BUILT
Promontory
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: 83 Saghalie Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 21
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, penthouse, townhome)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Promontory is a 21-storey residential tower consisting of 174 condo units and three townhomes. The tower is si... (view full profile)
Learn more about Promontory on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] Promontory at Bayview | Condos | 21-floors | Built - completed in 2014

Condo

• Please log in to reply
3253 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

This won't be the tallest building forever, though. Townline's 24-storey, 72 meter tower will get built eventually and Bayview/Bosa have zoning for an 88 meter building on the Roundhouse site.

We shouldn't necessarily look at a tall building as having to be everything to everyone. It's a residential tower in a mostly residential setting, and as long as the architecture is good, which it looks like it will be, it should pan out.

Just my 2 cents.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:49 AM

Couldn't they maybe cut the density in half and limit the height to 5 stories? Also make it LEED platinum, make it all affordable housing, and be in some sort of faux heritage west-coast style with native elements?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Couldn't they maybe cut the density in half and limit the height to 5 stories? Also make it LEED platinum, make it all affordable housing, and be in some sort of faux heritage west-coast style with native elements?

Then the city can buy it and house the homeless here as well.

#24 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

>>>Given the visibility of this building for the next 100 years I want something that when people see it in a picture they say "That's Victoria!"<<<

I think most cities pride themselves on their collection of tall buildings ... not Victoria ... I think the only style that will have people say "that's Victoria" is a 4 floor wooden walk-up ... my fear about "this" building is we will go through all the ... it's to this or that, I don't like this or that, send it back, blaw blaw blaw ... and it will never get built anyway.

#25 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:34 AM

LOL, While they are at it I think that any losses they might incur while doing that should be guaranteed by everyone who approves of your idea. After all, it is only fair that those who get what they want should be willing to pay for it (one way or another) right?

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:46 AM

>>>Given the visibility of this building for the next 100 years I want something that when people see it in a picture they say "That's Victoria!"<<<

I think most cities pride themselves on their collection of tall buildings ... not Victoria ... I think the only style that will have people say "that's Victoria" is a 4 floor wooden walk-up ... my fear about "this" building is we will go through all the ... it's to this or that, I don't like this or that, send it back, blaw blaw blaw ... and it will never get built anyway.

The zoning is already in place so council can't stand in opposition.

And you're right, our planners are not particularly well versed on spires or crowns atop tall buildings. Heck, half the time a building's street level design is completely botched ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

...Heck, half the time a building's street level design is completely botched ;)

Surely you jest...cough THE WAVE...cough...

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

I am all for the height. No issue at all but this building will forever be the tallest visible building in Victoria. The only comparison is Camosack Manor however this one is right in the harbour. At 24 stories, the Hudson Tower will still be much shorter and less visible. If they were going to approve some buildings that 30+ storeys at the roundhouse than that would change my mind but they won't allow that despite the fact that from the harbour they would appear to be similar in height. This is the one building that will always be above the rest hence why an elevator housing is inappropriate. I would give them more height and more density to make something fantastic. This is just the taller of yet another twin building which will just look like a condo building from the water. Boring. There is a great opportunity to here to make a landmark and this fails in all aspects. If this was a proposal for Harris Green or NoDo then it would be amazing but it isn't this is on the highest point within a km of downtown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:05 PM

You bring up some very valid points, G, but I'm quietly hoping that the architects together with the developer have something worthy up their sleeves (the rendering we're seeing isn't necessarily indicative of the final design).

The architecture firm is DIALOG and the architect is Norm Hotson. It might be prudent to write him in the hopes that it stirs conversation at Bayview/Bosa?

Know it all.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Politically the best the city can do is just pretend they have their hands tied "Sorry this skyscraper got built, it was zoned, nothing we could do, we don't like it any more than you do." They can pretend they were against it and look like they at least tried to fight the good fight. End result? A drab tower. Encouraging good architecture would be seen as aiding and abetting the enemy to their political supporters supporters.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

>>>it was zoned, nothing we could do, we don't like it any more than you do<<<

This just yells at me the negativity towards tall buildings … ahhh, I don’t get it … at all … WHAT is it. OK, Humbolt Valley … a minor cluster … is there a problem of some kind there!!! No, no problem. I have said it before, I’m saying it again … it was when Peter Pollen held up a picture of Vancouver (in the process of shooting down the Reid Centre … which is of course still a parking lot on our world famous inner harbor 30+ years later, and not a beautiful complex) and said … do you want Victoria to look like this … how redicules!!!

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:31 PM

Politically the best the city can do is just pretend they have their hands tied "Sorry this skyscraper got built, it was zoned, nothing we could do, we don't like it any more than you do." They can pretend they were against it and look like they at least tried to fight the good fight. End result? A drab tower. Encouraging good architecture would be seen as aiding and abetting the enemy to their political supporters supporters.

Oh, I think the City has "downzoned" something very recently. :cool:
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:33 PM

^ I agree with you completely and I think Baro was just saying that City Council will cop out that the zoning was already there.

I would love to see more towers in Victoria just nice ones.

The website for the Archtect raises a few concerns for me. Not too many residential towers there. Mostly civic infrastructure. Some nice designs but all short. There weer a couple of towers and they were pretty good even had nice roof elements but they were office. I am willing to be pleasantly suprised, but may write them as that is a good idea.

It has a whole new look!

#34 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

It will look tall from this angle:
http://www.flickr.co...eth/5538706441/

#35 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

I think it will look really tall. I guess I'd prefer that to more Bayview shaped buildings though. A few tall towers with Aastra's 3-to-4-storey Village filling the ground level out could be really nice.

I do fear that there will be too many "Commercial Centres" around here for any of them to be viable. There is already the Save-On mall, and Dockside claims they will have one. Its a shame this all wasn't planned a little better, because each development having stand-alone commercial isn't likely to work too well...

#36 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 06:49 PM

[quote=G-Man;157225.[/quote]

Density Fanboy -- completely off topic G-man but every time I see your signature I see Destiny Fatboy, sorry.:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

What do you think? Too tall for that site?

#38 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:33 AM

>>>What do you think? Too tall for that site?<<<

No ... just right!

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

That does look pretty good.

It has a whole new look!

#40 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

Density Fanboy -- completely off topic G-man but every time I see your signature I see Destiny Fatboy, sorry.:D

Destiny's Child renamed the band after they gained weight.

I am against the tallest building in Victoria being built on a tall rock and the city not getting anything out of it.

"the city not getting anything out of it"? Are you serious? Housing and jobs aren't "anything"? It seems to me that every new building (let alone one this big) is a real benefit to the city. This practice of the city basically blackmailing every developer into spending money they probably don't want to on public amenities has got to stop. We should be thrilled with the jobs and housing they provide (at their own risk) not to mention the way they improve the aesthetics of a city, turning empty lots and run-down buildings into nice new buildings (generally).
In chains by Keynes

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users