Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3483 replies to this topic

#381 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm not sure if the building has officially changed hands yet. Cool Aid would be the owner so they are the slow ones, don't think the City is financially involved (yet).

I think they need lots more funding sources to buy it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#382 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 03:54 PM

I think they need lots more funding sources to buy it.

Well as long as the roof doesn't leak get some people living in there.

#383 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

vid on new pritzker winner's affordale housing thing in constitucion. looks like a cool idea, half of each townhouse is built in the beginning & the other half is customizable, to be finished at a later date. I guess that's what makes it more affordable, there's less money up front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthuNNLQbLg

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 January 2016 - 12:39 PM.

#384 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

I love how architects believe the best way to solve homelessness is to create expensive new housing (designed by architects--surprise!)

I'm sure if you asked the world's top fashion designers of the best way to clothe the homeless they'd design a fancy high-tech uniform (easy access spare change pockets! Wipe-clean fabric!) when in fact the best way to clothe the homeless is to give them a $50 gift certificate at Value Village.

#385 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

I love how architects believe the best way to solve homelessness is to create expensive new housing (designed by architects--surprise!)

I'm sure if you asked the world's top fashion designers of the best way to clothe the homeless they'd design a fancy high-tech uniform (easy access spare change pockets! Wipe-clean fabric!) when in fact the best way to clothe the homeless is to give them a $50 gift certificate at Value Village.

So what is the equivalent to Value Village in housing in Victoria?

#386 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:19 PM

So what is the equivalent to Value Village in housing in Victoria?

Buying up 50 year-old motels and apartments.

#387 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

Rob Randall, on 19 Jan 2016 - 1:44 PM, said:

Well according to one poster here you don't need a gift certificate for VV, you just take what you want.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#388 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 09:34 AM

Surge in affordable housing development will add nearly 550 homes for low-income residents

http://victoria.citi...come-residents/

Construction has begun on the latest affordable housing development in metropolitan Victoria, part of a surge of low-income housing solutions taking shape throughout the region.

Cottage Grove by the Victoria Cool Aid Society is situated on the Saanich side of the Saanich/Victoria border in the 3200-block of Quadra Street at Tolmie Avenue. The four-storey woodframe project will provide 45 affordable homes geared towards seniors with mental and physical disabilities that affect their quality of life and ability to maintain housing. [Full article]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#389 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:14 AM

Cottage Grove is just the name of this project, right? Cottage Grove Developments has nothing to do with this, or am I wrong?

#390 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:54 PM

Correct, Cottage Grove Developments is not affiliated with Cool Aid's Cottage Grove rental project.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#391 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Upwards of $90 million earmarked for affordable housing in Victoria

http://victoria.citi...ng-in-victoria/

Deputy Premier Rich Coleman has announced that upwards of $90 million will go towards affordable housing initiatives throughout the Capital Regional District (CRD).

Speaking to CFAX 1070AM’s Terry Moore, Coleman confirmed the provincial government has agreed to match the CRD’s planned contribution of $30 million for affordable housing. Coleman also hinted at the likelihood of federal monies becoming available that would push the total to $90 million.

Today’s funding announcement is in addition to continuing efforts to house individuals residing at Super InTent City, which to-date have accommodated 180 people. [More stats]

Know it all.

#392 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Not to throw cold water on this, but $90M gets ya only 500 units.

We already have over 30,000 people living in low-cost or subsidized units here.

The way to make housing affordable is to cut red tape, and increase supply.  Not tax us and give the money to others.

• Nparker and sebberry like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

A lot of people who can afford higher cost rentals live in low-cost housing (not explicitly affordable housing, for which you apply, etc.) such as older apartments and basement suites.

However much we can build for that $90 million, all of it will go towards people who can't afford market housing and can't access low-cost housing due to supply issues. With hundreds of market rental units coming online within the next five years we'll also see a lot of low-cost inventory vacated as renters finally get opportunities to assume different tiers of rentals.

Know it all.

#394 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

The announcement gets a pretty poor reception, even on Lisa Helps' Facebook page.

#395 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

The way to make housing affordable is to cut red tape, and increase supply.  Not tax us and give the money to others.

Not sure where in the article it mentions that $90m gets you 500 units? I know depending on the model there could be more units than 500 for $90m.

#396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:07 PM

Not sure where in the article it mentions that $90m gets you 500 units? I know depending on the model there could be more units than 500 for $90m.

The $177,500 per unit model as discussed earlier today.

#397 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

The $177,500 per unit model as discussed earlier today.

maybe i'm missing a post but all i see from earlier today is Mike's Citified article which neither mentions 500 units nore $177,500. 

#398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

maybe i'm missing a post but all i see from earlier today is Mike's Citified article which neither mentions 500 units nore $177,500.

The government press release says 2,000 units province-wide for $133m or something similar.

#399 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

The announcement gets a pretty poor reception, even on Lisa Helps' Facebook page.

And here's one of the comments.

Ryan Levis: "Affordable" is probably not particularly affordable. How about rent-free. Or just free housing. Why must living in decency incur cost at all? Why it's so important that we participate in the capitalist system which has caused so much trauma and suffering? ...

I don't even know where to being with that one. :whyme:

• mbjj likes this

#400 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

And here's one of the comments.

I don't even know where to being with that one. :whyme:

That guy is clearly living in la la land.....or 1930's Moscow...which also led to trauma and suffering.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users