Photo

[Marine] Point Hope Shipyard

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#21 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

While I fully support a working harbour and local industry I just can't see anyone wanting to buy a condo at Dockside Green, etc to wake up to crashing, banging, grinders, and perhaps some yelling and swearing from shipyard workers

We are renting there now.  Our unit faces North and we are at the very North end of the shipyard so I can honestly say we really don't hear activity from there.  What we do hear is the rock crusher at the materials yard on the other side of the harbour.  The amount of sand, gravel, and aggregate coming in by barge and via demolition recycling (to be crushed) and then going out by dump truck to cement factories and other locations is truly impressive.

Regarding the shipyard noise, the two loudest noises I've heard from there during our walks along Harbour Rd. are 1) barge demolition (the banging is extremely loud), and 2) hull sandblasting.  I think I recall reading in a Dockside community forum that barge demolition is no longer being done here.  So that leaves sandblasting, which can be intensely loud.  We had a retired neighbor friend who rented in the Southern building in a unit facing the shipyard while searching for a home to purchase.  They ended up writing a letter to the shipyard regarding the sandblasting noise and needless to say it hastened their home search.  Our new Promontory condo unit also faces the shipyard so I'm thankful for physics and sound intensity's inverse square law. :teacher:

Edited by Gary H, 16 January 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

They demolished a barge just last week. Maybe they didn't get the memo? ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

They demolished a barge just last week. Maybe they didn't get the memo? ;)

Dang forums, you just can't trust what your read, or thought your read, on them!

All I can say is I haven't personally seen or heard a barge demo in the times I've walked by this past year so maybe they're much less frequent.  Either way, those two noise sources are the worst.  However, in the shipyard's defense, people have to remember that they only occur during the day, when most Dockside Green inhabitants are at work.  Also, the shipyard isn't breaking barges and sandblasting every day.  Lots of activity goes on there that isn't nearly as noisy.  I think the main problem is that when some of those noisy activities do occur they start a bit earlier in the day than some would like.

Edited by Gary H, 16 January 2014 - 05:15 PM.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:22 PM

...in the shipyard's defense, people have to remember that they only occur during the day, when most Dockside Green inhabitants are at work...

And the shipyard predates Dockside Green by many decades. Much like the float planes in the inner harbour, if people don't like the noise of these long-established businesses perhaps they should have bought somewhere else. 

• KAS likes this

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

Bits and a partial hull at right of a barge being demolished in December.

IMG_9453.jpg

#26 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

On the job

IMG_9968.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

BREAKING: Province to transfer Crystal Gardens and other Harbour lands to City in exchange for shipyard lands.

MORE details to follow.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

BREAKING: Point Hope Shipyards to be sold by Province to Ian Maxwell to be a shipyard in perpetuity.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Good news for those who want Victoria's harbour to remain a working harbour.

Will Ralmax reopen their ambitious expansion plans, including the potential construction of a drydock?

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

BREAKING: Point Hope Shipyards to be sold by Province to Ian Maxwell to be a shipyard in perpetuity.

This was a tweet from Lisa Helps right? Would be helpful to know the source...

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

This was a tweet from Lisa Helps right? Would be helpful to know the source...

Yes, originally, but now it's confirmed by all media.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Point Hope Shipyard to expand

Some older news by Brennan Clarke - Oct 6, 2011

"Ian Maxwell, who rescued Point Hope from the brink of bankruptcy eight years ago, is determined to see to it that doesn’t happen. He’s planning a $60-million upgrade to the facility, the centrepiece of which is a $35-million graving dock, a specialized berth that can be drained to allow repair and maintenance on the hulls of large ships.

“It’s the first major investment in a shipbuilding facility in Victoria’s harbour in at least 50 years,” says Maxwell. “For generations, all the industrial land in the Upper Harbour has been nothing more than a land bank for developers. We’re trying to change that and protect the industrial lands for what they are.”

Measuring 170 metres long and 35 metres wide, the Point Hope graving dock will be able to accommodate all but the largest B.C. ferries, and will “affect shipbuilding on the West Coast for another 50 to 100 years,” Maxwell says".

http://www.bcbusines...rias-waterfront

...and in recent news

A proposal from three years ago to build a graving dock will be reviewed.

http://www.timescolo...garden-1.867026

So will this be a floating graving dock?  If so it would likely have to be assembled at Point Hope, as it might not fit through the opening of the new Johnson Street Bridge.

I say this because if they plan on accommodating "all but the largest BC Ferries" they would need a dry dock much wider than that size of ship.

If they plan on building an in ground graving dock to accommodate large ships, it will likely go at the south end of their property after they demolish the old buildings seen in the photograph.

Then there is the buried Telus Cable that was moved a few years ago. That location can be seen in the photo where there is a cut-out in the wharf.

I hope that the relocation of the cable and the width of the opening of the new Johnson Street Bridge will not put the kibosh on the shipyard's plans of a few years ago.

IMG_8992-1.jpg

#33 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

I don't believe the plan was for a floating drydock. The plan I heard about from people in the industry two years ago, and keep in mind this was preliminary, was for the graving dock to be located right next to the bridge on the south side of the property where those portable buildings are. I don't remember the exact size, but the order of magnitude for the size of the drydock was something like 150m long. They would love to be able to accommodate a Coastal Class sized BC Ferry.

Edited by jonny, 26 February 2014 - 12:35 PM.

#34 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

I don't believe the plan was for a floating drydock. The plan I heard about from people in the industry two years ago, and keep in mind this was preliminary, was for the graving dock to be located right next to the bridge on the south side of the property where those portable buildings are. I don't remember the exact size, but the order of magnitude for the size of the dry dock was something like 150m long. They would love to be able to accommodate a Coastal Class sized BC Ferry.

"Right next to the bridge" is where the Telus Cable is buried.

The dry dock is slated to be 170 metres long and 35 metres wide.

The beam of a Coastal Class ferry is 28.2 metres, and a length of 160 metres, and has seven decks.

The width of the channel under the new bridge will be 41 metres, so including the tug boats,not much room to play with.

The bridge span would need to be able to raise to a vertical position, so that the Coastal Class ferry can keep the seventh deck. 

#35 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

"Right next to the bridge" is where the Telus Cable is buried.

The dry dock is slated to be 170 metres long and 35 metres wide.

The beam of a Coastal Class ferry is 28.2 metres, and a length of 160 metres, and has seven decks.

The width of the channel under the new bridge will be 41 metres, so including the tug boats,not much room to play with.

The bridge span would need to be able to raise to a vertical position, so that the Coastal Class ferry can keep the seventh deck. 

Oops, I see you had some of the size details posted above.

Maneuvering a 160m long vessel through the harbour, under the bridge, and then immediately into a dry dock space that is perpendicular to the channel would certainly be threading the needle. They would need every inch of that channel to turn the ship to the left and into that space.

#36 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Oops, I see you had some of the size details posted above.

Maneuvering a 160m long vessel through the harbour, under the bridge, and then immediately into a dry dock space that is perpendicular to the channel would certainly be threading the needle. They would need every inch of that channel to turn the ship to the left and into that space.

Why would you turn in the channel? just go past the bridge, then back into the space.

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Why would you turn in the channel? just go past the bridge, then back into the space.

Yeah, looking at the map you would need to go into the Upper Harbour to where Point Hope has their marine railway, and then back into a dry dock that would parallel the railway.

#38 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

No doubt as a result of an extensive competitive bidding process.

#39 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:51 AM

I don't believe the plan was for a floating drydock. The plan I heard about from people in the industry two years ago, and keep in mind this was preliminary, was for the graving dock to be located right next to the bridge on the south side of the property where those portable buildings are. I don't remember the exact size, but the order of magnitude for the size of the drydock was something like 150m long. They would love to be able to accommodate a Coastal Class sized BC Ferry.

A 170 metre long dry dock could go in this area.

IMG_0582.jpg

#40 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:42 AM

^ That would make some sense. For some reason I was stuck on the thought it would be parallel to the bridge.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users