BUILT
1515 Douglas Street
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1515 Douglas Street is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1515 Douglas Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1287 replies to this topic

#1261 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:25 PM

I just don't like evergreen trees in the city like that. They aren't good for offering useful shade, and their basic form just looks awkward and out of place to my eye. I especially don't like it when their boughs are sticking out. It just looks unkempt and comes across as a contrived effort to seem rustic or whatever. In a park, fine. But not in confined spaces right in the city. And (as always) I'm left wondering why it couldn't have been oak or arbutus, etc.

Is it a permanent tree or is it a Christmas generic non-religious holiday tree?

#1262 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

I assume it will have a finite life span, so it probably wasn't intended to be permanent.

You know the type of tree, a drooping/weeping evergreen of some sort. I admit I don't know my trees and plants.

#1263 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

Somebody will say, "Wow, that [insert comically long Latin name here] is doing great." And I'll just smile politely.

#1264 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:40 PM

Can I be a stinker and question the choice of tree on top of the short section between the two buildings? And also the frosted windows on the one part there on the front ground floor?

Frosted windows.. I was hoping that was a temporary classy alternative to paper over the windows while they finished that interior space. :( Anything happening there yet? Wasn’t there supposed to be a fancy Vancouver seafood restaurant opening somewhere in this building?

I can’t stand the frosted windows, like to see the city discourage those at all costs. Provincial government is the worst offender, a couple on Yates (old post office building, and the Haida theatre by Yates on Yates). Right across from that in the former Saint Vicent de Paul thrift store, the new social concerns office has frosted their windows too. Wasn’t that supposed to be the free grocery store?

Edited by zoomer, 19 December 2018 - 06:40 PM.

#1265 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

...I can’t stand the frosted windows, like to see the city discourage those at all costs...

Then there needs to be a push to reduce any and all street-level office space.

• Baro and DougG like this

#1266 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 06:59 PM

https://www.sidewalk...nd floor office
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1267 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 04:49 PM

Can I be a stinker and question the choice of tree on top of the short section between the two buildings? And also the frosted windows on the one part there on the front ground floor?

Translucent window film is in place to hide the trade mess beyond while space is being built out, the same treatment is being used while the Boxing gym is being completed on the Cormorant side of 750 Pandora. 

Optimistic completion for restaurant @ Cormorant and Douglas is @ June....

#1268 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

It’s a restaurant that’s coming to that corner, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1269 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:08 PM

Any updates on whether the water feature is going to be dynamic or still?

#1270 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

It’s a restaurant that’s coming to that corner, no?

'High end' seafood...... from what I've heard

#1271 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

Any updates on whether the water feature is going to be dynamic or still?

What you see is what you get....central pool fills, water spills over the edges to fill outboard gutter to be circulated back to central pool.

#1272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:28 PM

And the corten steel just gets rustier?   :confused:

#1273 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 25 January 2019 - 09:41 AM

Translucent window film is in place to hide the trade mess beyond while space is being built out, the same treatment is being used while the Boxing gym is being completed on the Cormorant side of 750 Pandora. 

Optimistic completion for restaurant @ Cormorant and Douglas is @ June....

745 Cormorant will be occupied by Spar Boxing Studio. Website indicates they are targeting an April 2019 opening date. via http://sparboxing.ca...Znp92KvFEc9gd5Q

#1274 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:45 AM

Couple more tenants moving in to the building, both appear to be relocating from other Victoria offices.

Wellington-Altus, currently at 740 Hillside Avenue

Redbrick Technologies, currently at 1630 Store Street

#1275 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:43 AM

Wellington-Altus, currently at 740 Hillside Avenue

This is interesting - Class A office space that is quite new, yet they are moving. Is it because they need more space or want a better location?

#1276 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:47 AM

That 740 Hillside tower is definitely not an ideal location. This would be the second? financial/investment firm to depart that neighborhood following Scotiabank.

#1277 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:21 PM

Have we ever established what this odd structure was for?

20190701_132220.jpg

#1278 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:59 PM

No idea. That building & its property have immense potential for positive redevelopment. As it is, it's such a major misfire and yet it's also a small complex. It's practically crying out for a complete do-over.

Daily Colonist
September 4, 1974

Project clears last hurdle

An $8 million residential-shopping-motel development proposal for the periphery of Victoria's downtown core cleared a final hurdle Tuesday.

The project, consisting of 118 condominium apartments, 108 motel unites and 85,000 square feet of commercial space, will be built on the west side of Blanshard between Pandora and Cormorant.

It will not exceed the permissible height of 140 feet.

The major part of the planned development was already authorized by city council last year. A building permit was issued at that time to Speed Development Ltd...

That firm has, meanwhile, sold its interest to Rotherham Holdings... which changed some of the plans.

Daily Colonist
June 12, 1980

"Hole in ground about to sprout"

Construction is about to begin on a $2.5 million office-retail complex on the vacant site behind the row of shops opposite Victoria city hall.

Rotherham Estates, believed to be operating with West German money, has taken out a building permit for the first stage of what is eventually to be a $10 million or $12 million project.

The site, which has been vacant for years, has become known as "the hole in the ground."

The initial construction phase will consist of a three-storey building with underground parking. The main floor will have retail outlets and the two upper storeys will be for office accommodation.

Edited by aastra, 01 July 2019 - 01:07 PM.

#1279 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:08 PM

Looks like security or general info booth

#1280 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:28 PM

It's the ticket booth/concession stand for the mini-Rockefeller Center skating rink that's scheduled for the expansion phase of Rotherham Place.  :P

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users