Photo

Deer issues in Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1101 replies to this topic

#901 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 06:45 AM

It's free meat but you can't harvest it legally.  I say make bow and arrow use on deers in urban settings legal.  I'm a pretty chinzy guy.  Give me over $400 in meat for free and I'll take it.

The butcher economy will take off too.  Everyone wins!

#902 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:29 AM

Thinking about this on the way to work today: I see deer every day in Gordon Head. However, I suspect it's often the same deer. Do we have any idea what the actual numbers are, say, south of Mt. Doug Park, east of Blanshard? Is this 50 deer, or 200? I'd guess closer to 50...

#903 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:35 AM

Saw a dead deer on Esquimalt Road just past the Johnson Street Bridge the other day. It looked like a buck.

I think I see dear in the urban core of the city on a daily basis now. This isn't good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#904 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

Do we have any idea what the actual numbers are, say, south of Mt. Doug Park, east of Blanshard? Is this 50 deer, or 200? I'd guess closer to 50...

#905 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

It's free meat but you can't harvest it legally.

IIRC they changed the law recently to allow harvesting of animals struck by motor vehicles. Sounds like a loophole waiting to exploited. ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#906 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:45 AM

I think I see dear in the urban core of the city on a daily basis now. This isn't good.

I know.  Guys need a bachelor night at least once a week.

#907 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

I suspect a lot of these deer aren't even from Victoria. Once word gets out how easy it is to live on the streets here...you just can't fend them off. Damned interlopers!

• Love the rock likes this

#908 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:54 AM

We should just cull all animals in the region and put up a 50 foot fence to prevent all animals from coming in.

Edited by UrbanRail, 28 October 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#909 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:22 PM

We should just cull all animals in the region and put up a 50 foot fence to prevent all animals from coming in.

And we can get the deer to pay for it, too!

• johnk and nagel like this

#910 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 01:40 PM

And we can get the deer to pay for it, too!

They will, have you seen the price of venison.

#911 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Oak Bay Community Satisfaction Survey Gives District Thumbs Up and Asks Council to Preserve the Existing Sense of Community

November 1, 2016

.........The District commissioned NRG Research Group to design and conduct the survey and 414 households participated – 400 residents were surveyed by telephone (random digital dialing) and 14 by email invitation. Based on our population and sample size, the maximum margin of error for the total sample is ±4.6%, 19 times out of 20. The District also offered an open link to the survey posted on the District website in parallel with the telephone survey enabling all interested Oak Bay resident to access the survey online. The results of the web survey will be presented at a later date.........

Urban deer:

• 70% of respondents feel that there is an overpopulation of deer in the District of Oak Bay.
  • Those who feel there is a deer overpopulation in the District of Oak Bay are likely to support an increase in property taxes to fund efforts to reduce the deer population.
  • 70% say they would support such a tax increase; 28%, on the other hand, say they would oppose a property tax increase to fund efforts to reduce the deer population.
  • 78% of those who feel there is a deer overpopulation in the District of Oak Bay would support a deer cull, assuming this was the only option available to the District to reduce the deer population.
  • 20% would oppose a deer cull even if it were the only option available to control the deer population.
  •  
  • .........see more: https://www.oakbay.c...rict-thumbs-and

Edited by todd, 01 November 2016 - 11:21 AM.

#912 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:39 PM

Hopefully, nobody suggests deer vasectomies as a strategy: http://nypost.com/20...-crazed-beasts/

#913 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:44 PM

Hopefully, nobody suggests deer vasectomies as a strategy: http://nypost.com/20...-crazed-beasts/

Man, that's funny.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#914 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:55 PM

I think the question is, what is the safest way to undertake a cull?  I'd think that maybe a tranquilize first approach might be most humane and least risk.  At least the risk of a wayward shot is mitigated. 

#915 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

And, they're going the Planned Parenthood route in Oak Bay with contraceptives pitched to "fix" deer problem.  http://www.iheartrad...ement-1.2189886

#916 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

And, they're going the Planned Parenthood route in Oak Bay with contraceptives pitched to "fix" deer problem.  http://www.iheartrad...ement-1.2189886

More controversial, OK I guess with a cull. Next election about two years away.

#917 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:10 PM

......Jensen said there’s no question the number of deer is on the rise. Eight years ago, vehicle collisions involving deer were rare in Oak Bay. This year the municipality is on track to haul away 50 deer carcasses, he said.

......see more:http://www.timescolo...-plan-1.2789711

#918 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 12:48 PM

......Jensen said there’s no question the number of deer is on the rise. Eight years ago, vehicle collisions involving deer were rare in Oak Bay. This year the municipality is on track to haul away 50 deer carcasses, he said.

......see more:http://www.timescolo...-plan-1.2789711

seriously?  50?  There's hardly any roads in Oak Bay and everyone drives 25 kph!

• todd likes this

#919 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:11 AM

“This solution to implement a immune contraception program will undo the log jam at council, and the community can be assured that the deer population will be managed,” Ney said after the meeting. “The survey showed that the community was divided around a cull and that there is no social license to carry out a lethal intervention to reduce deer. Managing the deer population with fertility control allows us to get past the ‘urban versus nature’ divide.”

Source: http://www.oakbaynew.../401911855.html

This is what the results that have been released so far to the public show, they don't show a divided community.  They have only released the phone survey and not the online survey , why? Are they suspicious of the results?

Oak Bay Community Satisfaction Survey Gives District Thumbs Up and Asks Council to Preserve the Existing Sense of Community

November 1, 2016

.........The District commissioned NRG Research Group to design and conduct the survey and 414 households participated – 400 residents were surveyed by telephone (random digital dialing) and 14 by email invitation. Based on our population and sample size, the maximum margin of error for the total sample is ±4.6%, 19 times out of 20. The District also offered an open link to the survey posted on the District website in parallel with the telephone survey enabling all interested Oak Bay resident to access the survey online. The results of the web survey will be presented at a later date.........

Urban deer:

• 70% of respondents feel that there is an overpopulation of deer in the District of Oak Bay.
  • Those who feel there is a deer overpopulation in the District of Oak Bay are likely to support an increase in property taxes to fund efforts to reduce the deer population.
  • 70% say they would support such a tax increase; 28%, on the other hand, say they would oppose a property tax increase to fund efforts to reduce the deer population.
  • 78% of those who feel there is a deer overpopulation in the District of Oak Bay would support a deer cull, assuming this was the only option available to the District to reduce the deer population.
  • 20% would oppose a deer cull even if it were the only option available to control the deer population.
  •  
  • .........see more: https://www.oakbay.c...rict-thumbs-and

Why beat around the bush? It was horribly worded survey why not just ask:

1. Do you want to do nothing?

2. Do you want Immuno-contraception?

3. Do you want a cull?

Were they charging by the question? Pathetic.

Edited by Mike K., 21 November 2016 - 12:06 PM.

#920 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

This whole thing is a joke.

The are going to use clover traps same as last year.

However now they are still going to need to get a couple people to go up to the clover trap fold it up on the deer and sit or lay on it while the deer is thrashing about and freaking

The easy part now would be to put the bolt gun to the head of the deer and kill it instantly.Deer is dead on gone for good.

Instead they will do the exact same thing when they come across the deer in the trap a couple guys collapsing it onto the deer holding it down while it freaks out but this time they bring along Dr Dolittle who will give it an injection that may or may not work and also staple a plastic ear tag to its ear.

The animal rights people want no or little stress to the animal...great which one is less stressful? The bolt gun.

this doesn't solve the over population of deer because they are still here and the ones who don't get the needle are still producing off spring AND the procedure may not even work

the citizens  and the person who dreamed up this "solution" are a special breed themselves

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users