Photo

Wildlife Population Management

• Please log in to reply
395 replies to this topic

#21 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:24 PM

Driving up Bear Mountain Parkway this evening we came to a stop about halfway up. A nice little BMW from California hit a deer, which was subsequently lying in the road, still very much alive but not moving.

Those people are not going to enjoy their holiday much and the deer even less. There has to be a cull now. Catch all the males and neuter them and introduce some more predators into the area. This is just getting totally out of hand.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:52 AM

Hmmmm, so a family had to be "rescued" after the lone wolf on Discovery Island cornered them.  Good grief.

http://www.cheknews....-island-217382/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Unless something has changed the lighthouse is federal property.

[Edited upon request of the author]

Edited by Mike K., 09 January 2017 - 09:41 AM.

#24 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

I kind of like the wolf, it a good Dog, i've seen what it can do it to Seals though it's not pretty.

Edited by todd, 12 September 2016 - 10:45 PM.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

Is it clear if the lone wolf has been acting as a lone wolf, or could it have been radicalized overseas, say in Oak Bay. or 10-Mile Point?   What do we know about its travel records?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

Is it clear if the lone wolf has been acting as a lone wolf, or could it have been radicalized overseas, say in Oak Bay. or 10-Mile Point?   What do we know about its travel records?

It's supposedly been to trial Island, I guess if I saw a wolf in a residential area I would most likely just assume it was a dog.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

B.C. island inhabited by lone wolf closed to visitors until spring

http://vancouverisla...pring-1.3079362

Well, with no human interaction over the winter, I hope someone will at least drop off the wolf some sheep's clothing so it can stay warm until next contact.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

Well, with no human interaction over the winter, I hope someone will at least drop off the wolf some sheep's clothing so it can stay warm until next contact.

Nah, a short swim over to Oak Bay and there's plenty if young deer to be had.

#29 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

Going squirrely?

Christine Kiss had just returned home from a five week holiday to Europe with her husband when she noticed something wasn’t right.

“I go up the stairs and I see the clock flipped over,” said Kiss.

As she ventured further, it got even stranger.

“The painting was crooked, the lamp shade was crooked.”

The place was ransacked, but the worst was still to come.

It only took one glance to see the den was a disaster.

“It looked as if a leaf blower had gone through the whole den and just blown them all over the place,” said Kiss.

The mystery deepened when Kiss noticed not a single item from the home was missing.

http://www.cheknews....ay-home-234873/

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

Bear Mountain bear alert...the nerve of it.

Conservation officers say they were called Monday morning to the area of Natures Gate Road, near the summit of Bear Mountain, where they found animal tracks thought to belong to a mother and her cub.

http://www.cheknews....ountain-246671/

#31 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:43 AM

^ do bears not hibernate here? Odd time of year for a cub, too.

#32 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 11:02 PM

This was from last Thursday the 27th - - a cougar sighting at the lower end of Menzies St in James Bay, which is close to a fair bit of natural cover around the Holland Point park area.  

Attached Images

• April 27a.jpg
  • April 27b.jpg

#33 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Sylvain Rollin said a pack of animals followed him for hours as he tried to find his way out of the forest Wednesday night near Tofino. 

The scratches on his arms, face and legs are from what he calls the scariest night of his life.

"I was afraid that if I gave up I was going to be their food," Rollin said. "I had the feeling I was being hunted."

"I had the feeling I was being hunted."

Rollin only arrived in Tofino a month ago, but he quickly got a job at the town's public works yard.

When he was leaving the yard Wednesday evening, he decided to take a trail to the campsite where he's staying, known as Poole's Land but it soon became dark and that's when he says a pack of animals began following him.

"Actually in my mind, they looked like panthers or maybe like a black cougar or something," Rollin said. "I had no idea they were wolves."

http://www.cheknews....o-woods-344862/

He apparently had the feeling he was being hunted.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 July 2017 - 04:49 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#34 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:42 AM

The reporter was an ass.

Asking what he thinks if people dont believe him and that he was doing drugs or was drunk.

Why the hell did he need to ask those questions?  Maybe the reporter is not doing his job properly and formed his own opinion instead of just reporting the story. If it was anyone other than a french homeless dude from Montreal I am sure those comments would not have been made.

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

As usual I am late to the party but better arriving there eventually than not at all: to lanforod's question from December, as I discovered a couple of years ago VI bears in fact are unique to the species in that they typically do not hibernate due to the very mild winters on the island. I worked for four years for a highly successful data network company that was family owned, whose HO was actually sited on 50 hectares of family-owned land just past Kangaroo Rd. As I discovered potentially running into any of the very numerous black bear population was an occupational hazard year round.

Here is a pic I snapped in January 2014 in the parking lot literally right outside the office - 

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

As usual I am late to the party but better arriving there eventually than not at all: to lanforod's question from December, as I discovered a couple of years ago VI bears in fact are unique to the species in that they typically do not hibernate due to the very mild winters on the island. I worked for four years for a highly successful data network company that was family owned, whose HO was actually sited on 50 hectares of family-owned land just past Kangaroo Rd. As I discovered potentially running into any of the very numerous black bear population was an occupational hazard year round.

Here is a pic I snapped in January 2014 in the parking lot literally right outside the office - 

Attached Images

• BB.jpg

• todd likes this

#37 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:49 AM

Ducklings rescued after mom abandons them while trying to cross Malahat

https://www.saanichn...-cross-malahat/

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:18 AM

Cougar sighting in Gordon Head this morning near Margaret’s Bay Beach on the north shore.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

Bear spotted walking on sidewalk near Uptown

https://www.vicnews....alk-in-saanich/

The Saanich Police Department is urging residents to be aware of their surroundings after four bear sightings have been reported in urban areas throughout the district in a little more than 24 hours.

Shortly after midnight on June 2, the Saanich Police Department received a report of a large black bear in the area of Dysart Road near Gorge Road West. The bear was last seen on Carey Road.

The department later received a report Tuesday evening of a bear walking on the sidewalk on McKenzie Avenue near Saanich Road in the area of the Uptown Shopping Centre.

A bear was also reported Tuesday evening in the area near Lake Hill Elementary.

ALSO READ: View Royal resident spots bear in Portage Park

At approximately 10 a.m. Wednesday morning, Saanich police received another report of a bear on Wolsey Place, in the Ten Mile Point area. It was last seen heading into Konukson Park.

“With four bear sightings in the last 24 hours, all residents of Saanich (and Greater Victoria) should be aware of their surroundings at all times. Do not approach a bear. Go to a safe place and report the sighting,” stated Saanich Sgt. Damian Kowalewich in a release.

Police are reminding residents to keep food items – in this case, birdseed – inside as bears may develop a taste for food sources not normally accessible in the wild.

The B.C. Conservation Officer Service has been notified of the sightings and police are continuing to monitor the area.

Police are asking residents who spot bears not to approach the animals, and instead, call police to report the sighting from a safe distance.

• todd likes this

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

see if you can make sense of this article.

https://www.vicnews....urvey-suggests/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users