BUILT
Paradise Falls, phase 1
Uses: subdivision, townhome
Address: Bombardier Crescent
Municipality: Langford
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The first phase of Paradise Falls, released in 2014, consists of 13 townhomes, six smallFootprint homes™ and... (view full profile)
Learn more about Paradise Falls, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Langford] Westhills | 5,000 homes | U/C

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#161 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:26 AM

Learned that purchasing a Westhills home ties you into a $50+ / month lease for what the sales rep called a "heat pump."

A Community Energy System sounds interesting but that monthly recurring cost and the usage rates caught me a bit off-guard.

Anyone willing to share their experiences or thoughts about the heat pump and SSL-Sustainable Services Ltd. particularly during our recent "cool" winter?

#162 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:22 AM

I have a heat pump and it never stopped "pumping" during the cold weather.  Would have been interesting if it had as a wood insert fireplace is my backup.  Probably would have had to sleep in the fireplace room.  Meh, global warming will ensure I can keep sleeping in my bed each winter sans-fail.

• Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this

#163 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:38 AM

^yes, one of the many perks.

I spent the coldest days in early January in a yurt up-island steps from the Strait of Georgia. It was ...cold.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#164 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:59 AM

Pump works well and there's regular checks of it. The hearing costs seems a bit high, but they're also fairly predictable and steady. I think there is actually or a fairly serious attempt to sue SSL right now about high costs?

#165 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:07 AM

Learned that purchasing a Westhills home ties you into a $50+ / month lease for what the sales rep called a "heat pump."

A Community Energy System sounds interesting but that monthly recurring cost and the usage rates caught me a bit off-guard.

Anyone willing to share their experiences or thoughts about the heat pump and SSL-Sustainable Services Ltd. particularly during our recent "cool" winter?

Interesting.  Looks like they keep hot and cold water circulating round the neighbourhood that the houses use for heating and cooling...

http://ssl-bc.com/ssl_e_heat-pumps/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#166 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

I have a heat pump and it never stopped "pumping" during the cold weather.  Would have been interesting if it had as a wood insert fireplace is my backup.  Probably would have had to sleep in the fireplace room.  Meh, global warming will ensure I can keep sleeping in my bed each winter sans-fail.

You would burn wood just to keep yourself warm? Heretic.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#167 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:43 AM

You would burn wood just to keep yourself warm? Heretic.

Sure do.

And quite often I burn it just because the fire is pretty and it's not even cold.

#168 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Two new schools coming to Westhills...

Investing in Westshore students’ futures

The Government of British Columbia has provided the Sooke School District with $23.3 million toward the purchase of 6.5 hectares (16 acres) of land in Langford. The district’s goal is to build an elementary school and a middle school on the site. The site is at the corner of Westshore Parkway and Constellation Avenue in the Westhills development.

#169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:12 PM

I like the idea of two or more schools sharing the site.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#170 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:16 PM

I guess the $23.3 million for the land is going to the Westhills developer?
  • Lorenzo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#171 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 18 December 2017 - 06:18 PM

Two new schools coming to Westhills...

Investing in Westshore students’ futures

We have been looking at Westhills for quite some time and are more and more impressed as it is building out. It is one of the few places that seems to have the end user in mind as it designs and sells its product.

We are waiting for their new townhouse development to open up as it seems like it might be larger than normal units and very close to the new schools. Can't afford a free standing house but the next rung down (financially) seems to offer great value. We are finally optimistic about being able to buy a new home.

• Mike K. likes this

#172 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:21 PM

Lakepoint Two Condominiums coming soon?

26238811_1765804100130761_12239040778075

26733706_1765808963463608_62624577424864

• 2F2R and jonny like this

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:27 PM

I thought the whole point of living out in the boondocks was to avoid confining oneself to a glass coffin in the sky, like us poor unfortunates downtown.  :confused:  

Edit: or so some posters would have us believe.

Edited by Nparker, 06 March 2018 - 10:28 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#174 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Glass Coffin In The Sky is touring with Tinto Rocks this summer and fall. Check your local listings.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:31 PM

Glass Coffin In The Sky is touring with Tinto Rocks this summer and fall...

And here I thought it was just a Norman Greenbaum tune:P

• johnk likes this

#176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:05 AM

They’re working on the final height and design at this point. There should be more info soon.

Know it all.

#177 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 07 March 2018 - 07:07 AM

Wow! We are registered with them and have been waiting for info on their new family townhouses but this might change our minds.  What a great looking building and the views should be specatcular. Can't wait!

#178 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

Notice how the drawings omit the huge power lines which are a dominant feature of WestHills?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#179 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 11:39 AM

I thought the whole point of living out in the boondocks was to avoid confining oneself to a glass coffin in the sky, like us poor unfortunates downtown.  :confused:  

Edit: or so some posters would have us believe.

Boondocks? No longer! This is a mini-city centre!

#180 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:26 PM

Westhills is not going ahead with the Lakepoint Two building until they feel the market warrants it. The condo building would be Langford’s tallest structure at 17 storeys and 116 units, ranging from studios to three-bedroom suites.

“We haven’t pulled it off the table by any means,” Sproule said. “But we’re at the mercy of the government, it’s not good for the developer or the consumer.” 

~ https://www.goldstre...eculation-tax/ 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users