BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5521 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

RE: Different signage in Greater Victoria BC TRANSIT buses

I haven't noticed the OFF signs in the rear of the buses yet, but I have noticed that some of the 50 DOWNTOWN and 50 LANGFORD signs in the front of the bus appear to be bigger and more noticeable.

I think they just changed the font sizes for signs in their programming, as I doubt they replaced the signs with larger ones.

I have noticed in the past that they tend to make most of these changes when the fall schedule comes out.

Has anyone noticed the "L" signs when they are training new bus drivers. I always laugh when I see those. 😂

#5522 CV92

CV92
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

I noticed today when I drove past the Uvic exchange some not in service buses said "off" on the back screen. Is that a new thing? I've seen various things (including the sign just being off) but never the word "off".

'OFF' is the new rear display for the 'NOT IN SERVICE' sign. Having one 3-letter word take up the entire sign is easier to read than the stacked text reading 'NOT IN SERVICE' that we used to have, or the alternative of having the rear sign constantly side-scroll the words 'NOT IN SERVICE'. 

'OFF' (as in off-duty) is also more widely understood by the general public than the abbreviation 'NIS' which some other systems use. 

• Nparker likes this

#5523 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

When I left Swartz Bay, it seemed more consing to me.   :banana:

yoursign (2).jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5524 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

When I left Swartz Bay, it seemed more consing to me.   :banana:

yoursign (2).jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 04:48 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5525 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

'OFF' is the new rear display for the 'NOT IN SERVICE' sign. Having one 3-letter word take up the entire sign is easier to read than the stacked text reading 'NOT IN SERVICE' that we used to have, or the alternative of having the rear sign constantly side-scroll the words 'NOT IN SERVICE'. 

'OFF' (as in off-duty) is also more widely understood by the general public than the abbreviation 'NIS' which some other systems use. 

It makes sense I was just curious as at the exchange I saw other buses that still had "NOT IN SERVICE" so I thought it might just be an extra thing they can do like the scrolling buses I sometimes see.

#5526 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

I haven't noticed the OFF signs in the rear of the buses yet, but I have noticed that some of the 50 DOWNTOWN and 50 LANGFORD signs in the front of the bus appear to be bigger and more noticeable.

I think they just changed the font sizes for signs in their programming, as I doubt they replaced the signs with larger ones.
😂

The signage programming was never fully utilized until this update. Additionally the standards/guidelines have been updated to have destination signage more consistent when it comes to a proper font size. With this change you will see more consistent route number sizing and increased font size of the wording too - as well as standardized abbreviations when necessary to fit on the display. You may also notice some of the "VIA"s have been removed in an effort to simplify messaging.

#5527 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

😂

The signage programming was never fully utilized until this update. Additionally the standards/guidelines have been updated to have destination signage more consistent when it comes to a proper font size. With this change you will see more consistent route number sizing and increased font size of the wording too - as well as standardized abbreviations when necessary to fit on the display. You may also notice some of the "VIA"s have been removed in an effort to simplify messaging.
  • Nparker and CV92 like this

#5528 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:30 PM

You can say that again!

#5529 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:40 PM

You can say that again!

Why?

#5530 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:10 AM

Heading to Vancouver via transit bus? Starting tomorrow, Translink in Vancouver is stepping up service to and from the Tsawwassen terminal to as many as four 60-foot articulated buses per sailing, year round - part of 105,000 extra transit hours on Mainland

MORE:

• Nparker and Kungsberg like this

#5531 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

I didn't notice any "via" messages missing however I did notice a different one (72 says "Swartz Bay via Saanichton") and a couple new ones (70 says via HWY 17 both directions, I saw a 27 saying "Gordon Head via Shellbourne" but I didn't see any heading downtown or any 28s.

I also noticed a 50&61 that said "Langford to 61 Sooke" while the "50" stayed as the route number aside from alternating at the back. I didn't see any 30/1&75 or 7&2/A buses today so I don't know if that's a general thing or a thing specific for the route.

#5532 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

I didn't notice any "via" messages missing however I did notice a different one (72 says "Swartz Bay via Saanichton") and a couple new ones (70 says via HWY 17 both directions, I saw a 27 saying "Gordon Head via Shellbourne" but I didn't see any heading downtown or any 28s.

I also noticed a 50&61 that said "Langford to 61 Sooke" while the "50" stayed as the route number aside from alternating at the back. I didn't see any 30/1&75 or 7&2/A buses today so I don't know if that's a general thing or a thing specific for the route.

The route numbers have been fixed on signage involving interlining trips (where a bus starts as one route and extends as a second route). The idea behind "VIA" is to indicate something that is typically different that the normal practice - or where alternate routing occurs. Basically the unnecessary "VIA"s have been removed while others have been added. The practice of when to use them is where things have changed. Routes leaving downtown tend to require additional info while trips coming in don't (ie. ROUTE 27/28 on Shelbourne now have "VIA SHELBOURNE" on the outbound trips but do not returning to Downtown). Hope this helps with what has been implemented.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#5533 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

The route numbers have been fixed on signage involving interlining trips (where a bus starts as one route and extends as a second route). The idea behind "VIA" is to indicate something that is typically different that the normal practice - or where alternate routing occurs. Basically the unnecessary "VIA"s have been removed while others have been added. The practice of when to use them is where things have changed. Routes leaving downtown tend to require additional info while trips coming in don't (ie. ROUTE 27/28 on Shelbourne now have "VIA SHELBOURNE" on the outbound trips but do not returning to Downtown). Hope this helps with what has been implemented.

I think I get it now. I saw the 16 changed to "Uvic McKenzie EXP" which better describes it than "Uvic via McKenzie" exactly like the 26.

#5534 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Anybody know the process of how Google Maps updates Transit stop locations, and bus arrival/departure times?

Specifically, I noticed that Google maps still shows the old bus stop locations on Pandora Ave (pre cycletrack)

Edited by Linear Thinker, 06 September 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#5535 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

Anybody know the process of how Google Maps updates Transit stop locations, and bus arrival/departure times?

Specifically, I noticed that Google maps still shows the old bus stop locations on Pandora Ave (pre cycletrack)

Maybe they need someone to notify them. A couple I know of that moved but aren't moved on Google Maps are Lansdowne at Frechette should be right at Frechette and pretty much right across from each other and the Douglas at Bay stop heading out of town is on the other side of Field in front of "Great Canadian Oil Change" but even BC Transit still calls this "Douglas at Bay" when it should be "Douglas at Field" (it was always closer there anyway)

#5536 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

Does any body know why the 11 is never doubledecker? It seems to be just as busy as the 14 and 15 which can be. I'm guessing some part of its route has low power lines or tree branches or something that the bus can't clear.

#5537 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

The 61x is now 61X SOOKE / via EXPRESS

#5538 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Heading to Vancouver via transit bus? Starting tomorrow, Translink in Vancouver is stepping up service to and from the Tsawwassen terminal to as many as four 60-foot articulated buses per sailing, year round - part of 105,000 extra transit hours on Mainland

MORE:

Great news.  The system is really good except for the foot race off the ferry to get in the bus line to (hopefully) get a seat and the competition for onboard space with large pieces of luggage.  Hopefully having more buses will have travellers spread out a bit more.  And having a pre-loaded Compass card at the ready is really great.  I like that you get discounted fares when using the Compass card instead of cash.

As for Victoria Transit, I miss the summer schedule as both inbound and outbound buses I had were both double deckers.  Now they aren't and I miss the extra space going upstairs gave you!

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#5539 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

As I have said in the past, why not have that bus inside the compound, at the berth.  Just for pick-up.

#5540 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

As for Victoria Transit, I miss the summer schedule as both inbound and outbound buses I had were both double deckers.  Now they aren't and I miss the extra space going upstairs gave you!

I actually notice a lot more 70s and 72s are single deck than before. I rarely ride them but I'm downtown a lot and I don't recall ever seeing a single deck 70 and very rarely a 72 but now the majority I see are single. In fact the 26, 15, 14 and 4 are the only routes that don't seem to have had the double deck count cut down. During the spring almost every 21 seemed to be DD but I've only seen 1 counting my time at Camosun and Downtown.

On another note I rode one of those new smaller buses (I think a previous post someone mentioned they were getting them for routes like the 3) today. Weirdly it was a 15 heading towards Esquimalt but those buses are really comfortable.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users