161 replies to this topic

#141 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Oh for crying out loud

http://www.theglobea...rticle26087795/

Government: Halt.  Stop it. You need concrete, documented reasons to demand information about people.

Police: But terrorists! Perverts! Kidnappers!

Government: This is nothing new.  It's always been like this.

Police: We don't want to need reasons.  Reasons are for losers!

Governemnt: ... ^^^

Police: We're going to do it anyways.

"A new administrative scheme" my ass.  It's flagrant, premeditated subversion of the 100% clear law and precedent.  And, these are police CHIEFS approving this?  The ones in charge of, and providing examples for front line officers?

• Nparker and sebberry like this
"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#142 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

^ Ironically it is law enforcement which is last in line on this and they are probably the ones with the greatest legitimate need for the information. Right now, there are Government agencies that could send a notice to Mike requiring him to turn over all data he has on this system about users. If it was encrypted they could require him to decrypt it. If he refused or ever disclosed to anyone that such a request was ever made then he would be looking at 10 years in jail. No justification or court order would ever have to be provided.

This stuff about the police chiefs is little league.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#143 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

^ Ironically it is law enforcement which is last in line on this and they are probably the ones with the greatest legitimate need for the information. Right now, there are Government agencies that could send a notice to Mike requiring him to turn over all data he has on this system about users. If it was encrypted they could require him to decrypt it. If he refused or ever disclosed to anyone that such a request was ever made then he would be looking at 10 years in jail. No justification or court order would ever have to be provided.

This stuff about the police chiefs is little league.

Exactly; although I understand the link to the story specifically related to the police Chiefs' endorsement of the proposal hence http's comment, mainstream "police" are truly the least of your concerns from a big picture, purely web-privacy perspective. (National) government's - plural - wield far more capability to sniff out a targeted individual or group.

Remember the commercialized interweb as we have come to know it over the last generation+ arose and sat initially and squarely atop the older ARPANet foundation, a US government, that is to say Pentagon-funded and sponsored initiative. There are more back door traps and entry points than you can begin to imagine. My advice for starters, if you wish to retain any semblance of privacy, would be to wean yourself off of Google, Yahoo, Bing or any other primary search engine, utilize TOR as your browser and while you are at it kill your FB account. Otherwise be content with and confine yourself to posting online updates about your cat or how your garden is coming along :)

#144 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:03 PM

^ I thought Al Gore invented the Internet.
  • Matt R. likes this

#145 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

No, he invented global warming. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#146 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:33 PM

I'm sure that's how he remembers it, just before the global warming light-bulb clicked on......

#147 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:25 PM

I just watched Citizenfour. Very well done. Ed Snowden is quite the guy.

#148 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

I just watched Citizenfour. Very well done. Ed Snowden is quite the guy.

A hero.    

#149 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:23 AM

At one point Edward made the comment that his greatest fear was that he would go out on a limb and nobody would care.

Sadly we are slowly coming to that as the steady barrage of stories about yet another company selling data or the Government spying on its own citizens is just becoming noise.

I am impressed however that my facebook feed is not yet sending me targeted political ads and commentary. With all of the data the Government is syphoning in I would have expected them to make better use of it. I guess that there is still time yet!

Edited by spanky123, 30 August 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#150 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 01:13 PM

BC's Privacy Commissioner has slammed two BC Government ministries and the Office of the Premier for deleting emails and failing to fulfill Freedom-of-Information duties.

In the part of the investigation now going to the RCMP, Denham's investigation finds "it's more likely than not" that a government staffer allegedly "triple deleted" emails covering the so called highway of tears, after a request for information on the subject came in.

http://www.cfax1070....-deleted-emails

#151 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hmmm. I thought that the PC was generally barred from disclosing specific details of investigations, specifically the sworn details of individuals who were interviewed under oath. The reason being that the testimony can only be used within the scope of the PC investigation and is not admissible in court.

#152 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

You may end up wanting to block Facebook from accessing your camera...

Facebook wants to secretly watch you through your smartphone camera Patent for 'emotion-based technology' granted to offer tailored content and advertising.

Facebook wants to get up close and personal with its users after a patent was revealed detailing a desire to secretly watch users through their webcam or smartphone camera, spying on your mood in order to sell you tailored content or advertisements.

The purpose behind the invasive idea is to analyse people through the camera in real time while they browse online and if it recognises you looking happy, bored or sad, it would deliver an advert fitting your emotion. If you were forlorn, for example, it would be able to serve an ad to perk you up, or know what products you had previously looked at online and put them under your nose at just the right time.

[...]

http://www.ibtimes.c...-camera-1625061

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#153 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

The only way to be sure.

#154 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

The only way to be sure.

Great, you just got me put on a list for watching that.

#155 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

:)

#156 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

Facebook just had the biggest wipeout in stock market history.

Shares plunged 19% on Thursday after executives warned that revenue growth would slow as the company focuses on user privacy.

The sell-off vaporized about $119 billion in market value — the biggest single-day loss for any public company in history, according to Thomson Reuters.

For founder Mark Zuckerberg, the loss came to almost $16 billion, according to Forbes, which tracks billionaire wealth in real time. That dropped him from fourth to sixth on the list of richest people in the world.

Facebook Chief Financial Officer David Wehner said on a conference call with investors that Facebook is "putting privacy first" after the Cambridge Analytica scandal triggered a wave of horrible press, customer angst and regulatory scrutiny around the world.

https://money.cnn.co...drop/index.html

#157 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:04 PM

It was a big loss in a short period of time but it just took them back to where the stock was valued in May.

• sebberry and lanforod like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#158 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:52 AM

Ring on Thursday introduced a new product to its growing lineup of smart home devices -- the Ring Always Home Cam. Different from the Amazon company's other home security cameras, the Always Home Cam is a flying camera that docs when it isn't in use. 

The Ring Always Home Cam will be available in 2021 and will cost $250. 

[attachment=28137:screenshot-www.cnet.com-2020.09.24-13_51_48.png]

https://www.cnet.com...e-of-your-home/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2020 - 09:53 AM.

#159 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

I guess it shouldn't surprise me anymore how people are willing to give up all of their privacy.

#160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,854 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

i love it.  this thing just flies around your house providing surveillance.  but it can't intervene in any situation or eliminate any threat.

just like a human security guard.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2020 - 11:01 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users