Photo

[Oak Bay] Garry Oaks (Oak Bay Lodge replacement) | 6-storeys | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

The zoning already allows it. But if Baptist Housing couldn't get 6 stories, I seriously doubt anybody else could at this point.

I am not suggesting increasing the height to 6 stories. I would like to see the present building renovated in it's present configuration. The different wings could be done in stages so facility could be kept open.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

I guess the 6-floor structure was not well-received last night, to say the least.

Some complained it was another Jubilee tower, and some compared it to the size of Oak Bay Beach Hotel. They also said it had too little parking.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I guess the 6-floor structure was not well-received last night, to say the least...

I loved the quote about the "Walmartization" of Oak Bay. Huh? :confused: Is there NOTHING the folks in Oak Bay will not complain about?

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:02 PM

Central Saanich council has directed staff to contact VIHA and offer up land adjacent to Saan Pen hospital - for the new Oak Bay Lodge.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

Central Saanich council has directed staff to contact VIHA and offer up land adjacent to Saan Pen hospital - for the new Oak Bay Lodge.

I think thats a great idea for CS...too bad for OB. As usual the vocal minority got their way. As a long time resident of OB it doesnt surprise me anymore regarding the NIMBY attitude here.

So when it closes it will be interesting to see how may residents of OB howl when they have to travel across town to visit their loved one because there is nothing available locally.

I'm surprised that the old Uplands School campus has not been considered, it may be a great location being so close to Camosun and UVic.

#26 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

I think thats a great idea for CS...too bad for OB. As usual the vocal minority got their way. As a long time resident of OB it doesnt surprise me anymore regarding the NIMBY attitude here.

So when it closes it will be interesting to see how may residents of OB howl when they have to travel across town to visit their loved one because there is nothing available locally.

I'm surprised that the old Uplands School campus has not been considered, it may be a great location being so close to Camosun and UVic.

Uplands School is in use as an international high school: http://www.studyinvi...ams/uplands.asp

#27 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

....This! S_ _ _ w Oak Bay; what a bunch of Luddites. My 77-year old mother who has Alzheimer's disease thanks them very much, along with many hundreds if not thousands of other Alzheimer sufferers. With all the snivelling, caterwalling and bellyaching behind the Tweed Curtain you would have thought the Baptist Housing Society was proposing a 100+ storey Empire State Building "west", rather than a 5-6 storey facility that is badly, badly needed in this region. Thanks to the mayor and all the other OB NIMBY's for their selfish, shortsighted, and tiny-minded attitudes.

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

...what a bunch of Luddites...Thanks to the mayor and all the other OB NIMBY's for their selfish, shortsighted, and tiny-minded attitudes.

And this, my friends, is why democracy (sometimes) does not work. In some matters not everyone should have a voice.:judge:

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:06 AM

....This! S_ _ _ w Oak Bay; what a bunch of Luddites. My 77-year old mother who has Alzheimer's disease thanks them very much, along with many hundreds if not thousands of other Alzheimer sufferers. With all the snivelling, caterwalling and bellyaching behind the Tweed Curtain you would have thought the Baptist Housing Society was proposing a 100+ storey Empire State Building "west", rather than a 5-6 storey facility that is badly, badly needed in this region. Thanks to the mayor and all the other OB NIMBY's for their selfish, shortsighted, and tiny-minded attitudes.

ASE, sorry to hear this decision will negatively impact your family.

I don't know whether there's an agenda playing out or Oak Bay is simply showing its true colours, but together with the Baptist Housing debacle, the damning of people who build modern homes, the Oak Bay Beach Hotel rezoning, and many other issues that have been aired on this forum, we're seeing a bit of an ugly side of human nature coming out of one municipality.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

ASE, sorry to hear this decision will negatively impact your family.

I don't know whether there's an agenda playing out or Oak Bay is simply showing its true colours, but together with the Baptist Housing debacle, the damning of people who build modern homes, the Oak Bay Beach Hotel rezoning, and many other issues that have been aired on this forum, we're seeing a bit of an ugly side of human nature coming out of one municipality.

I wouldn't say an agenda. There is some but not much overlap between these groups in terms of people.

#31 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:26 PM

we're seeing a bit of an ugly side of human nature coming out of one municipality.

I know someone who worked at an Oak Bay pharmacy for 10 years - there's definately an ugly side...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#32 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

We owned a store in Oak Bay for a short while and had residents (vultures) coming in wondering how long we would last. Some even said we must be a front for another business because they never saw anyone in our store (certainly not Oak Bay residents). Someone with more knowledge than us said they would never open a store in Oak Bay! We learned the hard way and eventually moved to Saanich where the store is doing very well! A lesson to others...do not even consider Oak Bay!

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

My mother was living in Saanich, and when it came time for her to be in a facility she waited about 3 months before she got a call that a room was available at OB Lodge. You go on a wait list and you could end up in a number of different facilities.

Where ever you live, you may have to travel across town to visit a loved one, but in this town you can do that in 15 minutes.

#34 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

My mother was living in Saanich, and when it came time for her to be in a facility she waited about 3 months before she got a call that a room was available at OB Lodge. You go on a wait list and you could end up in a number of different facilities.

Where ever you live, you may have to travel across town to visit a loved one, but in this town you can do that in 15 minutes.

Yes, you are correct that they go where there is space. But does this excuse OB Council and the community from its obligations to its own citizens that there is no opportunity or possibility thereof for a local facility close to their own support network.

#35 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Uplands School is in use as an international high school: http://www.studyinvi...ams/uplands.asp

Yup I know that being that I live approx 3 blocks from it and my kids went there when the rumours started about possibly closing Uplands School as they moved the K to afternoons so lots of families pulled their kids due to the rumour which became a self fulfilling prophecy of low attendance and hence it closed. (regardless of the fact that there are loads of young families in this area that now have to drive their kids)

Since that time after a few years of it sitting empty they have turned it into an international school, however the grounds are empty all the time and sit idle. The baseball diamond and soccer field are in their own area. However there has to be at least 4-5 acres of land plus the building that is not being considered for 'highest and best use' which is what public land should be considered for.

Sure the nimby's of Henderson Rd with their 40km/hr speed limit will rise up with pitchforks :farmer: and pretend flame-torches (have to remain carbon neutral even when one protests:drillsergeant:) at the thought of a care facility in this location just when the pedestrian stop light changed to a flashing light and also a new 30km/hr zone in front of the international school where the average age of the student is 20, yet the playground 2 blocks on doesnt get a 30km zone nor does our high school.

Yup I have lots of faith in our elected officials to do what is in their interest and that of the vocal minority and not in the communities long term interest.

Rant over:badpc:

#36 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Uhh, Henderson should have a 40 km/h speed limit. The road isn't built for faster. As for the speed limit on the playground, I agree with you.

I do know the Active Transportation Advisory Committee is looking at a multi-use path along the backside of the property into Henderson Rec Centre. This would allow a quiet streets/off-street way for bike/walk to UVic.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yes, you are correct that they go where there is space. But does this excuse OB Council and the community from its obligations to its own citizens that there is no opportunity or possibility thereof for a local facility close to their own support network.

Shannon Oaks and Carlton House are in Oak Bay.

#38 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Uhh, Henderson should have a 40 km/h speed limit. The road isn't built for faster. As for the speed limit on the playground, I agree with you.

:whyme:

Henderson absolutely can safely handle a 50kph speed limit, especially between Foul Bay and Cedar Hill Cross.

Any time a driver doing the posted speed limit gets a long line of angry drivers tailing tailgating and passing him - the speed limit needs to be reviewed.

/Rant /OT

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#39 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

:whyme:

Henderson absolutely can safely handle a 50kph speed limit, especially between Foul Bay and Cedar Hill Cross.

Any time a driver doing the posted speed limit gets a long line of angry drivers tailing tailgating and passing him - the speed limit needs to be reviewed.

/Rant /OT

We have disagreed on this before and I continue to disagree with you. Speed limits should reflect community values, not actual speed on the road.

#40 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

I do know the Active Transportation Advisory Committee is looking at a multi-use path along the backside of the property into Henderson Rec Centre. This would allow a quiet streets/off-street way for bike/walk to UVic.

Really? That road is an arterial route and is wider and safer than stretches of Shelbourne, especially now that parking is banned during the day. The only reason the 40km limit was enforced was because of the elementary school and residents concerns regarding excessive speed not folks doing 50 or 55. Once the school closed it should have reverted.

All it is now is a fishing hole for OBPD.

Back to the topic at hand, It really is a shame that the Lodge will close, lets hope that VIHA and council will not kill this completely and look at alternate options

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users