• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5281 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

The operator is required by law to put his signal on to warn others of his intention which was to pull away from the stop into the travel lane

Ya, he is, but Mike hit the nail here.  The driver shouldn't have made an attempt to move into the highway traffic. 

It also drives me nuts that busses lined up in front of deckers use their 4-ways while stopped.  I don't know if you're pulling out or sitting there with your 4-ways on.

• Bingo likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5282 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Astronauts go days without bathroom breaks, can't transit drivers train their bodies the same way?

Um... no, astronauts do no such thing.

http://www.space.com...-explained.html

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5283 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Um... no, astronauts do no such thing.

http://www.space.com...-explained.html

It was a joke, tedward...   :wave:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5284 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

Making a joke on this board is like not pissing in the wind.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5285 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

I've been reading all sorts of articles and studies based on bus stop distance and after looking at victoria's core we could really use a re-planning of bus stops as ours are WAY too close together.  You do not need a stop every block,  our stops tend to be on average about 200m apart but closer to 300m is a lot more ideal.  It might mean you need to walk an extra minute or two to the closest bus stop,  but it means your bus will get you where you're going much much faster by increasing the service speed.

Of course when you have stops spaced out every 200m you can't just close every other stop,  then you'd have 400m spacing and that's getting near the upper limit.  You'd end up having to re-site a majority of the stops, and that would be expensive.  Yet in many cases taking  a route that has 50 stops and replacing it with one that has 30 stops could drastically increase the route's speed and capacity.  Really even 400m would be fine,  that's the typical spacing in a lot of cities who have transit systems designed actually to move mass numbers of commuters rather than exist for more political or social reasons.

But it could be a long term project with the city and bc transit working together to better space stops out when streets are re-done.  For example the reconstruction of fort st. could also see the bus stop spacing increased from 200 to 300 meters.  Could also free up a few new parking spots to make up for the few removed in the plan.

Edited by Baro, 01 May 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, David Bratzer and thundergun like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#5286 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

/\......interesting coincidence you mentioning this: I was idly thinking just last week about this question, and wondering if BCT was either trying to social engineer us or perhaps were in possession of a study indicating modern humans are as slothful and out of shape as many others claim?

On my run (#14 Craigflower-UVic) it frankly amazes me that we can't apparently go even - literally - 2 blocks without stopping. We literally seem to do so every 100 meters or so, and at most every other block.

I was curious whether that was the norm across the system or some anomaly peculiar to that route. I guess not. One can only imagine the p/a costs associated with bus/wheel/tire/brake maintenance resulting from the perpetual 'stop and go' (not to mention the rider irritation factor).

• David Bratzer likes this

#5287 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:39 PM

In more suburban areas they seem to be able to go a lot further.  That's the odd thing.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5288 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:45 PM

Which routes have stops only 200 metres apart outside of the downtown core?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5289 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

...On my run (#14 Craigflower-UVic) it frankly amazes me that we can't apparently go even - literally - 2 blocks without stopping. We literally seem to do so every 100 meters or so, and at most every other block.

I think that's mostly a misconception. Very few stops are actually ~200m apart along the 14's route:

Bay @ Douglas to next Rock Bay/Govt: 200m

Rock Bay/Govt to Turner: 500m

Turner to Tyee: 450m

Tyee to Catherine: 350m

Catherine to Pine: 350m

Pine to Coventry: 300m

Coventry to Carrie: 350m

Carrie to Arcadia: 190m

Arcadia to Lampson: 220m

• David Bratzer likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5290 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

...in many cases taking  a route that has 50 stops and replacing it with one that has 30 stops could drastically increase the route's speed and capacity...

Remove all the stops except the first and the last and the route would move at lightening lightning speed.

Edited by Nparker, 01 May 2017 - 04:21 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5291 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:06 PM

^Lightening speed meaning gradually less dark?

I wonder how many bus stop locations are left over from the streetcar routes? A lot, I bet.

We already discussed earlier the bus routes left over from the streetcars, the the 22 Haultain.

I don't know if there are any surviving route numbers.

• Nparker likes this

#5292 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

I wonder how many bus stop locations are left over from the streetcar routes? A lot, I bet.

We already discussed earlier the bus routes left over from the streetcars, the the 22 Haultain.

Don't know the bus routes well enough to comment offhand, but here are the streetcar routes.

I was going to post these on grantpalin's Victoria Fantasy Transit Map thread (everything old is new again kind of idea), but it might as well go here now!

Attached Images

• Victoria 1939 street cars.png
  • Vic streetcars.jpg
  • Vic regional travel.jpg

#5293 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 04:29 PM

^Interesting; so the #3 has always been a Downtown/James Bay route.

#5294 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

Shelburne is the only street they just got straight.  "OK, you know what, this is going dead straight from here!"  -  R.H. Shelbourne. 

#5295 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Which routes have stops only 200 metres apart outside of the downtown core?

The 27 through Gordon Head has a few stops spaced less than 200m apart.

#5296 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

The 27 through Gordon Head has a few stops spaced less than 200m apart.

Certainly true on Gordon Head Road. Ridden that route many times.

#5297 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

Shelburne is the only street they just got straight.  "OK, you know what, this is going dead straight from here!"  -  R.H. Shelbourne. 

And even it is off by a few degrees from true north, so they kinda fudged it.

Know it all.

#5298 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

^Lightening speed meaning gradually less dark?

There is still a streetcar shelter at Camosun College on Richmond. The 22 Haultain was never a streetcar route, it was originally a bus route, the old #10 route.

#5299 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

No they do not, On Sundays they receive `1.5 times their wage.

Yes I know this. I fluffed up on quoting someone else. Yes you are right! 😆

Edited by ryno8097, 07 May 2017 - 06:23 AM.

• ryno8097 likes this

#5300 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

/\......interesting coincidence you mentioning this: I was idly thinking just last week about this question, and wondering if BCT was either trying to social engineer us or perhaps were in possession of a study indicating modern humans are as slothful and out of shape as many others claim?

On my run (#14 Craigflower-UVic) it frankly amazes me that we can't apparently go even - literally - 2 blocks without stopping. We literally seem to do so every 100 meters or so, and at most every other block.

I was curious whether that was the norm across the system or some anomaly peculiar to that route. I guess not. One can only imagine the p/a costs associated with bus/wheel/tire/brake maintenance resulting from the perpetual 'stop and go' (not to mention the rider irritation factor).

The industry standard is to have a bus stop approximately every 400m for local services, 800m for express-type services. But there are many variables that must be factored in when placement of stops is finalized - including demographics of a region (or neighbourhood/corridor).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users