- - - - -

Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Victorians are cheap when it comes to entertainment. Symphony Splash is free and it draws massive crowds. I bet if it cost $5/person to attend, the numbers would drop significantly. For proof of this theory: the RBCM was bursting at the seams when it was free on Family Day. At the regular admission rates it is never all that busy (especially with locals). I do think there is a market for a higher-end grocer though.

Edited by Nparker, 12 February 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#42 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Say what about cars? Are you kidding me?

I think so.

The average car in Victoria is maybe 10 years old and an economy car like a Civic or Focus. Regularly you will see 20+ year old vehicles around town. As a type this at a downtown coffee shop, I see a Fiat 500, Chevrolet minivan, 1980 Toyota Tercel, early 90's F150, Prius and a newer Toyota Corolla. Not an expensive car to be seen.

That's a true comment about entertainment NP. My friends and colleagues will regularly spend hundreds or thousands of dollars going to places like Vancouver, Seattle and Vegas, but recommend going to an expensive place for drinks like Veneto and they give you a look.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Say what about cars? Are you kidding me?

Compared to the ratio of luxury cars in Vancouver and Seattle, no way Jose. Victoria has about 17 dodge Caravans for every BMW 5 series.

That's a true comment about entertainment NP. My friends and colleagues will regularly spend hundreds or thousands of dollars going to places like Vancouver, Seattle and Vegas, but recommend going to an expensive place for drinks like Veneto and they give you a look.

You're running with the wrong crowd, jonny!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

I checked out WFM when it opened near where I lived. Went in, walked around, and left. Never went back. Way too expensive for a family to shop there. For the single/couple back to nature granola types it would probably work, or the snooty label shopping type.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

This reminds me of the Atom Egoyan thing.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:00 AM

The TC has now latched onto this story. And yes, it's still just a rumour.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have a feeling this is going to happen. WF is on record in the past as being interested in Victoria and since then the Competition Bureau has uncovered the silver platter revealing three of some of the most mouth-watering, long-term locations in the region. I suspect it will take time as WF probably wants one or more locations at fire-sale prices due to the forced sale.

Fairway, Country Grocer and Quality Foods are all on record as saying no to the locations.

Question is, is a single location on an island sustainable economically? Or will there have to be a minimum of two on the island to make warehousing and distribution economical?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

It'll be fine. Whether they send one truck over to supply one store of three trucks to supply three stores it more or less works out to the same thing.

Know it all.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:03 AM

I'm wondering what the advantages are for a major supermarket to have a warehouse as opposed to having goods come straight off the barge onto the store shelves. Are there local suppliers that would be likely partners with Whole Foods?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Oh for sure. They would tap into various distributors who supply all grocery stores in some capacity.

Know it all.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Sobeys has agreed to sell four of its Capital Region grocery stores to the Overwaitea Food Group as part of a competition bureau ordered divestiture.

They include the Victoria Safeway locations at Tillicum, Foul Bay, and University Heights; and the Safeway in Sidney.

Overwaitea says 14 of the purchases will transition to Save-On-Foods stores, while one while move under the Cooper's Foods banner.

http://www.cfax1070....-local-Safeways

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

That's good, I like Save-On-Foods.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

So much for rumours...This one will probably come around every few years much like the IKEA one.

Edited by Nparker, 13 February 2014 - 04:14 PM.

• Holden West likes this

#54 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Well there went the opportunity for competition. Wish we would of got something new.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

I haven't shopped at Save On for years, mostly because I'm never near one.

I was somewhat interested in the idea of Whole Foods moving in to Fort/Foul Bay but I guess Save On will do. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#56 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Uhmmmm... thought Sobeys was keeping Tillicum Mall?

#57 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

From the TC dated October 23: http://www.timescolo...ncerns-1.668538

Safeway locations at 1950 Foul Bay Rd., 3958 Shelbourne St. at University Heights and 2345 Beacon Ave. in Sidney.

The Safeway at Tillicum Centre is not on the sale list.

#58 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Could be an Urban Fare.

#59 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

What could?!?... it says all stores will become Save-On Foods except for one which will be a Coopers.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Looks like all this rumour talk finally broke the seal. Good stuff.

I was very surprised to see the TC print a story based on rumour. Do they often do that?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users