• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

We have disagreed on this before and I continue to disagree with you. Speed limits should reflect community values, not actual speed on the road.

They should reflect safe travel speeds from a traffic engineering perspective, not some brewed up "community value". The community may "value" slower speeds, but have they taken the time to study the traffic flow themselves to see what comes of these slower speeds? Tailgating and unsafe passing immediately come to mind, but generally the "speed kills" nannies are too short sighted to understand this.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#42 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Back to the topic at hand, It really is a shame that the Lodge will close, lets hope that VIHA and council will not kill this completely and look at alternate options

I used to feel this way too, but with the NIMBYism working so well in Oak Bay lately, I think it's time for VIHA to move elsewhere and tell Oak Bay to pound salt.

I do feel for the residents in the lodge who will have a tough time with the move due to their state of health. But if it's not feasible for VIHA to operate two care homes then what can you do?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#43 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Speed limits should reflect community values, not actual speed on the road.

I should think the speed on the road to best represent the actual community values.

#44 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

And this, my friends, is why democracy (sometimes) does not work. In some matters not everyone should have a voice.:judge:

It becomes obvious in times like these that O.B. should really be considering a full-time planner. It's hard for the elected officials to make informed decisions when they're relying more on populist emotion than expert recommendations. [/politics]

#45 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

It becomes obvious in times like these that O.B. should really be considering a full-time planner. It's hard for the elected officials to make informed decisions when they're relying more on populist emotion than expert recommendations. [/politics]

Agree completely; somewhat surprised to learn they don't have one. Then again given the chaos and the "End of the Wold is Nigh" attitude that seemingly results whenever_anything new proposed there, why does this not surprise me?:whyme:

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

http://www.timescolo...9716/story.html

Suitors aplenty for lodge after rejection

Replacement of Oak Bay facility could go as far afield as Langford

By Derek Spalding, Times Colonist July 10, 2012 3:03 AM

The twice-frustrated plan to replace Oak Bay Lodge with a 320-bed, $80-million facility for seniors is drawing considerable interest from other Greater Victoria municipalities.

The Vancouver Island Health Authority tried twice to get a building variance for the proposed six storey, complex-care facility on Cadboro Bay Road, but it was shot down by Oak Bay council both times, most recently on June 27.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

I just hope they do a good job along the Hillside frontage.

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Designed well, this project could raise the entire tone of the neighbourhood.

• sebberry likes this

#49 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Hopefully it's at least six floors
  • Nparker likes this

#50 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

Not convinced most of the denizens of Oak Bay Lodge care what neighbourhood they are in. It's more their families one should think about. I think this is a somewhat unfortunate area for a care home just because there are no decent parks nearby to take your family member for a walk in.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

The discussion on the sale of the Blanshard School Elementary field to the CRD for seniors housing has been moved to this thread.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

Can understand the neighborhoods residents concerns, However it is too bad there will no longer be a care facility in Oak Bay, I'm sure if the health authority had continued negotiating they would been able to make acceptable compromises but they are stubborn.

#53 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

Today:

Attached Images

• IMG_5686.JPG

Edited by todd, 12 March 2015 - 05:44 PM.

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:53 AM

http://www.timescolo...llion-1.2106292

• todd likes this

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:08 AM

Gotta laugh at this:

http://www.cfax1070....e-torn-down-onc

Mayor suspects Oak Bay Lodge will be torn down once CRD takes ownership

Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen suspects the existing Oak Bay Lodge building will not be re-purposed , but will be torn down once the Capital Regional District takes over.

It was announced Tuesday that the CRD will get the property from Island Health in 2019.

Oak Bay Lodge is currently used as a long term care facility but that operation is scheduled to close by 2019, leading some to speculate the CRD might use the building as another facility for housing the homeless.

When Jensen was asked about that possibility on the C-FAX morning show, he said he doubts the building will be repurposed and is "99% sure" it'll get bulldozed and something else will be built.

He went on to suggest he'd like to see a new health facility focused on senior.

Oak Bay Mayor Nils Jensen said the transfer will provide the community with an opportunity to consider what should happen to the space.

“It’s a very important area of Oak Bay and careful consideration has to be given to ensure that it’s the right use that’s in keeping with the surrounding neighbourhood,” he said, noting that the area is residential.

Late last year, the hospital district board unanimously agreed to borrow up to $30 million to build supportive housing — as health facilities — for the chronically homeless, provided the province agreed to match the funds.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps believes the Oak Bay Lodge site would be an excellent candidate for redevelopment for social housing.

“A CRD-owned property is an easy one because the ownership structure is such that the CRD can do the work, basically, as the developer,” Helps said.

Jensen said all options should be considered.

“I don’t think at this point we should take any of the options off the table,” he said.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:23 AM

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps believes the Oak Bay Lodge site would be an excellent candidate for redevelopment for social housing.

I'm sure Nickell Bros could move the lodge into the city where there is more demand for social housing.

Edited by Bingo, 07 February 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#57 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:52 AM

moved to right thread

Edited by amor de cosmos, 07 February 2017 - 09:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users