BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#3201 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

I'm also astounded hearing in the mainstream press that local officials are convinced that everyone will be great with an augmentation of the gas tax and therefore no further consultation is required.

The rationale for this tax increase seems to be because "no one will really notice". That's a lousy reason for a 63% tax increase.

If you buy $30 a week in gas, this tax increase means another $24/yr. out of your pocket.

I believe (I stand to be corrected here) that the 12% property tax increase was gong to cost the average homeowner $13 extra.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3202 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

I have more info pertaining to the discussion on commuter trains being "pushed" not pulled and when seen on the tracks appearing to be moving away from a subject but actually moving towards them.

I was just in Chicago and learned that Metra, the commuter rail operator, pushes trains at upwards of 72 miles per hour, or over 110km/h. Pushed trains keep the diesel engines from polluting stations, apparently.

Just thought I'd post an update as we were uncertain of the details during the discussion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3203 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:41 AM

Finally, if you stink - like don't wash yourself or wash your clothes - there should be a $25 surtax on your fare.

Well, "$25 surtax on your fare" seems excessive. But as an annual surcharge the concept has merit. How about a $25/year label pin, perhaps labelled "[year] I'm stinky and like it"?.

But I'd expect that to also apply to those with 3rd hand smoke odour (clothing that reeks of rancid tobacco tars) and any passengers who use perfumes and scented soaps. [public transit entrances will need a smell-o-meter everyone passes through]

jbw

ps. Naturally those below the poverty line would be exempt or pay a more nominal charge for their lapel pin as they cannot readily afford even $25/year, and perhaps cannot readily afford to keep clean or wear freshly laundered clothes (or avoid smoking).

#3204 patrick venton

patrick venton
  • 135 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:51 AM

JBW, Your on a great roll this morn.. much enjoyed.

#3205 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I suppose passengers or drivers noticed someone pointing a gun at the buses. Otherwise would you be able to even hear a pellet round hitting a moving bus?

BC TRANSIT BUSES HIT BY SUSPECTED PELLET GUN FIRE

VICTORIA – BC Transit is working in conjunction with Sooke RCMP after buses were struck by what investigators believe are pellets from an air gun. The five incidents - from October 31 to November 5, 2013 - occurred between 5 pm – 8 pm on Sooke Road or West Coast Road.

There have been no injuries as a result of the five incidents.

“Safety is BC Transit’s core value,” said Stephen Anderson, BC Transit Manager of Safety and Security. “We are working closely with the RCMP to ensure these senseless acts come to an end.”

“This is a public safety issue,” said Staff Sgt. Stephen Wright Sooke RCMP. “There are risks to pedestrians, motorists and passengers. The person responsible could be facing charges under the criminal code.”

BC Transit encourages anyone who has knowledge of these suspected pellet gun incidents to contact the Sooke RCMP non-emergency number at 250.642.5241 or Crimestoppers 1.800.222.8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3206 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

I suppose passengers or drivers noticed someone pointing a gun at the buses. Otherwise would you be able to even hear a pellet round hitting a moving bus?

You'd hear it hitting the more hollow metal panels easily enough, perhaps not near where they're tight mounted to struts. You might hear a lesser sound from impact with the glass (I'd expect the glass to chip some of the time), for sure if you were a passenger and the pellet struck the glass only a foot or so from your head.

I'd assume someone just might have been noticing fresh pellet damage to the buses as confirmation (they're not certain of the location which suggests to me 'after the fact' investigation/evidence noticing).

jbw

editted to add: OK, now I'm feeling an urge to don a bullet proof vest and bullet resistant headgear when boarding B.C. Transit.

#3207 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

Heard about that. 

Apparently, the "punks" responsible for it were Asians driving a rental black Hyundai Genesis sedan from AVIS, from what I heard from a bus driver. 

I don't know whether they've found the people responsible for the shootings yet

#3208 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

None of the onboard cameras work they are not on this is due to privacy laws.
They are there for the honest folks.

Sorry for replying to this late, but there are cameras working - but only on a few buses. 9501, 9527, and 9528 (double-decker Enviro500) and 9400, 9434 (Nova bus) are the ones with CCTV. There's signs posted inside those buses. 

Edited by talldude123, 16 November 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#3209 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Below is a video sebberry made catching a BC Transit bus running a red light at Blanshard and Hillside @ 30 seconds into the video. As many of you will know, we've reported on buses running red lights throughout the region before (see here and here) but there does not seem to be any changes to driver attitudes despite BC Transit receiving complaints. You'd think the organization would take a more proactive approach to this frequently occurring danger on our roads.

BC-Transit-bus-runs-red-September-07-201

KaucgP9XAsg

Again, sorry for replying to an old post. 

I regularily went on the 75 from Royal Oak to get downtown last month (knew the driver, timing was great) and while that turn is left for buses only, the problem is... so many people coming from the other side (Gorge) ran the red light, forcing the bus to wait causing a delay. 

Not trying to "stand up" for the drivers, but just so you get their point of view, sometimes people on the other end run reds causing a delay for buses! 

#3210 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

In the above instance the bus was at Blanshard and Hillside. It was not waiting to turn, it traveled through the intersection unobstructed, but I know exactly what you mean about buses turning on a red. I think that's actually kosher but the cars crossing on a yellow obstructing vehicles from turning are in contravention of the MVA.

BC Transit has released this information regarding the incidents of buses being shot at by a pellet gun or rifle. The incidents are still on-going.

PELLET INCIDENTS FEATURED AS CRIME OF THE WEEK

VICTORIA – BC Transit is working with Crimestoppers to help find the person(s) responsible for damaging buses with pellets from an air gun. The incidents will be featured later this week in the Crimestoppers Crime of the Week. The Crime of the Week appears in newspapers, on radio and on the web.

Seven buses have been targeted in the Sooke area between October 31 and November 14, 2013. The pellets have all struck the front windshields of buses that have included double deckers, conventional and community shuttles. BC Transit investigators have noted patterns in the incidents; the buses have all been southbound, traveling Monday through Thursday from 5 pm to 8 pm. It is also believed the pellets are coming from a passing vehicle.

There have been no injuries as a result of the air gun incidents. However, the potential risk to both public and employee safety, coupled with the expense of replacing and repairing windshields, has prompted BC Transit to ask Crimestoppers for help. 

BC Transit has been assisting Sooke RCMP and West Shore RCMP with their investigations of the pellet gun incidents since early November. Police and extra BC Transit staff will be patrolling the area again this week.

“The safety of our employees and our customers is of paramount concern for BC Transit,” said Manuel Achadinha, BC Transit President and CEO. “We are working closely with the RCMP and Crimestoppers and we hope the heightened awareness through Crimestoppers brings these senseless acts to an immediate end.”

BC Transit encourages anyone who has knowledge of these pellet gun incidents to contact  Crimestoppers at 1.800.222.8477 or Sooke RCMP non-emergency number at 250.642.5241.

Know it all.

#3211 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

Regarding the pellet gun incidents, 

I personally think BC Transit needs to actually make an effort to find the shooter. While I haven't heard anything for a week now, he's probably still out shooting. 

#3212 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

Regarding the pellet gun incidents, 

I personally think BC Transit needs to actually make an effort to find the shooter. While I haven't heard anything for a week now, he's probably still out shooting. 

Why not put some surveillance cameras inside the windshield on a few busses on the Sooke run?

#3213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

I see surveillance cameras all over the place on BC Transit buses. Is there not one camera that points out the windshield?

Know it all.

#3214 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Free bus pitched for downtown Victoria loop

B.C. Transit should test a bus service that loops around downtown Victoria as early as this summer, say Mayor Dean Fortin and Coun. Marianne Alto.

They also want consideration given to making it free.

“We do a great job of moving people into the downtown and out of the downtown, but having this downtown loop would facilitate moving around downtown,” Fortin said.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...a-loop-1.756422

Alto is on CKNW with Bill Good right now talking about this.  Callers calling in complaining about cost of ferries and toll bridges.  Go figure.

I'm warm to this idea.  Something that does the downtown/uptown loop would be nice to see.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3215 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

“They’ve left out the part about how you would pay for it,” Leonard said. He noted Langford offers rubber-wheeled trolley service throughout that community, but it foots the bill itself. “That might be a bit of a precedent,” Leonard said. “I think it would be hard for transit taxpayers from Sooke to Sidney to think that they would want to pay for it.”

Oh Frank Leonard.

How long have residents of Sooke and Sidney not been paying a two or three zone fare? I think it's unfair that someone from Sooke or Sidney can get downtown for $2.50 when a resident of the City of Victoria has to pay the same fare but rides a fraction of the distance.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#3216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Visit Seattle has outfitted a BC Transit bus with this ad. The URL is www.2daysinseattle.com

Know it all.

#3217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

Can't say it's not eye catching.

Looks like a good marketing strategy.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

We should put a whole bunch of VV logo stickers on that thing ;)

Know it all.

#3219 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:30 PM

Oh Frank Leonard.

How long have residents of Sooke and Sidney not been paying a two or three zone fare? I think it's unfair that someone from Sooke or Sidney can get downtown for $2.50 when a resident of the City of Victoria has to pay the same fare but rides a fraction of the distance.

Yes, sigh.  One wonders how many Saanich residents work downtown or at the Legislature and would benefit enormously from this at lunch hour or for quick Dr appointments.  I think this loop would be awesome.

#3220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

BC Transit has issued an advisory relating to tomorrow's weather forecast.

SNOW DAY ADVISORY

VICTORIA – BC Transit is maximizing staff and resources in anticipation of a snow day in the Victoria Regional Transit System. Due to road conditions, buses may be unable to keep to posted schedules, but every effort will be made to ensure all routes are covered. BC Transit urges customers to be patient and be prepared for the elements.

BC Transit buses have winter tread and the double deckers have studded front and rear tires. Our vehicles also have traction control.

On snow days, transit supervisors will be out early and often monitoring road conditions. BC Transit works closely with municipalities to determine if roadways are unsafe or closed and then reroutes vehicles as required.

Snow Day Tips from our BC Transit Operators:

·        Clear windows and lights

·        Ensure you have proper tires for the road conditions

·        Give yourself plenty of room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you

·        Decrease your speed

·        Brake gently to avoid skidding or locking

·        Don’t pass snowplows or sanding trucks

Snow Day Tips for our Customers:

·        Dress appropriately for the weather conditions

·        Give yourself extra time to get to work and school

·        Expect delays

·        If your regular bus stop is on a hill, pick another location either at the bottom or the top of the hill. Buses may not be able stop on an incline in poor weather conditions

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users