Photo

Rabbits, rabbits, rabbits.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:21 PM

Anyone consider that the rabbits just hopped there on their own from the surrounding area. The goose around the hospital is infested with rabbits. Anyway, when they fail to catch anyone dumping rabbits this story will go down the rabbit hole.
  • VicHockeyFan and nagel like this

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Anyone consider that the rabbits just hopped there on their own from the surrounding area. 

I don't think they are native rabbits.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

How about not being able to buy a pet bunny unless it's neutered .
License meat breeders are exempted but must account for their live stock .

#24 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:12 AM

How about not being able to buy a pet bunny unless it's neutered .
License meat breeders are exempted but must account for their live stock .

Do they even sell bunnies in stores?  I got mine for $20 from some teenager.  I haven't gotten her spayed because she's not able to get out and turn her tricks.

I'm pretty sure if push came to shove and she had to go, I could sneak her onto bunny island without getting caught.

Anyone have any proof that bunny island actually caused an accident?  Or does it just entertain kids in the car on the way back from Costco...

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

I am pretty sure that wild rabbits wouldn't just sit their all day in the same patch.

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:03 PM

Bring back the lucky rabbits foot, by having rabbit foot trucks down at the cruise ship terminal.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

And if that works bring back the Davy Crockett coon skin hats.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:36 PM

They are installing security cameras to see what's those rabbits are up to.

If they can't get the population under control, the government might have to consider alternate methods to deal with rabbits including euthanasia.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...edian-1.3723556

#29 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:42 AM

There were many rabbits left behind.

I drive past that place each morning and saw the guy in the red pickup truck loading his catch of rabbits from the traps every day .

it then stopped .

He never caught them all because I would see the left behind ones and wonder when he was going to finish the job but he never returned

Guess he thought he had them all

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

Anyone consider that the rabbits just hopped there on their own from the surrounding area. 

I don't think they are native rabbits.

Dudes, Vancouver Island has NO native rabbits or hares.

BC is home to one native species of Hare, the Snowshoe Hare and 2 species of rabbits, the White-tailed Jackrabbit and Nuttall's Cottontail. Vancouver Island, however, has no native rabbits or hares. Apart from the Eastern Cottontail, the only other species of rabbit found on Vancouver Island is the introduced European Rabbit Oryctolagus cuniculus. This single species is the ancestor to 80 varieties of Domestic rabbit.

http://www.rabbitadv...ildlife_act.htm

But sure, obviously they could have crossed the highway on their own without human assistance.

Edited by aastra, 17 August 2016 - 10:44 AM.

• tedward likes this

#31 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:16 PM

Yeah I'm not saying wild rabbits here. I'm saying that the whole area is infested with rabbits. They probably come and go or what not. Anyways like I said this story will go down the rabbit hole and no one will be caught.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

There are still plenty of rabbits on the outskirts of the university ring road, you just don't hear about it.

• rjag likes this

#33 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 August 2016 - 08:43 AM

There are still plenty of rabbits on the outskirts of the university ring road, you just don't hear about it.

At UVic, there are some, yes. More the last 6 months or so it seems.

Deer are a bigger issue at the moment.

#34 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yup, they got rid of the domestic bunnies and Hares popped up. We live between UVic and Mt Tolmie and our garden is inundated with them. Between them and the deer its very stressful on our dogs and the damage continues in our garden.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:17 AM

Yup, they got rid of the domestic bunnies and Hares popped up. We live between UVic and Mt Tolmie and our garden is inundated with them. Between them and the deer its very stressful on our dogs and the damage continues in our garden.

Plus you have that attack cat in your neighbourhood too.

• rjag likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:30 PM

I used to have a little 6 pound dog that would chase the deer out of the yard, kept it pretty much clear. The one I have now runs and hides in the house if it smells a deer anywhere near.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:47 AM

Rats, rats, rats.

The bunnies were breeding like, well, rabbits and the herd grew quickly. When the population on campus topped 1,000, the university decided to go ahead with a cull.

Needless to say, killing bunnies wasn't a popular plan with everyone.

I still remember interviewing one of the unlucky UVic officials who was in charge of organizing the cull and responding to the considerable opposition in the community.

He acknowledged the strong feelings and politely noted that while the plan for a rabbit cull was new, the university had long been trapping rats with no complaint.

Rats are everywhere in Victoria.

A press release just arrived in my email inbox from Orkin Pest Control, ranking Victoria in the No. 2 position on "British Columbia's Top 20 'Rattiest' Cities List."

(Vancouver is at the top of the list, in case you were wondering.)

And yet, I've never heard of any effort to protect rats.

Rats are caught in a sort of legal limbo.

They are not domestic animals, but they're not wildlife either.

more; http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ikely-1.3900732

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

A spring crop is arriving at Helmcken, I'm hearing.

#39 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

I drive past it everyday day and have for 4 years
I can tell you that there
Was a guy with a red pickup truck who was there every morning loading the caught rabbits into his truck early each morning

Then the media then announced that the capture was complete

It never was though he never hot gem all because after the announcement that it was complete we still saw about 5 rabbits there each day

Then the news reports on radio said people dropped of more rabbits but that was pure bs and rabbit propoganda

Next time they Hire someone to do a job they should finish the job

Edited by HB, 22 March 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

The how vermeil ts then announced that the capture wad comet

Thanks for clearing that up.

• aastra, Nparker, LJ and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users