Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5381 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

The remaining portion of the Douglas Street bus lane project north of Tolmie Avenue has been cancelled due budget overruns. Bids for the project came in at 30% above the budgeted amount of $6.45-million, according to the local transit commission.

Bus lane work would have yielded dedicated bus lanes for buses between Tolmie Avenue and Saanich Road and connect downtown Victoria with BC Transit's planned Uptown bus interchange near Uptown Shopping Centre at HWY 1 and Carey Road.

This is just pathetic. Years ago the BC Liberals announced huge investment in Transit promising rapid bus lanes between West Shore and Downtown. Years later we have a couple of small segments of unconnected and incomplete bus lanes while billions are spent on the mainland. It's fine to spend billions on the mainland - they need it - but for the 2nd most populated area outside the lower mainland to be so short changed for so long... Its neglect

Edited by malahatdrive, 19 June 2017 - 11:56 AM.

• rjag and Kungsberg like this

#5382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:03 PM

...and there are still those folks who think we're going to get commuter rail, lol.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5383 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:10 PM

VibrantVictoria, on 19 Jun 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

The remaining portion of the Douglas Street bus lane project north of Tolmie Avenue has been cancelled due budget overruns. Bids for the project came in at 30% above the budgeted amount of $6.45-million, according to the local transit commission.

Bus lane work would have yielded dedicated bus lanes for buses between Tolmie Avenue and Saanich Road and connect downtown Victoria with BC Transit's planned Uptown bus interchange near Uptown Shopping Centre at HWY 1 and Carey Road.

jessief  - on 19 June 2017  -  11:54 AM

This is disappointing. As a transit commuter, I really believe that dedicated bus lanes from downtown to Mackenzie would encourage people to use transit. If I know I can get from downtown to past Mackenzie in my own lane, thus cutting that portion of my commute in half, I'm getting on that bus! Maybe that's not enough for some people but it would sure entice me.

I agree, it's disappointing. We need those dedicated bus lanes.  

It seems from the Victoria Regional Transit Commission update https://bctransit.co...s/1403647765629  (dated tomorrow, June 20),  that 

"the high costs were due to the unusually high level of construction work occurring in the region at this time. This has impacted the availability of workers and also materials such as concrete and asphalt."

This sounds a lot like what happened with the 2 pedestrian bridges for the David Foster Harbour Pathway that were put on 'hold' -  

http://www.timescolo...hold-1.19527636

"Fraser Work, the city’s director of engineering, told councillors that the amount of construction underway in the city is likely to blame for the lack of bids."

"This is the second time in as many years the building boom has been blamed for a delay in a city project."

So whilst it is great that there is a booming building and renovation scene happening in Victoria, it does seem to have negative repercussions on projects and budgets.

Attached Images

• VRTC.jpg

• malahatdrive likes this

#5384 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

Don't tell me the only quote to have the bus lanes built was from a company building them in China.

#5385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

So the provincial government will put the brakes on cost overruns, but our municipal government in Victoria saw no obstacles when a sole bike lane bid came in well above budget. And they're moving on to a second lane along Fort Street now.

• Nparker and Bingo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5386 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

So the provincial government will put the brakes on cost overruns, but our municipal government in Victoria saw no obstacles when a sole bike lane bid came in well above budget.

And they're moving on to a second lane along Fort Street now.

So when they sent out the tenders for the bus lanes did they only tender the part that is already done?

That would be like sending out tenders for half of the bridge and then once you are past the point of no return the company tenders the other half and charges whatever they want, eh!*

*Jack Knox wants us to use this more

#5387 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

^^ well the did decide not to do the Fisherman's Wharf bridge thingy.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 June 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5388 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

^ well the did decide not to do the Fisherman's Wharf bridge thingy.

The bus lane was canceled  :confused:

#5389 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

Sprry should of been ^^ not ^

#5390 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

Real-time BC Transit bus tracking technology coming to Victoria in 2018.jpg

Real-time BC Transit bus tracking technology coming to Victoria in 2018

http://victoria.citi...ctoria-in-2018/

Know it all.

#5391 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

Real-time BC Transit bus tracking technology coming to Victoria in 2018

Does this mean the buses will finally run on time?  ;)

#5392 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

^No no, don't be silly. You will just know when it's coming so you can wave as it passes you by.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5393 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

New bus route will run between Westhills and UVic in the fall.

New bus service planned for Sooke, West Shore - Sooke News Mirror

Some bits in that article are awful hard to read, very odd.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5394 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:38 PM

New bus route will run between Westhills and UVic in the fall.

Some bits in that article are awful hard to read, very odd.

I also *heard* that Route 25 would be extended to Westhills beyond Colwood Exchange. Although it's not official yet. 

#5395 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Why don't they redraw the entire bus system to make it work with todays population centres? This system was set up how many years ago? An entire rework is due.

#5396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

I agree. 27/28 has been a thing since the 70's.
  • sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5397 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

Back when they were the "927" & "928". What was that all about anyway?

#5398 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

Why don't they redraw the entire bus system to make it work with todays population centres? This system was set up how many years ago? An entire rework is due.

This has always been the long-term plan with rapid transit on Douglas as the catalyst. It is a huge project and is thus would likely succeed more when that happens

#5399 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:31 PM

Back when they were the "927" & "928". What was that all about anyway?

My understanding back then, was that any suburban buses were numbered in the 900s?

#5400 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

They are well used routes. i cant see them changing them, as Shelbourne is a major thoroughfare.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users