Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5221 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

No gas tax for transit in today's budget.  

Frustrating. They aren't even saying why and they are saying they "will consider it". They're terrified of saying no and the stink that will cause, or yes and the stink that will cause...

#5222 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

It could also be that the government asked the municipalities to show support... but all they showed was politician support, no public support was shown, or sought by the politicians.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5223 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

So why no other commentary about today's worthless budget. Didnt offer me squat.
  • Nparker likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5224 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

It could also be that the government asked the municipalities to show support... but all they showed was politician support, no public support was shown, or sought by the politicians.

http://www.vicnews.c.../414670633.html

The Victoria Regional Transit Commission tax hasn't changed in eight years, and the commission had marshalled support from municipal governments to request the increase. But with a provincial election weeks away, Stone said now isn't the time.

"We're not convinced that there's a clear consensus, not just amongst local governments in Greater Victoria, but the public," Stone told reporters at the B.C. legislature Thursday. "I've received as many submissions from the residents, the people who live in Greater Victoria, who are opposed to a gas tax increase as I have from those who have advocated for it.

"With that in mind, we think over the next three months, with big date coming in May, this is a perfect opportunity to hear from the citizens, to put it back out there in the region and see what the people of Greater Victoria actually feel about a potential increase in their fuel tax."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5225 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

BC Transit announces $10.9-million Victoria and Langford transit centre upgrades

http://victoria.citi...entre-upgrades/

BC Transit has announced two construction projects for their Victoria and Langford transit centres that will total nearly $11-million.

The Victoria transit centre, located between Douglas Street and Gorge Road at Garbally Road, will soon see the start of construction on a state-of-the-art paint and body shop along with seismic upgrades to the centre’s existing repair and maintenance facility.

BC Transit’s largest and busiest yard, the Gorge Road centre sees approximately 1,200 body and paint-related jobs per year, making it one of the province’s busiest transit vehicle repair facilities. [Full article]

• Baro likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:23 PM

Weren't they just complaining that the lack of gas tax revenue was going to hurt expansion plans?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5227 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Weren't they just complaining that the lack of gas tax revenue was going to hurt expansion plans?

I know you're not some CFAX social media idiot who doesn't understand the difference between capital and operating expenses.

#5228 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Further, these are just re-announcements of existing Federal dollars that were announced last year

• 57WestHills likes this

#5229 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:03 AM

Further, these are just re-announcements of existing Federal dollars that were announced last year

You beat me! Expected shortly, re-announcement of the new shuttle garage at Commerce Circle. As of two weeks ago there was no visible signs from off property that work had started.

Edited by 57WestHills, 28 February 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#5230 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Saw the Langtoria bus on the road this morning. Is it back??

#5231 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:43 AM

it was never gone. Its a failure but John Wilson signed a contract I believe to operate it for 1 year only 30% of seats used at the best of times

#5232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

A little bit of an expansion is planned for 2017/2018:

Victoria Regional Transit System expansion proceeding for September 2017

Victoria – The Province of BC and the Victoria Regional Transit Commission (VRTC) have announced that needed service expansion will move ahead in 2017/18 thanks to an interim funding solution provided by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and BC Transit.  The addition of $1.63 million of provincial funding will add 20,000 hours and eight new buses to the system, and allow for needed expanded service to growing areas of the region, such as the Westshore, as well as additional trips on many routes to maintain on-time performance.

“We are working closely with BC Transit and VRTC to build a strong transit system that meets the needs for this growing population,” said Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Todd Stone. “I’m pleased to announce today that we have found a solution that will allow the VRTC to move forward with its planned expansion.”

“It takes strong partnerships for public transit to be successful, and I appreciate the hard work of staff from BC Transit and the Ministry to deliver a financial solution allowing much needed service expansion to proceed,” said Susan Brice, Chair of the VRTC, “The goal of the VRTC is to improve transit services for current and future customers in greater Victoria, and today’s announcement supports that goal.”

“We are committed to delivering an efficient and effective transit system that connects people and communities in the Victoria region,” said Manuel Achadinha, BC Transit President and Chief Executive Officer. “This additional funding will allow us to improve service reliability and meet the growing demands of our customers.”

The additional funding from the Province of BC is an interim solution to support the expansion of transit services for the 2017/18 fiscal year. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure and BC Transit will continue to work on a longer term solution that supports transit service needs in the Victoria region for future years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5233 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:32 AM

Saw the Langtoria bus on the road this morning. Is it back??

It never left.  First year or two is covered by a Langford subsidy of $60,000/yr.

#5234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:34 AM

Which is about $4,000 per passenger, no?

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

Know it all.

#5235 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

My driver today commented that BC Transit can't even hire enough drivers to maintain the system let alone increase service hours.

He said he was told a training group of 6 was scheduled to start last week but it turned out to be just one person getting trained.

I would have thought that there would be lots of people trying to get on at BC Transit Or is the the screening process very difficult to pass?

#5236 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

Which is about $4,000 per passenger, no?

$357/mo. per passenger.

#5237 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

I would have thought that there would be lots of people trying to get on at BC Transit Or is the the screening process very difficult to pass?

I think it must be the latter.  You'd think demand would be there.  Don't HandyDart and school bus drivers etc. want to move up?  Taxi drivers?  Girls that drive parts cars for auto shops?  All kinds of driving jobs that pay much more poorly.

#5238 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:14 AM

Today:

screenshot-www.iheartradio.ca-2017-03-28-12-13-42.png

#5239 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

That's actually a pretty good result.  Imagine if 30% of people took the bus more often?

• 57WestHills likes this

#5240 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

The Douglas St Northbound Transit lane project, Tolmie to Saanich Rd, closed last week with three bids.

Results from BC Bid

Sparker Construction Ltd, Victoria  $3,430,869.46

Ralmax Contracting Ltd (DBA: same), Victoria  $3,713,225.40

Jacob Bros. Construction Inc., Surrey  $4,192,850.00  

The Douglas St, Tolmie to Hillside Southbound Transit lane project tender opened today.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users