Deer issues in Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
1101 replies to this topic

#941 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

Is this in the deer thread because they are concerned about deer density?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#942 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

I'm trying to figure out why it would take an increase in taxes to cull the deer population. If every household kills just one deer, put it out with the kitchen scraps collection it would all be taken care of.

I've done my part.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#943 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm trying to figure out why it would take an increase in taxes to cull the deer population. If every household kills just one deer, put it out with the kitchen scraps collection it would all be taken care of.

I've done my part.

That's pretty disgusting, LJ.

Everybody knows that much deer hair contaminates the recycling stream.  What is required is shaving of the deer hair, saving that for donations to a charity that makes wigs for cancer treatment patients.  Stiff, wiry wigs in this case, but very beautiful.    Then the rest of the carcass can go in the scraps program.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#944 aastra

aastra
  • 20,743 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

I was replying to the earlier post that showed the community survey results. If you want to be a Draconion jerkwad S.O.B. of a moderator then please, feel free to move my post to a more appropriate thread. I humbly yield to your enlightened discretion. Jerkwad.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#945 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:25 PM

I'm going to cite this Oak Bay community satisfaction survey as yet more evidence that Victorians aren't really clear about the terminology that gets tossed around (and possibly yet more evidence that Victorians aren't really clear about the municipal borders). How else to explain the presence of "overdensification" in a list of Oak Bay concerns? How else to comprehend the premise that some Oak Bay residents could possibly be "unhappy with densification"?

Population in 2015 (estimate) - 18,366

Population in 2011 - 18,015
Population in 2006 - 17,908
Population in 2001 - 17,798          
Population in 1996 - 17,865     
Population in 1991 - 17,815

The population of Oak Bay has grown by a whopping 3% since 1991. Not 3% per year. Just 3%! In other words, the population of Oak Bay is effectively unchanged over a span of almost 25 years.

And yet overdensification is on the minds of the people. They're concerned about overdensification in a municipality where overdensification would seem to have no relevance whatsoever.

So what's the deal here? Are the good people of Oak Bay actually concerned about overdensification in downtown Victoria? Or in some other area? If so, why?

If secondary suites were legalized as has been proposed overtime that should raise the population in Oak Bay theoretically somewhat substantially, I think maybe that's what some people are thinking of when they select that option, and some may be thinking of literally physically large homes “monster homes”(in comparison to the property) that have been a touchy subject in the OB. Whether or not that was the intended question.

Edited by todd, 12 December 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#946 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:50 PM

The population of Oak Bay has grown by a whopping 3% since 1991. Not 3% per year. Just 3%! In other words, the population of Oak Bay is effectively unchanged over a span of almost 25 years.

And yet overdensification is on the minds of the people. They're concerned about overdensification in a municipality where overdensification would seem to have no relevance whatsoever.

So what's the deal here? Are the good people of Oak Bay actually concerned about overdensification in downtown Victoria? Or in some other area? If so, why?

One could assume that in Oak Bay it is an overage of dense people that is the concern, and if a cull should or should not occur at taxpayer expense.

#947 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:10 PM

One could assume that in Oak Bay it is an overage of dense people that is the concern, and if a cull should or should not occur at taxpayer expense.

Only about 30%, but it's maybe just holiday weight.

#948 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

The provincial government is giving Oak Bay $20,000 to outfit 20 deer with GPS tracking collars and install 40 motion-sensor cameras to photograph the animals as they wander its trails.

This is the beginning of a plan to reduce the number of deer through the use of birth-control drugs.

Oak Bay will match the provincial funds and contribute $20,000 to the first phase of the deer-management project, Mayor Nils Jensen said Thursday.

The district has partnered with the Oak Bay-based Urban Wildlife Stewardship Society to carry out phase one, which is the research portion of the project.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.rZ7Kn2hw.dpuf

We really are a ridiculous society.  Why not give these GPS collars a shock or sound device that eventually has all the deer leaving the municipality.  Surely we have the technology to build a virtual border that the deer choose not to cross.   And for each deer, that border keeps pushing it out.

I was not many months ago that we said that it was not possible to tranquilize the deer and move them.  But now we are able to get collars onto them somehow without doing any harm to them?

• todd likes this

#949 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

With the large amount of snow we've had on salt Spring since December, it has been easier for people to track animals and it's believed we now have three resident cougars on the island. Typically we will see one swim across Sansum narrows, have a snack and then leave or get removed. I have indeed noticed a lack of deer while driving in the evenings and early mornings.

Matt.

#950 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

I was not many months ago that we said that it was not possible to tranquilize the deer and move them.  But now we are able to get collars onto them somehow without doing any harm to them?

Probably the only time you can get a collar on a deer is while they are they are making whoopee.

#951 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

I sometimes get the feeling all the crazy in the world eventually finds its way to the CRD. Apparently, it is now the fault of the flora that we have a deer problem.

...the planting of hostas, roses, tulips or any other delicious deer food should be prohibited in the municipality of Oak Bay. Problem solved...

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.HvQkjyyG.dpuf

And no, the letter writer does not appear to be joking.  :whyme:

#952 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

http://www.bclaws.ca...ide/00_96488_01

"attractant" means any of the following:

( a ) food or food waste, compost or other waste or garbage that could attract dangerous wildlife;

( b ) a carcass or part of a carcass of an animal or fish, or other meat;

( c ) any other substance or thing prescribed by regulation of the minister;

http://laws-lois.jus...page-1.html#h-2

food includes any article manufactured, sold or represented for use as food or drink for human beings, chewing gum, and any ingredient that may be mixed with food for any purpose whatever; (aliment)                 http://laws-lois.jus...page-1.html#h-2

NOT: Bobbex, hostas, roses, tulips, etc.

Maybe roses without the Bobbex. Maybe rocks.

Edited by todd, 27 May 2017 - 12:16 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#953 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

WILDLIFE ACT - http://www.bclaws.ca...ide/00_96488_01

(6) A person does not contravene subsection (2)

(a) by conducting a farm operation, as defined in section 1 of the Farm Practices Protection (Right to Farm) Act, if the person

(i) conducts the farm operation on, in or over land anywhere in British Columbia, and

http://www.bclaws.ca...131_01#section1

FARM PRACTICES PROTECTION (RIGHT TO FARM) ACT

http://www.bclaws.ca...131_01#section1

https://www.oakbay.c...une 22 2015.pdf

6.5.2.(2) Without limiting the application or derogating from the requirements of the Rubbish and Weed Control Bylaw, small-scale urban agriculture, provided, 

(a) the total area of land within the parcel which is under cultivation for the production of fruits and vegetables for sale or exchange does not exceed 95 sq. m (1,023 s.f.), with two contiguous parcels straddled by a single principal building to be treated as one for the purpose of applying this subparagraph; 

(b) fruits or vegetables produced for sale or exchange are not grown or cultivated within a greenhouse or other building; (c ) no artificial lighting is used in connection with the small-scale urban agriculture use; 

(d) no sign is erected, placed or maintained on the parcel identifying or in any way connected with the small-scale urban agriculture use; and (e) fruits or vegetables produced for sale or exchange are not available for purchase by the general public on the parcel. (Bylaw 4381 – Dec 17/07

https://www.oakbay.c...une 22 2015.pdf

Edited by todd, 27 May 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#954 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

Anyone tried Coyote Urine? Been thinking about it a lot, just not sure. Not sure how they obtain it either.

Some anti cull activists were suggesting it at one time can't seem to find the article anymore.

Edited by todd, 27 May 2017 - 01:43 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#955 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Anyone tried Coyote Urine?

My tastes aren't quite so exotic. I usually stick with a nice dry sauvignon blanc.

• sdwright.vic, GabriolaGirl, todd and 1 other like this

#956 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

Anyone tried Coyote Urine? Been thinking about it a lot, just not sure. Not sure how they obtain it either.

Some anti cull activists were suggesting it at one time can't seem to find the article anymore.

Business opportunity?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#957 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

Business opportunity?

Coyote rentals, just need to get his dog tag.

#958 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,729 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Coyote rentals, just need to get his dog tag.

CoV licensing fees will eat up all profit.

#959 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

CoV licensing fees will eat up all profit.

Yeah, maybe that's a bad idea.

#960 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

Having just had all of my rose heads eaten by the little f@#kers, I'm thinking that .22 rentals might be a good option, also! :mad:

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and todd like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users