Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5541 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

^ Actually, it was a 4 inbound and a 15 outbound that are no longer double deckers for me, and these are at morning/afternoon peak times.

#5542 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

^ Actually, it was a 4 inbound and a 15 outbound that are no longer double deckers for me, and these are at morning/afternoon peak times.

Weird I've seen a lot of both routes heading both directions as double-deckers through the day. I was actually surprised how often the 15 seemed to be DD.

#5543 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

As I have said in the past, why not have that bus inside the compound, at the berth.  Just for pick-up.

Not a bad idea....and almost a no brainer.  Any logistical or policy issues aside from actual space inside that terminal that this couldn't be accommodated?

Edited by Kach, 22 September 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#5544 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:53 AM

Just noting that BC Transit's Future Plan for Victoria is coming up on 7 years old in May (current plan released May 2011), are we aware of plans to refresh this document to reflect evolution in thinking or transit patterns?

#5545 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

Saturday bus service between Cowichan-Victoria announced:

Riders will be able to take the bus to Victoria from Cowichan on Saturdays starting Oct. 14.

A partnership between BC Transit, the Cowichan Valley Regional District and Greater Victoria and the success of the weekday commuter service has resulted in the expanded service.

The commuter service has been up and running with great success since launching in 2008. The new service will use the same buses.

It’ll cost riders $10 one-way to travel between the two regions. Children four years of age and under ride free when accompanied by a fare-paying adult.

Thus far, three round-trips will be made, though the times have yet to be announced.

“Route 44 is a great opportunity to increase transit ridership at a fairly low cost,” said CVRD board chair Jon Lefebure. “It also allows us to showcase our region to visitors who may not otherwise explore it.”

Isn't this the Route 66? Are they changing the number or did someone mess up?

Edit: nvm went to BC Transit's Cowichan Valley site and it's a completely new route https://bctransit.co...e=1403648381499

Edited by Cats4Hire, 22 September 2017 - 06:29 PM.

#5546 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:31 PM

A partnership between BC Transit, the Cowichan Valley Regional District and Greater Victoria and the success of the weekday commuter service has resulted in the expanded service.

Greater Victoria?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5547 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

I wonder if Route 44 will also have no pick-up heading into Victoria past a certain point (not sure where) or if people can get on at Uptown and ride into downtown Victoria. If the later I wonder if rates will be adjusted or it'll still cost $10.

#5548 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

Probably drop-off only once it crosses the Malahat. Bus stops indicate drop-off only for CVRD transit at Uptown and points further south.

#5549 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

Probably drop-off only once it crosses the Malahat. Bus stops indicate drop-off only for CVRD transit at Uptown and points further south.

Probably. I'm just trying to think if there's any reason they're considering it a different route from Route 66. There's a number of routes that are slightly different on weekends.

#5550 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

Why is it $2 more than the commuter fare?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5551 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

Less regular users?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

...I'm just trying to think if there's any reason they're considering it a different route from Route 66...

Route 66 is kinda special. I understand it's where some people get their kicks.

#5553 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:46 AM

Over on the mainland, however, I think it is high time BC Transit starts to consider thru transit options along the Island Highway corridor.  

http://vancouversun....metro-vancouver

#5554 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

I don't know.  Why?  Except for emergencies, why is incumbent for taxpayers to subsidize inter-city bus trips, more so that we already do with the road system?  If you live in Nanaimo and you want to go to Victoria, find your own way.  

#5555 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

So, with that logic.  If you want to go from downtown Victoria to UVIC - find your own way. 

Just trying to expand our thinking of "transit" as is being demonstrated in other areas of the Province such as the Sea to Sky corridor, and the recently implemented Hwy 16 corridor.

I have no problems leaving to the private sector to find solutions (Tofino Bus) however we should be thinking of integrating a service like Tofino Bus with regional transit systems (shared stops, integrated timetables, etc).

• Nparker likes this

#5556 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:26 AM

I hear you. But the longer the trip the more the per person subsidy, or at least the demand for the subsidy. Downtown to UVIC with all the off and on, if you looked at it only as cash fares, would really be close to 100% cost recovery.

#5557 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:27 AM

On the other hand, Sooke to downtown is crazy at $2.50 per way.

#5558 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Totally agree on the subsidy concern and is something that BC Ferries and airlines deal with all the time.  Some routes support themselves, others don't. But your system as a whole is more robust if there are quality options between key points.

My thinking here is really akin to filling some transit gaps on this corridor and potentially encouraging a few cars off the road, or providing those that typically wouldn't have an option to now be able to move along the corridor.  

#5559 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Not to be argumentative here at all... but if you make the service too cheap and frequent you get people travelling more often than they need to. Yes a person in a bus is better in terms if congestion and pollution than that same person in a SOV. But that person making one trip to Victoria a week, with a friend in a car that's going anyway is better than that person going 4 times a week.

#5560 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Not to be argumentative here at all... but if you make the service too cheap and frequent you get people travelling more often than they need to. Yes a person in a bus is better in terms if congestion and pollution than that same person in a SOV. But that person making one trip to Victoria a week, with a friend in a car that's going anyway is better than that person going 4 times a week.

I think you need to talk that friend into leaving the car at home and into joining you on the bus.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users