• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#5601 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:13 PM

Key players talk bus lanes to help with Colwood Crawl

https://www.vicnews....-colwood-crawl/

Gathering all the key players to discuss the daily commuter crush on the highway was an accomplishment in itself, said Colwood Mayor Carol Hamilton.

“It’s the first time in my experience I can recall getting everyone in the same room at the same time,” Hamilton said regarding a meeting to discuss traffic solutions for the Trans-Canada Highway. “It’s definitely a step in the right direction.”

The meeting, which took place at the B. C. Legislature Monday, included Minister of Transporation and Infrastructure Claire Trevena, MLA Mitzi Dean, and a collection of mayors and representatives from Colwood, Langford, View Royal, Highlands, Metchosin, Esquimalt, Victoria and Saanich.

Premier John Horgan also joined the discussion after a attending another meeting.

“We’ve had 10 years of studies that say the same thing,” Hamilton said. “The common thread is that we need to fix the TCH for public transit. You can’t get people out of cars if you don’t address transit, and you can’t do that without fixing the TCH. The people in the room get it because they live it and drive it.”

Hamilton believes the quickest solution for now is to do the work required to enable transit buses to run along the shoulder of the highway, aided by strategic cut-ins that allow priority crossing at traffic lights. “It may not be the best solution, but it starts the process of changing the behaviour of drivers,” she said. “Buses will never be a solution for everyone, but this would be a cheap solution to show the nine to five commuters and students to see there’s a time benefit.”

Because the TCH falls under provincial jurisdiction, having Dean, who also sits on the Treasury Board, and Trevena involved in the discussion is key, Hamilton said. “I think the minister gets it, and we have her commitment to ensure that it’s looked at in detail. We don’t need more studies, we need the work to begin.”

#5602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

Oh brother...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5603 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:40 PM

BC Transit has reposted the survey I talked about https://bctransit.co.../survey-outline

#5604 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

The Camosun Newspaper has a story on BC Transit passing people up. A BC Transit rep mentions that new route from Burnside to Hillside saying it will go from Royal Oak to Camsoun, down Burnside, Gorge, Hillside, Lansdowne to UVic with 4 buses.http://www.nexusnews...-done-about-it/

That route seems kinda like a weird combo of the 8 and 4. I'm guessing it would run about every 40 minutes like the 8? I wish it didn't go to UVic though. Buses being full before even getting to Lansdowne is an issue with the 4, 7, 14 and 15.

I also understood the part where he mentions the 7 and 21 will be connected in January to mean ALL of them so either the 7 can now be double-decker or the 21 won't be at all anymore which considering the story starts with a thing about a 21 leaving 40+ people at Interurban I'd say taking away double-decker buses from that route would be a big mistake.

#5605 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Big change in Toronto, will be interesting to see how this works.

King Street pilot project changes how everyone uses the street

City, TTC aiming to prioritize streetcar service that moves 65,000 people daily

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ation-1.4397550

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 November 2017 - 09:01 AM.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5606 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

Streetcars are what we need here Ogden Point, Beacon Hill Park, through downtown and over the new bridge...oh wait the new bridge wasn't designed for streetcars.

But the old bridge WAS in fact the present road span could become a dedicated rail and pedestrian span. 

All you need to do is leave it there and leave the walkway off of the south side of the new bridge.

#5607 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

I really dont think the blue bridge should stay for any reason as a constant reminder except a piece of steel installed as "artwork" above the council table in chamber's
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5608 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

I also understood the part where he mentions the 7 and 21 will be connected in January to mean ALL of them so either the 7 can now be double-decker or the 21 won't be at all anymore which considering the story starts with a thing about a 21 leaving 40+ people at Interurban I'd say taking away double-decker buses from that route would be a big mistake.

Currently there are only three trips on route 21 operated with double-deckers. Route 21 will see a 33% increase in service as a direct result of being joined with route 7 so losing the three trips done by deckers will be offset with an improvement from 20 minute service to 15 minute service (weekday levels Sept - April). Interurban will also see a huge service improvement on weekends as well as a result of being connected with route 7.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#5609 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

I checked from 3-5 PM (4 PM was the issue time mentioned) Route 7 is currently 15 mins from Uvic and Route 21 is kinda inconsistent with trips at 3:05, 3:11, 3:30, 3:53, 4:13, 4:34 and 4:49 from Camosun. There's a few trips that have 20 minute gaps but there's also those trips 6 mins apart and just scanning through there's a few other trips less than 15 mins apart like 12:21-12:31.

#5610 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:18 PM

Douglas Street bus lane tender signals relief for commuters

https://news.gov.bc....TRAN0274-001900

Relief is coming for people in the Capital Regional District now that the B.C. government has issued the construction tender to extend the northbound bus lane along the busy Douglas Street corridor from Tolmie Avenue to the Burnside Bridge.

The Province’s tender for the northbound bus lane follows on the heels of the City of Victoria issuing their tender for the southbound priority bus and bike lane along Douglas Street from Tolmie to Hillside Avenue.

While a portion of the project (Tolmie Avenue to Saanich Road) was originally tendered in February 2017, the ministry made the decision to hold and issue a larger, combined tender for the full lane extension from Tolmie Avenue to the Burnside Bridge in order to attract more competitive bids and provide better value for British Columbians.

The tender is now posted on BC Bid with targeted completion for fall 2018 and an estimated project cost of $12.75 million, with the Province contributing $8.125 million and the Government of Canada providing up to $4.625 million under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.

The B.C. government will continue to work with municipal partners on implementing solutions in response to the region’s growing transportation needs. Analysis is being conducted by the Victoria Regional Transit Commission, City of Colwood and the Town of View Royal on the possibility of priority bus lanes from Goldstream Avenue to the Trans-Canada Highway on-ramp, in addition to other rapid-transit enhancements.

#5611 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

What's the Burnside Bridge?

Interurban under the highway, or the Colwood exit?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 November 2017 - 12:30 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5612 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:30 PM

TCH overpass over Burnside I'd imagine.

#5613 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

What's the Burnside Bridge?

This?

Capture.JPG

#5614 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

The highway signage for the project has been up at that spot for some time now, so I assume that's what they're talking about. That's as far as they can go without having to replace the bridge. I don't think it's wide enough to carry three lanes.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5615 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

The highway signage for the project has been up at that spot for some time now, so I assume that's what they're talking about. That's as far as they can go without having to replace the bridge. I don't think it's wide enough to carry three lanes.

Oh ya, that makes sense.

#5616 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

Now, remind me what's happening with Hillside to Tolmie northbound.  When is that bus lane going in?  Hold on, is that already in?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 November 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#5617 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Yes, that's already in place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5618 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

The Fort at Vancouver stop will be closing permanently this Friday https://bctransit.co...d=1403648732318
  • VicHockeyFan and Intercontinental like this

#5619 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

The Santa bus schedule is out so you know what buses to avoid. 7:40 AM seems kinda early and the constant going to UVIC seems weird since I imagine this is mainly to draw kids. https://bctransit.co...d=1403648767037. There's also a shuttle running once an hour (minus at 12 PM) from 9-2 from the Leg to Uptown on Dec 16. I don't remember if that existed before.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#5620 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:14 PM

BC Transit will be trying out an electric bus for 6 months in Victoria starting this January http://vancouverisla...egion-1.3693729

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)