Photo

Copyright in Canada

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Maybe someone can answer this for me. When I was looking at venues for our reception, some of them told me I would be charged the SOCAN fee for playing music (which collects for songwriters). Re:Sound wants to collect for the record labels and performers correct? So there would be two seperate charges now? (and double for dancing?).

#22 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Oh, really? So previously the labels and performers were not being paid for their work? Strange. I had thought SOCAN covered all this, but I guess it's right there in the name.

I generally don't like working for free either, especially when the person in receipt of my work is making a profit.

Matt.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

You will be paying an additional fee, yes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I know that the fee covers pre-recorded music but what about streaming on music from services such as youtube and pandora? Unlike radio and TV broadcasts, these services do not mention that they are only for private home reception.

#25 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

I'm not surprised about this - they wanted to collect fees on song previews too, you know, the 30 seconds you get for free at the iTunes store before you buy the song.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#26 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

And I'm sure most of the money will go to the content creators and not into a huge fund mostly used up by the people administering it and the pittance left divided based on some ridiculous average system based on assumed popularity.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:32 PM

I know that the fee covers pre-recorded music but what about streaming on music from services such as youtube and pandora? Unlike radio and TV broadcasts, these services do not mention that they are only for private home reception.

I can maybe partially answer that. SOCAN does not collect a fee from your bar, restaurant, store, office etc., if you play the radio. You can play radio and TV in your restaurant without paying an fees, to SOCAN or the broadcaster.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

^So you could tune to one of the music channels on Shaw and play whatever genre you wanted to?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

^So you could tune to one of the music channels on Shaw and play whatever genre you wanted to?

Yes, that's already covered like a radio station is, and your bar/restaurant/whatever pays no more to Shaw for that service than a home user does. And while I'm unsure of the way it's collected and the bureaucracy that does it, the SOCAN fee for a venue really is a minor amount.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

I would imagine the higher cost of cable services for businesses include such things like higher SOCAN fees.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

This is good stuff. The court has basically ruled that if Voltage demands more than $100 from people who downloaded their films they might as well not even bother sending letters. And the court also requires Voltage to state in the letters in bold print that no court stands behind the claims made by Voltage nor behind the compensation being sought. And if that wasn't enough, each letter must be proofed by the court prior to being sent out.

And I like how a Voltage lawyer said in response to the damages being sought, that "we're not going to take their first born," but then we all know the letters these guys send out seek thousands in damages per download hoping to scare some poor sap into paying.

Canada internet firm ordered to name 'illegal downloaders'
http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-26296482

A Canadian court has ordered an internet provider to hand over details on 2,000 of its customers accused of illegally downloading films.

Judge Kevin Aalto ruled that Ontario-based TekSavvy must identify customers who downloaded films made by US-based Voltage Pictures to the studio.

But the court imposed a number of conditions that make the ruling a decidedly mixed result for Voltage.

Know it all.

#32 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Thankfully Canada isn't going to be a comfortable place for copyright trolling.

• lanforod likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#33 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

Sweden has shut down The Pirate Bay just days after several movies stolen from Sony (SNE) appeared on the file-sharing site. [...]

http://money.cnn.com...shut/index.html

#34 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

Maybe they should make them available to purchase. It's a new world folks get with it... At least HBO has clued in...

#35 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:03 PM

dasmo, while media companies are slowly cluing in and offering content online, there's still many problems with that.  Too many competing services offering exclusive content means users must subscribe to countless services to get the content they want.  Further still there are too many constraints on what you can do with that content and what sort of device you can watch it on. 

If UK Internet users want access to most recent popular film content they'll need to remember a lot of passwords. A new survey from KPMG has found that while overall availability is good, users wanting the best will have to use a patience-challenging 27 services.

[...]

http://torrentfreak....t-finds-141208/

#36 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

Maybe they should make them available to purchase. It's a new world folks get with it... At least HBO has clued in...

I think in this case the Sony movies stolen were not yet in release

#37 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

How much TV can one person consume! They need to give up on the 1000 channels of crap model... I have my Netflix subscription which used be be to alleviate guilt. Then they started making content and now I actually watch that too. I haven't had a TV for years. The irony is Netflix uses Bit Torrent technology... Sony is an excellent example. Think of their backlog that is locked away right now. A waste of IP.  At the very least make it easier to buy or rent then to steel. This is what Apple did for music. Now streaming has messed that industry up again but hey, the world is changing fast. Keep up or fall to the wayside...

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

How much TV can one person consume! They need to give up on the 1000 channels of crap model... I have my Netflix subscription which used be be to alleviate guilt. Then they started making content and now I actually watch that too. I haven't had a TV for years. The irony is Netflix uses Bit Torrent technology... Sony is an excellent example. Think of their backlog that is locked away right now. A waste of IP.  At the very least make it easier to buy or rent then to steel. This is what Apple did for music. Now streaming has messed that industry up again but hey, the world is changing fast. Keep up or fall to the wayside...

Is Marco Polo worth watching?

#39 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

^ Two episodes in... so far yes
  • lanforod likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#40 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

Kung Fu, sex, political intrigue, good acting, good cinematography, exotic locals, Villains, Heros, good characters... It was great.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users