Photo

BC Place

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

Was listening Frank Stanford and Jordan Bateman of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation on CFAX today.

Bateman reports the the new leaky roof on BC Place only has a one year warranty, after which the taxpayer is on the hook for additional costs.

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

I want my $500 millon back :mad:.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Having BC Place renamed BC Telus Place would not have much of a ring to it.

Now if Telus were to change their name back to BC Tel, they could use the opportunity to rename the stadium BC Tel Place, which isn't as much of a mouthful. Both sides might like the idea.

Murray Langdon & Frank Stanfords perspectives.
http://www.cfax1070....ials&Itemid=115

#4 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

Now if Telus were to change their name back to BC Tel, they could use the opportunity to rename the stadium BC Tel Place, which isn't as much of a mouthful. Both sides might like the idea.

I disagree - I think renaming it Telus Place would have a hellova ring to it!! :D

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I assume Islandnet.com Centre is still available.

Canadian Pacific should buy the rights so it would be BC CP Place. Get it? "Seepy place"? ...anyone? Is this mike on?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

:P

I agree, foolish for the government to turn down money.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#7 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well, on the face of it, $2 million a year for 20 years isn't a very good deal for naming rights, nor is it very helpful towards a multi-billion dollar deficit.

However, the real story is not that the government appears to have rejected the naming rights. Because they didn't. That's just PAB/media spin. The real story is why did this deal curiously fall through just days after the Liberals (and the premier) snubbed Telus' big jobs and investment announcement? This was not just a coincidence, otherwise the Liberals would have bothered to send more than just a single backbench MLA.

I'm hearing that Christy was being a baby and just didn't want to share a stage with Mr. Dix, which made Telus a little mad as they thought they had a better relationship with the government than it now appears - good enough at least that Premier JobsJobsJobs would care to show up to an announcement about... job creation. As a result, Telus decided to play hardball with the naming negotiations and then cancelled the deal when they didn't get what they wanted. (Which would explain how, miraculously, for once taxpayers won't be on the hook for the $40 million because the deal fell through.)

The Telus CEO is a smart man who doesn't suffer fools. I highly doubt the government was smart (or quick) enough to "reject" a deal. They'd rather spin and lie their way out of the messes they keep creating.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#8 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have hated the name BC Place since it was opened by Betty Windsor back in 1983.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

I was at a concert at BC Place this weekend. The capacity of the stadium is just under 55,000, although I think the number of available seats (due to the stage placement) was around 50,000 with the floor seating, etc.

The issues with admitting such large crowds seemed to have been worked out. We got in within a few minutes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

Can anybody remind me why our stadium is called BC Place when the ACC in Toronto just got $800M for their naming rights?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 02:32 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Construction of the stadium started in 1981 and was completed in 1983. BC Place was built as part of the preparations for the 1986 World's Fair, Expo 86.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Place

#12 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Can anybody remind me why our stadium is called BC Place when the ACC in Toronto just got $800M for their naming rights?

.......Telus Corp. to pay nearly $2-million a year for naming rights to BC Place stadium.......     ...........Had the BC Place deal gone ahead, it would have brought the government $35-million over 20 years................. https://beta.theglob...obeandmail.com

....Toronto will become the Scotiabank Arena next July 1. The price tag for the 20-year renaming of the entertainment facility is $800-million..... https://beta.theglob...obeandmail.com

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Maybe Jimmy P. can buy the rights and we could call it Save On Food Eat a Lion with Whitecaps Place.   :banana:

#14 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

Nor did mike approve my Octorant Pustoria name change at 135 goldschlager shots/25 years.

:mad:  

#15 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:34 PM

PavCo has been given permission to seek a sponsorship deal with naming rights for BC Place. via: https://vancouversun...soon-be-renamed

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

it’ll probably just be another regulated industry. those are the only ones that have the profits to throw around thanks to government aiding them in stifling competition.

so a mobile phone company
a bank
an airline
maybe a lottery corporation

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2019 - 02:42 PM.

#17 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:45 PM

Fingers crossed for “Enbridge” or “transmountain” place
  • jonny, lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#18 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:51 PM

it’ll probably just be another regulated industry. those are the only ones that have the profits to throw around thanks to government aiding them in stifling competition.

so a mobile phone company
a bank
an airline
maybe a lottery corporation

We could have the trifecta.... the Bell-sponsored Whitecaps playing the the Telus Dome beside Rogers Arena

#19 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:03 PM

A quick perusal of major arenas and stadiums in Canada (9,000+ indoor arenas and 20,000+ stadiums)...

3x Bell (Telecommunications) --> Laval AHL, Montreal NHL, Winnipeg NHL/AHL

3x Rogers (Telecommunications) --> Edmonton NHL, Vancouver NHL, Toronto MLB

3x Scotiabank (Financial) --> Calgary NHL, Halifax QMJHL, Toronto NHL/NBA

2x TD (Financial) --> Ottawa CFL, Ottawa OHL

Budweiser (F&B) --> London OHL

Canadian Tire (Retail) --> Ottawa NHL

BMO (Financial) --> Toronto CFL/MLS

The Brick (Retail) --> Edmonton CFL

FirstOntario (Financial) --> Hamilton OHL

Investors Group (Financial) --> Winnipeg CFL

Mosaic (Potash) --> Regina CFL

Saputo (F&B) --> Montreal MLS

SaskTel (Telecommunications) --> Saskatoon WHL

Tim Hortons (F&B) --> Hamilton CFL

Videotron (Telecommunications) --> Quebec City QMJHL

Not-sponsored: BC Place (Vancouver CFL/MLS), McMahon Stadium (Calgary CFL), Molson Stadium (Montreal CFL), Olympic Stadium (Montreal no teams), Pacific Coliseum (Vancouver no teams)

So altogether, 15 companies (5 financial, 4 telecom, 3 food and beverage, 2 retail, and 1 potash) sponsor the 22 largest arenas and stadiums in Canada.

#20 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

bc potash place it is then!

So altogether, 15 companies (5 financial, 4 telecom, 3 food and beverage, 2 retail, and 1 potash) sponsor the 22 largest arenas and stadiums in Canada.

or of the 22:

8 telecoms

8 financial

2 retail

3 f&b

1 potash

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 February 2019 - 04:19 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users