Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#261 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 04:17 PM

Does Costco care that you are doing that? I mean they are losing out on member fees...

Oodles of retailers and commercial places buy at Costco and Real Canadian.  I'm not sure why they'd mind.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#262 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

I've been known to buy pop at Costco and mark it up a hell of a lot more than fifteen points.  They are okay with it.

Matt.

#263 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 06:20 AM

Remember way back when Save-On had their pop bar? You would take their empty 2 l bottle and fill it with your choice of about 20 flavours.
  • Matt R., Danma, Nostalgic Victoria and 1 other like this

#264 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:46 AM

Remember way back when Save-On had their pop bar? You would take their empty 2 l bottle and fill it with your choice of about 20 flavours.

Yup, was pretty novel at the time.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#265 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:10 AM

Too bad they stopped doing that a while back. :(

#266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:44 AM

Pop/soda is likely one of the biggest contributors to expanding waistlines. Probably a good thing sales are dropping.

• sebberry likes this

#267 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:42 PM

Popped into Save-On-Foods this evening to buy a fire log and noticed they have big signs up on the self-serve checkouts that they no longer accept cash payments.

You still have to press "debit" or "credit" though. I guess computers can't figure out the difference automatically.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#268 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:52 PM

You still have to press "debit" or "credit" though. I guess computers can't figure out the difference automatically.

Ah yes, it's like my bank machine, it asks you if you want a receipt, then at the end of the transaction, it says "... and take receipt (if requested)".  I'm like, "I told you 38 seconds ago if I was getting one or not, you've forgotten already?"

#269 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:02 PM

BMO has new bank machines. No envelopes for deposits. It does some wizardry and figures out the value of the cheques too.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#270 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:03 PM

BMO has new bank machines. No envelopes for deposits. It does some wizardry and figures out the value of the cheques too.

Ya, TD has had those for a while, pretty neat.

#271 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

Popped into Save-On-Foods this evening to buy a fire log

Look like you were scammed. That's a pumpkin not a fire log.

• todd likes this

#272 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:26 AM

I also need to learn to not buy Halloween candy before Halloween. It never makes it to Halloween.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#273 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

Save-on-foods-to-open-in-downtown-victoria.jpg

Artist's rendering of 1008 Pandora, a six-storey, mixed-use purpose-built rental building with a ground floor commercial component. Grocer Save-On-Foods will occupy the majority of the building's nearly 50,000 square feet of retail space, it has been revealed.

Save-On-Foods to open downtown Victoria grocery store

http://victoria.citi...-grocery-store/

B.C.-based grocery chain Save-On-Foods will be the anchor tenant at an upcoming downtown Victoria mixed-use rental and commercial development at Pandora Avenue and Vancouver Street, Citified has learned.

Set to occupy approximately 35,000 square feet of retail space at BlueSky Properties' 1008 Pandora project – a six-storey, 195-unit purpose-built rental building with some 50,000 square feet of commercial space – Save-On-Foods will become the downtown core's first full-size grocery store at twice the floor space of its nearest competitor, the Market on Yates. [Full article]

• Nparker and weirdie like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#274 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

not bad, save on is pretty good. and it's close to the arena so it seems appropriate
  • jonny likes this

#275 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

I wonder if it will be one of their Urban Fare concept supermarkets. A few of those scattered around downtown Vancouver. Smaller grocery selection than Save-On, but a large hot/prepared food area. I like them.

#276 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I wonder if it will be one of their Urban Fare concept supermarkets. A few of those scattered around downtown Vancouver. Smaller grocery selection than Save-On, but a large hot/prepared food area. I like them.

That'd get the thumbs up from me. :thumbsup: I am just not sure North Park is the Urban Fare demographic.

#277 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

That'd get the thumbs up from me. :thumbsup: I am just not sure North Park is the Urban Fare demographic.

There's a strong correlation between massively left wing individuals and incredibly expensive groceries.

Edited by nagel, 17 March 2017 - 07:20 PM.

• weirdie, jonny and Street level like this

#278 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

Not bad; agree the Urban Faire model would be great. We regularly shop at the one in Yaletown when staying in Vancouver at the Westin Grand and its great. Literally right next door and its open late. I really wish IGA would come to Victoria. There is one in Kits where I shop frequently and they are awesome stores, great produce, meat/seafood and specialty items.

#279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

There's a strong correlation between massively left wing individuals and incredibly expensive groceries.

Left wing many North Parkers may be, incredibly wealthy they are not. Urban Fare is precisely the gentrified sort of business they did not want in their neighbourhood. I am not suggesting they are right, I just don't see many denizens of this part of the city flocking to a high-end grocer.

#280 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

Wouldn't they have specified it was an Urban Fare? Sounds like it's already been decided it will be a SOF.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users