9623 replies to this topic

#5261 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

"Oh, and all drivers receive $45/hour on Sunday regardless of seniority."

100% not true!

Sunday premiums, negotiated in almost every government contract and many private contracts (not just at BC Transit) is Time + half. So in year one $19+ / hr would be $29+ / hour.

Would it be fair to say that the most experienced (seniority) guys take most of the Sunday shifts, since it's a relatively easy day, and they can make that time + 1/2?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5262 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:02 AM

Would it be fair to say that the most experienced (seniority) guys take most of the Sunday shifts, since it's a relatively easy day, and they can make that time + 1/2?

Most picked there worked based on days off, start and end times, splits/no splits. I would say a very small percentage chose to work specifically due to the Sunday premium. I enjoyed it when I was an operator, I won't lie to you. But my time with my young kids was far more valuable in my opinion.

Edited by ryno8097, 11 April 2017 - 06:02 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#5263 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:10 AM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like someone I know who should know these details ...doesn't know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5264 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

Most picked there worked based on days off, start and end times, splits/no splits. I would say a very small percentage chose to work specifically due to the Sunday premium. I enjoyed it when I was an operator, I won't lie to you. But my time with my young kids was far more valuable in my opinion.

Would it be fair to say that most older operators, those with no young kids, would be inclined to take Sundays, and get the extra money?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5265 BCbinders

BCbinders
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

I heard that the drivers new contract brought in a 4 year graduated pay scale, with drivers starting out at around $17 a hour, and having to go four years before they get to the full wage.  This is keeping people from leaving where they work now, maybe they can survive 6 months or a year at a lower wage - but four years takes dedication.  $17 a hour is near a unlivable wage in Victoria.  Especially considering those new drivers will most likely have long split shifts.  Try paying all your bills, and for 12-16 hours of daycare.

My driver today commented that BC Transit can't even hire enough drivers to maintain the system let alone increase service hours.

He said he was told a training group of 6 was scheduled to start last week but it turned out to be just one person getting trained.

I would have thought that there would be lots of people trying to get on at BC Transit Or is the the screening process very difficult to pass?

#5266 BCbinders

BCbinders
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:27 PM

"Oh, and all drivers receive $45/hour on Sunday regardless of seniority."

No they do not, On Sundays they receive `1.5 times their wage.

#5267 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

The contract is online here if anyone wants to read it:

http://www.unifor333...eement-members/

$17.34 in training (9 weeks).

$19.61 after that in first year.

It goes up about $2 every year.  $28.34 top.

#5268 BCbinders

BCbinders
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

No, most drivers prefer to have Sunday off.  Yes they will receive more pay, but the schedules are BRUTAL!!  Barely any time to use the washroom all day.  As well the day is usually shortened to around 5.5 hours, so they don't really make any more money, just drive their asses off for 5.5 hours,

#5269 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Astronauts go days without bathroom breaks, can't transit drivers train their bodies the same way?

#5270 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

So i noticed a BC Infrastructure sign on the TCH just North of Tillicum in the Southbound lane.  Announcing a Northbound Bus lane being constructed by 2018. Rather an odd spot in the SB lane about a NB improvement.

#5271 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:38 PM

Astronauts go days without bathroom breaks, can't transit drivers train their bodies the same way?

Can you?

#5272 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

So i noticed a BC Infrastructure sign on the TCH just North of Tillicum in the Southbound lane.  Announcing a Northbound Bus lane being constructed by 2018. Rather an odd spot in the SB lane about a NB improvement.

Does the sign say the extent of the lane (MayFair to Mckenzie avenue)?

#5273 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

Can you?

I'll apologize in advance for this witty answer appearing well outside of the crime thread, but...

Are you challenging me to a non-pissing match?

• LJ likes this

#5274 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

BC Transit operators are complaining that the vertical plastic delineators the city has installed dividing the two lanes of vehicle traffic are in the way.  One operator radioed in to report that it was either those or the mirror of a parked delivery van to the left he was going to snap off.

Also, I was heading southbound on the TCH at Tillicum today.  A bus was pulling out of the zone.  I'm sure the driver behind me though I was an ass for not stopping.  Might I remind operators and drivers that the requirement to yield to a bus departing from a curb only exists where the speed limit is 60KM/Hr or less.  Stopping to let in a bus on a highway is asking for trouble.  The operator shouldn't have put on his signal either. 

• HB likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5275 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:27 PM

BC Transit operators are complaining that the vertical plastic delineators the city has installed dividing the two lanes of vehicle traffic are in the way.  One operator radioed in to report that it was either those or the mirror of a parked delivery van to the left he was going to snap off.ignal either. 

Where?

#5276 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Sorry, Pandora St. in front of John's Place. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5277 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:42 PM

I foresee mayhem when these lanes open. We're going to see collisions here, mark my words. We're also going to see some serious congestion unless pedestrians are required to wait for the cyclist green to cross. Although I suppose that depends on how long the cyclist light will be green. It might be quite short for all we know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5278 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

Those delineators are about 16" tall and bend over when driven upon why is the bus driver scared of that given the odds that he or she probably runs multiple yellow and red lights while in the downtown core

#5279 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

the operator shouldn't have put on his signal either.

The operator is required by law to put his signal on to warn others of his intention which was to pull away from the stop into the travel lane

#5280 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:05 PM

Maybe the driver ought to wait until there is no more traffic before putting on the blinker. I'd wager the vast majority of drivers are unaware that the yield requirement does not apply in zones of 60km/h or more. I didn't.
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users