• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#121 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

...go on...

All you need to know can be found here Mike: https://www.torproje...verview.html.en

• Mike K. likes this

#122 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

I have been schooling Mike on the pleasures of the "Deep Web" but I'm not sure he spends much time there.

#123 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

Yes in fact Sparky by missing out on the Deep Web most internet users are also missing out on the most interesting and in some cases, hidden, aspects of the veritable gold mine of data that really exists beneath the superficial layers of the internet. The best analogy I've seen is that most web surfers are like commercial fishermen whose nets only descend 100 feet below the surface of an ocean that is 10,000 feet or more deep. Tor is a superb tool to mine the lower depths and has the added advantage of allowing you to do so anonymously.

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

...go on...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#125 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:10 PM

:muching_out:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#126 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

"Inside the NSA" now on the NatGeo channel if you get it. Well worth the watch.....

#127 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:57 PM

"Inside the NSA" now on the NatGeo channel if you get it. Well worth the watch.....

I'd happily pay $2 for it on iTunes or something, I no longer have cable.  Cancelled it and listen to AM talk radio instead. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#128 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

I'd happily pay $2 for it on iTunes or something, I no longer have cable.  Cancelled it and listen to AM talk radio instead. 

Heh I went the other direction; used to listen to AM talk radio when CKNW was in its heyday in the 80's and early 90's but Corus Entertainment has butchered them and the format. We subscribe to NatGeo, History, TLC and OASIS and other similar educational cable stations. Switched over to TELUS Optik TV about 6 months ago. I like the fact they show programs like the "NSA" which mainstream networks generally shy away from.

#129 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

I'm enjoying CKNW's current format.  Only started listening in the last year or so. 

I told Shaw I'd come back when I could pick the channels I wanted and not pay for the piles I don't want. 

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

It's not so much a privacy issue per se, but check out how China handled western reports of Hong Kong police filmed dragging an anti-government protester away to a dark spot where they went on to beat him. Chinese government quickly cut the video feed and replaced it with images of nature. Haha, the future is friendly!

http://www.liveleak....=6bb_1413419860

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:48 PM

Couldn't be any more blatant if they tried. 

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:03 AM

The Great Firewall of China

Beijing has added yet another brick to its Great Firewall, tightening access to Google's email service in the latest phase

of a censorship campaign that has left Chinese citizens unable to access huge swaths of the Internet.

Other Google (GOOG) products, including Search, Sites and Picasa, have been similarly targeted by

Chinese government agencies that govern Internet and social media content.

With Gmail access now severely restricted, Google's suite of services are largely blacked out in China.

Some Gmail users in China reported on Twitter Tuesday that service had been restored.

But Google's own data still shows that fewer than 20% of people in China can access their Gmail.

Access to Twitter (TWTR, Tech30), Facebook (FB, Tech30) and YouTube is blocked in China.

During recent pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong, the Facebook-owned photo sharing app Instagram was blacked out on the Mainland.

Taken together, the restrictions constitute the world's largest -- and most effective -- state-sponsored censorship program.

The effort, officially called "Golden Shield," is more than a decade old.

The effort has left Chinese Internet users with a World Wide Web that bears little resemblance to the uncensored Internet.

http://money.cnn.com...ogle/index.html

#133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

A woman who received an anonymous warning after logging onto a Winnipeg hotel's Wi-Fi is afraid she may be a victim of identity theft.

"He said, 'I know your husband's name. I see your passport. I see all your computer information. 

You have to log off of your Wi-Fi right now because I can see all your credit card numbers,

I can see your photos -- everything!' He could see everything. It was quite creepy," she said.

Michael Legary with Winnipeg-based internet security company Seccuris, said it's a common problem.

"Anyone on that same network can see your computer, and if you have shared files open or things not locked down,

others on that network can browse your system just as easily as you could at home," said Legary.

Legary gives these tips to hotel guests:

• Always turn your computer firewalls on and turn file-sharing settings off.
  • Try not to use hotel Wi-Fi at all; instead, tether electronic devices to phones. 
  • Use a VPN, or virtual private network.  VPNs can be downloaded for free on smartphones, tablets and computers. They create a protective "tunnel" between the user and the internet source. 

He said most hotel chains haven't updated their Wi-Fi service packages in years, and introducing security measures to protect guests could be costly.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2892718?cmp=rss

#134 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

Will people ever get sick of this? 

Location, Sensors, Voice, Photos?! Spotify Just Got Real Creepy With The Data It Collects On You

Music streaming market leader Spotify has decided that it wants to know a lot more about you. It wants to be able to access the sensor information on your phone so it can determine whether you’re walking, running or standing still. It wants to know your GPS coordinates, grab photos from your phone and look through your contacts too. And it may share that information with its partners, so a whole load of companies could know exactly where you are and what you’re up to.

[...]
http://www.forbes.co...privacy-policy/

And Spotify scrambles to apologize:
https://news.spotify.../08/21/sorry-2/

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

Scrambles to apologize? More like scrambles to make excuses.
  • http and sebberry like this

Know it all.

#136 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

Sent to me some months back by a friend and colleague who is ex-Pentagon, ex-USAF, and current VP Security for Radware, a world leader in cyber-security based in Israel which features among other things ex-Mossad and ex-Israeli Army cyber-security experts on its BOD; there are some pretty basic points here but they well worth reinforcing yet again.

For starters read the Terms & Conditions of *any* app you download above all mobile apps; be aware that an upgrade to any of them often re-sets your preferences meaning you need to manually re-set them again and, perhaps above all, try to wean yourself off Google or Bing or any of the mainstream search engines in favor of DuckDuckGo or some other similar SE that does not track your preferences:

http://www.azcentral...-risk/28510747/

#137 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:46 PM

See, it's not just the apps on *my* phone compromising *my* data.  It's *my* information on *other people's* phones that at risk beyond my control.

If my contact details along with my photo is in someone else's phone, them I'm at the mercy of that person to safeguard their data. 

#138 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:10 PM

Oh for crying out loud

http://www.theglobea...rticle26087795/

#139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

Oh for crying out loud

http://www.theglobea...rticle26087795/

I think that you would be very surprised to find out what already happens.

#140 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:09 PM

I think that you would be very surprised to find out what already happens.

I am not remotely surprised given the heritage and origins of the net and the inherently insecure nature of wireless, the cloud and especially the rise of social media. For a knowledgeable cyber security professional - or government and law enforcement agencies with or without the blessing of the court system and with virtually limitless resources, particularly if they pool them cooperatively - its easy pickings relatively speaking.

• spanky123 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users