users