Photo

North 48 | Victoria | Langley at Broughton | CLOSED in 2017

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

Every day I park right across the street from the "Black Hat" (by Bistro 28) @ Broughton & Langley downtown. It has signage like a pub and a sizable bar inside, plus a raised area (for seating or stage I'm not sure). Workers are busy there but I can't find anything on the web about it. Anybody know what the plan is? I wouldn't mind another "food primary but really it's a pub" choice, as long as it isn't pretentious and has a decent beer list.

#2 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Twitter response from the Black Hat folk:

"We are opening in 10 - 14 days. Food will have a similar feel to what we serve at Bistro28. Driftwood on tap and a good selection of import/specialty bottles."

#3 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:50 AM

Sign on the Black Hat's door indicates they're opening September 10. Beginning to look quite presentable but perhaps pricey?

#4 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

Today's T-C:

Chef hangs his hat downtown

Sam Chalmers has decided to hang his hat, literally, in the downtown core.

Sam Chambers, chef and owner of Black Hat Bistro, takes his successful formula from Oak Bay to downtown core.

The chef and owner of Oak Bay’s Bistro 28 has hung the black fedora he used to wear while cooking on a new peg at the corner of Langley and Broughton streets — the site of his latest venture aptly named the Black Hat, which will opens tonight for family and friends.

The hanging of the hat, which hugs the wall near the bar, is as much a statement of intent as a touch of decor. Chalmers, 31, is staking his claim that he’s ready for prime time.

[Edited by mod]

Please remember to link to the article itself and only include a maximum of two of the original article's paragraphs. :)

#5 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Black Hat's menu in the window. Prices are about on par with Brasserie L'Ecole, which may not encourage me just to wander in a couple of times per month (as they're after frequent visits from locals). Sausage et frites for $14 was the closest thing to have with a beer that wasn't too pricey. Mostly a wine hangout I imagine, though they have Driftwood on tap. I'm sure the food is wonderful, but I'm more of a pub guy I think :)

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Facebook:

Mark your day-timer for THIS Thursday: The The Black Hat by Bistro28 restaurant is having a one year anniversary party on October 18th from 7PM-11PM. Complimentary appetizers and food stations showcasing the menu will be in place. As well
as samples of our signature cocktails.

Please RSVP: https://www.facebook...52829521527506/

"It has been one year since we opened the doors and welcomed you all in to The Black Hat. We invite you to join us as we celebrate a year of hard work, fun times, new friends and a lot of delicious food.

We will be postponing dinner service for the evening of Thursday October 18th and instead be creating a cocktail style reception with food stations that showcase our menu to show our appreciation to you, Victoria, for a fantastic first year.

Come join us for an evening as we celebrate The Black Hat turning one. Entertainment will be provided by the fabulous Dj. Bellyfish

No tickets or cover this will be an open house event. As we have launched our Facebook page we will be throwing a contest for a $100.00 gift certificate. Enter to win just by liking our page: https://www.facebook...219390261447658

"
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Facebook: T

he Black Hat by Bistro28: Thank you for all of your support & patronage over the past couple of years. We will reopen as Victoria's exciting new dining experience, North 48, on Friday, November 15. We look forward to seeing you!

250-381-6454

MORE on the new name/style: http://www.northfortyeight.com/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#8 wisevictoria

wisevictoria
  • 119 posts
  • Location225 Dundas Street, Victoria, BC

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Went there a few times and had mixed experiences. My meal was always fine, but other people in my party were often very disappointed. Luck of the order I guess.

I don't feel Black Hat had any real distinguishing feature to keep locals coming back and make it stand apart. Off the beaten track location doesn't help either.

Hopefully the new incarnation can gain some traction.

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

I said this when they opened, that they needed a decent lunch special to attract the many nearby public sector employees, in order to keep the lights on. They were closed at lunch for the first while and then just certain days. I work quite literally across the street and have never considered going there for lunch (or dinner). Hopefully, they figure it out this time.

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,979 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Great looking menu, but I wonder how they get away with serving beer by the growler?

Matt.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

but I wonder how they get away with serving beer by the growler?

In the eyes of the liquor board wouldn't a growler be in the same category as a pitcher of beer?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

I liked Black Hat quite a lot. The beef tartar and drinks were fantastic, but it was never busy. Like wisevictoria, others in my party were often disappointed in the food.

#13 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

Four of us had dinner at North 48 recently and we all enjoyed it. I particularly enjoyed the new lower price points compared to Black Hat (which I liked but only visited once) Duck wings were a fan favourite among the guys and the ladies really liked the baked brussel sprout salad. A three protein entre was the dinner special for $20, it included sous vide chicken, bone  marrow and pork belly. All of it was great and I will return.

#14 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

New patio from designer JC Scott.

10402537_10152297102644086_5951130027182

• Mike K. likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#15 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:16 PM

That's good, a patio always helps, especially one with southern exposure

#16 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:25 PM

We've walked by this restaurant many times and finally decided to try it tonight.  During the meal I thought "why did we wait so long"?  It's not talked about much and it's certainly not in an ideal location for tourists, being off the beaten path, but what a hidden gem.  I mean oh man, it's got great food, great service, and reasonable prices.  Everything is made in house and the quality shows.  We shared the Bistro Salad off the happy hour menu for $7 (normally $11) and split the Pappardelle Bolognese, with hand made pasta - one of the best I've ever had.  For dessert we shared the warm donuts with chocolate and raspberry sauce for $7.  They have so many interesting things on the menu we're coming back soon.  Hungry yet?  :thumbsup:

http://www.northfort...t.com/home.html

20749402046_ed1c46d6de_h.jpg

20588904429_9fe16463c2_h.jpg

20782588321_fe09436ced_h.jpg

20766210412_6d51401b85_h.jpg

20766218032_03f174a49b_h.jpg

20587648180_857cb47288_h.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 21 August 2015 - 07:27 PM.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Mixed365 like this

#17 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:06 PM

That little patio catches some nice afternoon sun as well!

#18 hunterk8

hunterk8
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

North48 happy hour is also decent, and good service to boot. So far, so good!

#19 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:49 PM

Went tonight. Absolutely fantastic. Various dishes by our party included the hot pot (best he's every had), ribs - fantastic, tacos (korean pork belly) which I found perfect, the hamburger - delicious. The homemade potato chips to start are great, and a side of mac n cheese for the toddler disappeared fast too, almost as fast as my happy hour Fat Tug.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 10:49 AM

We went a couple of weeks ago for lunch, wife had the French onion soup, I had the clam chowder, both excellent, and great service, would highly recommend.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users