Photo

Fernwood Inn | Victoria | 1302 Gladstone Ave.

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Have they broken the local Groupon record yet?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

Have they broken the local Groupon record yet?

They're up there, for sure.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#63 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

I've never been but I can't say no to 50% off

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#64 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:07 PM

It seems as though world famous New York publications have taken notice of Victoria, as of late.  In addition to today's article in the Sunday New York Times, Victoria has been profiled in none other than The Wall Street Journal. It's a nice, in depth article that wanders beyond the usual downtown tourist traps.  Specific mention is made of Fernwood and The Fernwood Inn: 

"By contrast, Victoria’s alternative side thrives in the funky Fernwood neighborhood east of downtown. In the last decade, neighborhood associations have spearheaded the transformation of the buildings around Fernwood Square. An old Methodist church became the multi-staged Belfry Theatre; the Fernwood Inn, a former dive bar, was reborn as a pub serving local ales and ciders. The once-rundown building across from the Inn now houses the Crossroads (sic), an espresso bar that has become an unofficial community meeting place, and the relaxed Stage Wine Bar, where one can dine on small plates of cauliflower pakora, Salt Spring Island mussels, and gnocchi."

https://www.wsj.com/...cool-1523375069

Edited by Bob Fugger, 15 April 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#65 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Ha, no salt Spring Island mussels this month!

Matt.

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:51 PM

In the last decade, neighborhood associations have spearheaded the transformation of the buildings around Fernwood Square. An old Methodist church became the multi-staged Belfry Theatre...

These high-end journalists might want to do a quick Google search before committing their "facts" to print. It only took me a second to confirm that the transformation of Fernwood began decades ago, especially if one uses the Belfry as a starting point.

...The Springridge Cultural Centre was founded in 1974 by Michael Stephen to promote culture in the city and make use of the church’s vacant space. The building was renamed the Belfry in 1976, and the first professional adult theatre production was mounted in 1977...

http://www.belfry.bc...story-building/

#67 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:54 PM

And the NRG bought the other building in 2005:

http://fernwoodnrg.c...rnerstone-cafe/

We can’t take all of the credit, but Fernwood is thriving—a big shift from 2005 when the Village was at a real low point. Back then business turnover was very high, the Cornerstone Building was boarded-up and derelict. No one else would take the risk on our village—and so, with the enthusiastic support of the neighbourhood, Fernwood NRG bought the Cornerstone Building.

• zoomer likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#68 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

It’s behind a paywall for me. Guess I’ll have to go to the local library to read a hard copy, lol.

#69 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 10:27 PM

Roberta Martell, who was the ED of the NRG 2004-2010 or so, was responsible for getting the Cornerstone building from Robin Kimpton, building the cafe and generally making the NRG into what it is. Roberta and her partner now own and run the best restaurant on Salt Spring.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 16 April 2018 - 05:48 AM.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:29 AM

Hmmmmm

#71 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 07:08 AM

We can’t take all of the credit, but Fernwood is thriving—a big shift from 2005 when the Village was at a real low point

http://fernwoodnrg.c...rnerstone-cafe/

I think by 2005 Fernwood was definitely on an upswing and definitely not "at a real low point".  10 years earlier in 1995 maybe

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:26 AM

In the last decade, neighborhood associations have spearheaded the transformation of the buildings around Fernwood Square...

How's that Vic High project going?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#73 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

I think by 2005 Fernwood was definitely on an upswing and definitely not "at a real low point".  10 years earlier in 1995 maybe

It was still kinda shitty in 2005 - I mean better than 10 years previous, but it was still suffering from the reputation hangover of the previous decade.  Cornerstone (2005), FWI (2007) and Stage (2008) certainly mark the renaissance of Fernwood Square swinging into high gear.

• Matt R. likes this

#74 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

The Fernwood Inn and I just don't get along for some reason...

Hadn't been there for a while, stopped by last week.  No prices on the beer list but there was a price on the specials menu for a particular beer, so I had that.  Then they try and charge me more than the price shown, I had to point to the written price on the page and even then got pushback; and though I "won" in the end this sort of thing should flat-out never happen in the first place.  Never mind the price I was quoted for their non-special beers was the highest I'd heard in town, other than maybe tourist central on Gov't Street.

Pubs and bars etc. should be required to list prices and serving sizes for their draft beers (most already do for bottles).  Better yet if they were also required to include all the taxes in the listed prices: right now some do, some don't, and some say they do or don't but in fact do the opposite.

/grumble

• weirdie likes this

#75 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:47 AM

Prices and sizes are in fact required.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 11 August 2018 - 08:48 AM.

• jonny likes this

#76 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:50 AM

I have been to a lot of places that have a small tent card on the table with only the beer names and a separate beer menu with prices (and quantities we would hope). Maybe FogPub was looking at the tent card.

#77 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

I believe sizes are required there, too.

Matt.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

I believe sizes are required there, too.

I can't see that being the case because I always see beer names by themselves on a list, either the tent card or a chalkboard or similar wall display. 

Here is their online menu. Interesting that all liquor is priced except beer.

http://fernwoodinn.com/menu/

#79 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:16 PM

Yah I would have to check the legislation again but last time I dealt with this I don’t recall there being any exceptions for table top cards or chalkboards or anything as they are all just menus of one sort or another.

I would not want to suggest to anyone else how to operate their business and how they fit within the legislation, I just know that nobody likes any heat.

I did see a local (Victoria) pub offering in their public FB feed to buy someone a couple “birthday shots”. Yikes!

Matt.

#80 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:26 PM

I saw that also.... shots of cranberry?
  • Matt R. likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users