BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9597 replies to this topic

#5441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:10 AM

Oh, thanks for the heads-up. Is this related to road work or the new building at Camosun?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5442 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

I believe it's just related to Markham road connecting Camosun to the VITP and has no relation to the new building which is a distance away. 

#5443 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Yeah they dug up the road along the parking lot right where the 21 turns right to get to the park and the 39/83 turn left to get to royal oak. The sign said it will be complete in September (although we all know how road work/construction goes around here) and to expect major delays.

Edit:

Not sure why I didn't just post a picture instead of trying to describe it http://imgur.com/a/38ACL

Edited by Cats4Hire, 24 July 2017 - 01:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5444 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:11 PM

Did BC Transit get new buses? Today while I was waiting for the 8 or 21 to get to Camosun I saw the 8 come and it looked a little different. I'm sorry for not knowing the exact styles of each bus but it looked like the one they use in all their marketing and stuff. It had a slightly taller roof and the curve at the front was steeper than normal but other than that the outside looked the same. Unfortunately since it and the 21 were going down Interurban at the same time (since they seem to always do that) it passed me and I was on the 21 instead so I can't comment about inside the bus. The ID was 9434 if that helps.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 26 July 2017 - 12:12 PM.

#5445 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

That was a demo bus for the manufacturer which BC Transit then picked up used / cheap as a one-of a few years ago.

Edited by 57WestHills, 26 July 2017 - 12:27 PM.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#5446 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:27 PM

Oh, is that one of the natural gas buses, with the big thing on the roof?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5447 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:06 PM

I found that the site has all their buses. It was a XN40 Xcelsior which they apparently have 50 of. It does say "Engine: Cummins ISL-G Compressed Natural Gas, 280hp" so I guess Mike K is right.

#5448 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

No.

It's a Nova bus conventional diesel.

#5449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:41 AM

Word on the street is there was a pretty big accident involving a BCT bus last night in Esquimalt at Nelson (just west of Admirals). A BCT bus was involved in a collision which sent a vehicle towards pedestrians. There's not much info out there just yet.

Know it all.

#5450 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

It seems there is a 4 and a 26 trip cancelled tomorrow and Wednesday. Does anyone know the reason? The only times I saw trips cancelled where when it snowed https://bctransit.co...d=1403648046558

#5451 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

That's gotta be staff. Kinda random though.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5452 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

Did BC Transit get new buses? Today while I was waiting for the 8 or 21 to get to Camosun I saw the 8 come and it looked a little different. I'm sorry for not knowing the exact styles of each bus but it looked like the one they use in all their marketing and stuff. It had a slightly taller roof and the curve at the front was steeper than normal but other than that the outside looked the same. Unfortunately since it and the 21 were going down Interurban at the same time (since they seem to always do that) it passed me and I was on the 21 instead so I can't comment about inside the bus. The ID was 9434 if that helps.

That bus is was an ex- Novabus demo that BC Transit purchased in 2012. It roamed the street of Nanaimo first, and then was sent to Victoria where it's been for the last 4 years. You can see a short video from CTV from when the bus was brand new on Youtube: https://www.youtube....h?v=smhUfpknjTU

• Cats4Hire likes this

#5453 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

Word on the street is there was a pretty big accident involving a BCT bus last night in Esquimalt at Nelson (just west of Admirals). A BCT bus was involved in a collision which sent a vehicle towards pedestrians. There's not much info out there just yet.

Did this end up being covered by anyone anywhere?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5454 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

It seems there is a 4 and a 26 trip cancelled tomorrow and Wednesday. Does anyone know the reason? The only times I saw trips cancelled where when it snowed https://bctransit.co...d=1403648046558

Most likely an operator had issues with their bus, or there wasn't an extra spareboard operator to fill that service. I remember back when the job action occured 4-5 years ago, there were tons of missed runs (because overtime was banned at that time). 

#5455 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

That bus is was an ex- Novabus demo that BC Transit purchased in 2012. It roamed the street of Nanaimo first, and then was sent to Victoria where it's been for the last 4 years. You can see a short video from CTV from when the bus was brand new on Youtube: https://www.youtube....h?v=smhUfpknjTU

I'm not sure if you'd know this but are the screens actually used? In all my time riding doubledecker 4, 14, 21 the past 2 or 3 years I have seen the screen that's sometimes on the top deck on maybe 3 times? It's usually just generic transit pictures or the announcements usually stuck right behind the driver.

#5456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:31 PM

Did this end up being covered by anyone anywhere?

I don't think it was!

Know it all.

#5457 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

I took the 39 from Camosun to Royal Oak today (since it happened to be there) and Markham is even worse. It's now single lane from Camosun's parking lot to the curve (it was already pretty narrow) and we had to wait probably 7-10 minutes (which according to the schedule is how long it takes to get from Camosun to Royal Oak Exchange).

I really think the 39 and 83 should be detoured off Markham during this construction and just stay on Interurban that turn onto West Saanich (although that might be weird with how the 83 works). At least during the day since rarely anyone gets on or off on Markham from what I've seen aside from the AM/PM rush. If people do need to use the during the day Camosun really isn't that far a walk.

#5458 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

I'm not sure if you'd know this but are the screens actually used? In all my time riding doubledecker 4, 14, 21 the past 2 or 3 years I have seen the screen that's sometimes on the top deck on maybe 3 times? It's usually just generic transit pictures or the announcements usually stuck right behind the driver.

9527 (Hybrid) Double Decker has screens just displaying a slideshow of ads related to BC Transit. The other 95 series double deckers have the screens, but they're not turned on. 

9434 has screens as well, but they're not turned on. 

Rumour is that once the "Smart bus" technology comes on BC Transit buses in the end of 2018, there will be LCD screens showing the next stop. Similar to what they have in Las Vegas. 

#5459 talldude123

talldude123
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:13 AM

I took the 39 from Camosun to Royal Oak today (since it happened to be there) and Markham is even worse. It's now single lane from Camosun's parking lot to the curve (it was already pretty narrow) and we had to wait probably 7-10 minutes (which according to the schedule is how long it takes to get from Camosun to Royal Oak Exchange).

I really think the 39 and 83 should be detoured off Markham during this construction and just stay on Interurban that turn onto West Saanich (although that might be weird with how the 83 works). At least during the day since rarely anyone gets on or off on Markham from what I've seen aside from the AM/PM rush. If people do need to use the during the day Camosun really isn't that far a walk.

I drove the 21 a couple weeks ago, with one of my trips going to Tech Park. I sat for 20 minutes, resulting in my next trip (leaving Downtown) actually getting dropped because I was supposed to be Downtown when I left the Tech Park. 

#5460 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I drove the 21 a couple weeks ago, with one of my trips going to Tech Park. I sat for 20 minutes, resulting in my next trip (leaving Downtown) actually getting dropped because I was supposed to be Downtown when I left the Tech Park. 

I really hope they finish by September as this kind of thing is going to be terrible once Camosun and Uvic are back in full session, especially with the 39 barely running.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users