BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#3341 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

Just an aside, I if a driver is, well, a bad driver and drives too erratically or hits the breaks too hard, should you say something to the driver or complain to BCT?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3342 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

^I'd complain to BCT but only if it's reckless. Sometimes someone cuts off the driver and he has no choice but to slam on the brakes and send everyone off balance.

On the pull over and announce plan: if I were a blind person on the bus I'd be humiliated if the driver stopped the bus to announce the next stop. I'd know every pair of eyes would be glaring at me even if I couldn't see them. I'd hope that people realized this was merely management/union buffoonery.

• sebberry likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, but this was just bad driving through no fault of other vehicles on the road. When you come to a stop and each time standing passengers are barely able to keep their balance then maybe you shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3344 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Just an aside, I if a driver is, well, a bad driver and drives too erratically or hits the breaks too hard, should you say something to the driver or complain to BCT?

Dangerous to say something to the driver while on duty imo as they might take it personal and worsen already bad driving, (many other possibilities come to mind -- what if he/she had a gun?  or was given to doling out mean looks?  or cried?  best to leave it to the authorities). 

I suggest:  promptly report (while still en route?) and include day/time along with the vehicle's permanent 'number' (not merely the 'route' number), location, direction of travel and nature of problem.  Supplying a video might at times prove very useful.

jbw

#3345 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

I'd talk to the driver and ask what the issue is.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3346 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

...and get thrown off the bus!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3347 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

...and get thrown off the bus!
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3348 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I've removed a couple of posts.  Please keep it civil and on topic.  Thanks :) 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3349 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Last night I took the bus home and the driver was calling out every stop along the route. He wasn't using his radio.

It was actually sort of neat.

Know it all.

#3350 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

Perhaps part of a drivers training should be at Town Crier yellow bus school.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wkCwymz-RI0

:banana:

#3351 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Okay. 

Regarding the call-outs, BC Transit has been contradicting themselves. They stated that back in May 2012 they had a plan to call out ALL stops. If you watched the video "Call-outs" on Youtube, they stated the drivers would only call out major stops (timing points) along the route. If that is the plan, it wouldn't be an issue because 95% of the time, the bus stops at the timing point, to keep its timing and/or to let passengers on and off. 

The operators were given a large ~300 page booklet with all the routes and the stops for the routes. 1500 stops total on all the routes. For example, 77 stops on the Route 11 each direction. 

BC Transit states that it only takes 8 seconds to call out a stop; little do they know, the microphones on the buses aren't really placed in an accessible place for the driver. Plus the community shuttles don't have microphones at all. 

Should be an interesting test on Tuesday. Since BC Transits phone lines were tied on Thursday and they wont' answer my emails; I am going to head office 9:30am Tuesday morning. I have two buses to catch; 56 to Langford Exchange and 50 to Douglas and Burnside, and walk to head office. I'll have to see how late buses are running with the call-outs. Will drivers use the microphone or yell out stops? Also that booklet has gotta be distracting. 

#3352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

The driver yelling out the stop names was heard throughout the bus. I don't think there's a need for the radio at all.

Know it all.

#3353 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

The driver yelling out the stop names was heard throughout the bus. I don't think there's a need for the radio at all.

I suppose some drivers will use the mic some won't. I'm sure transit will have alot of book-offs due to sore throats :P

#3354 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

BC Transit has backed off on the demands, will be up to drivers to use their own discretion when calling out stops.  Ben Williams on CFAX right now.

#3355 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:06 AM

BC Transit has backed off on the demands, will be up to drivers to use their own discretion when calling out stops.  Ben Williams on CFAX right now.

Another botched job by management at BCT.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3356 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Where's the transit board in all of this?

Know it all.

#3357 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Great.  If you need a stop called out, ask the driver.  No sense in yelling out every single stop. 

• tedward likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#3358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Why we don't have GPS on our buses:

- Furthermore, any technological solution that may be implemented will require training and
established processes in the event the technology fails – at which point the operator would be
required to call out the stop manually

- It is estimated that it could cost up to $15,000 per bus to install the hardware for an automated

system. Software and back-end programming would be an additional cost. With a fleet of 300
buses in Victoria this could easily add up to more than $5 million.

- BC Transit prides itself on its efficient and effective operations. Before BC Transit considers
approaching the taxpayers for a significant investment in technology, it is prudent to leverage
the existing infrastructure while ensuring a high level of customer service.

- Again, BC Transit will seek the input of operators to explore different hands-free solutions for

technology which could include headsets, toggle switches or clip on mics.

- Feedback from customers since the re-instatement of call outs in 2012 indicate that this practice

is an appreciated improvement to the service.

http://www.bctransit...-alert-4906.pdf

Does $15,000 per bus sound reasonable? With fleet tracking services available for the cost of an iPhone and the fleet tracking app you'd think each bus could be setup with a state-of-the-art solution for well under $1,000, not 15x that price!

Know it all.

#3359 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Does $15,000 per bus sound reasonable?

It does when you acquire the technology from companies that are used to fleecing public sector organizations.

#3360 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:34 PM

Does $15,000 per bus sound reasonable?

Not even a little bit. I can track individual runners in loads of road races from their bib chips and timing mats. I can let anyone follow my bike ride in real time on the internet. I can find my iPhone and wipe its memory from my desktop. This is routine technology that is readily available. The whole thing could easily be done for 10% of that cost I would bet.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users