Photo

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

A rabbit darted out in front of Chris Coleman's car in front of Quadra Elementary last week so rabbits are not only a Uvic issue.

Victoria councillors are considering changes to the animal control bylaw requiring pet stores to have rabbits spayed or neutered. This would be a good measure, but does not address the colony of rabbits already loose in the city. There is a large population in Uplands Park that left unchecked could rival the 902 that were once in residence at the University.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

There's also a swath of rabbits around Mt. Doug Park.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Perhaps we should allow more cougars into the city.

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Perhaps we should allow more cougars into the city.

Oh sure, then every guy under the age of 25 is at risk.:P

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

Rabbit haters rejoice; our cat deposited a dead bunny on our dining room floor tonight.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

MMMM Rabbit!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

"Rabbits [for meat] are back - trendy and profitable"

#8 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

The number of rabbits on the on/off ramps at Hwy 1 and Helmcken has been getting out of control. Must be pushing 100, if not more, in one small area.

#9 vicernie

vicernie
  • 185 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:50 PM

let's link  this topic to the restaurants one.  yum.....

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:32 PM

lanforod, on 16 Feb 2015 - 1:17 PM, said:

The number of rabbits on the on/off ramps at Hwy 1 and Helmcken has been getting out of control. Must be pushing 100, if not more, in one small area.

You would think that would sort of take care of itself wouldn't you?

• Jill likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:52 PM

I think the way to deal with rabbits on off/on ramps is to issue them all with mandatory blindfolds and earplugs. 

#12 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

Drove on and off the Helmcken overpass today and seems there are less than 20 Rabbits there now. I did see a guy on a few mornings this past month walking to his trucks with trapped rabbits in cages. his job is almost complete

#13 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:28 PM

My dog would have had the job done by now.

#14 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:59 PM

My dog would have had the job done by now.

You hate rabbits too?  Those rabbits are fine.  I fully expect to see them at Helmcken for years to come.

#15 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 10:15 PM

You hate rabbits too?  Those rabbits are fine.  I fully expect to see them at Helmcken for years to come.

Rather they not eat my foliage but I'm okay with rabbits, never had big rabbit issues, just hate Deer, Rats, Mice, Spiders(was bit as a child arm swelled up like a balloon very painful), and all non-beneficial microscopic organisms. But really really really hate urban Deer with a passion, as you know.

Edited by todd, 27 March 2016 - 10:18 PM.

• nagel likes this

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Bah Humbunnie...Easter is over and I didn't get a chocolate egg, so time to open the season on them.

• todd likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

The province is going to install a camera at Helmcken and Hwy 1 to catch people releasing their rabbits along the highway median.

Press release:

Rabbits continue to be dropped off at the Helmcken interchange.  These rabbits have multiplied, creating  a hazard for all road users and undermining the road and sidewalks. In the coming weeks, new signs and a security camera will be installed on Highway 1 at the interchange to discourage the abandonment of rabbits there.

“Thanks to the dedication and best efforts of ministry staff and a group of local volunteers, only a few rabbits are left to be captured at the interchange,” said Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone. “Despite this hard work, additional rabbits are still being dropped off.  This is very disappointing, and means we have to put new measures in place to protect the travelling public as well as our transportation infrastructure.”

Soon, the ministry will install signs that prohibit rabbit drop-offs and shortly after, a new security camera will monitor the area for unauthorized activities. Crews will also begin repairing the areas damaged by the rabbit burrows, including the sidewalks, embankment and landscaping.

The continued abandonment of rabbits by the public have made these steps necessary. Considerable progress had been made in capturing, spaying and neutering, and transferring the rabbits that were inhabiting the Helmcken interchange area. The project was almost complete when approximately 20 more adult rabbits were released at the location.

Unfortunately, the financial resources contributed by the Province and generously donated by the group of local volunteers to rescue these rabbits are limited. In the future, the ministry will be forced to consider other solutions, which may include euthanization for any new rabbits found at the Helmcken interchange.

“The rescue group is very happy that approximately 100 rabbit lives will be saved as a result of this project.  However, we are shocked and saddened that individuals continue to abandon rabbits at the Helmcken overpass site,” said Dr. Laurie Gaines. “Abandoning pets outdoors is an unacceptable practice. Tresspassing on the median and feeding the rabbits is also unacceptable. Anyone who is feeding the rabbits needs to stop immediately so that we have the best chance of rescuing the remaining animals.”

The ministry and local volunteers would like to remind the public that anyone who drops off a rabbit at this area not only endangers the rabbits themselves but also risks injuring drivers. If you are no longer able to keep your pet, please contact an animal shelter and always have your pets spayed or neutered. Under the Wildlife Act, releasing or abandoning animals carries possible fines of $345 per offence.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

Cull those rabbit releasers.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:58 PM

FFS.

Has NOBODY considered that the reason people drop rabbits there, is because they know they are being adopted, cared for, sent to good homes etc. from this location?

Pet bunny will have a good life if left here with all the other content bunnies.

If we just told people that we kill all rabbits dropped of anywhere around the CRD, nobody (or few) would do it.

• tedward likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:11 PM

FFS.

Has NOBODY considered that the reason people drop rabbits there, is because they know they are being adopted, cared for, sent to good homes etc. from this location?

Pet bunny will have a good life if left here with all the other content bunnies.

If we just told people that we kill all rabbits dropped of anywhere around the CRD, nobody (or few) would do it.

Well I suppose now that tent city is gone we need something else to rant about for the next 9 months...bring on the sacred fire.

Edited by Bingo, 15 August 2016 - 04:12 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users