BUILT
Black and White
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1033 Cook Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, penthouse, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Black and White is a six-storey mixed-used development with five residential levels above a ground floor comme... (view full profile)
Learn more about Black and White on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Black and White | Condos; commercial | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2019

• Please log in to reply
960 replies to this topic

#41 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

^ Excellent example. A great example where blowing the first floor ruins the presence of a building. The commercial is recessed from the street wall and then to top it off the glass is a dark blue so you can't see inside.

& trees on the fort & cook sides which could block light

#42 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

The Sidney example of a poor storefront is bang on....I've walked by it frequently and the interaction with street level is horrible.

This will be a concrete building I take it?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

They're not sure if it's going to be wood, steel or concrete. I guess at that height, it's a toss up, depending on costs at the time of decision.

I was looking for a "first floor" thread where we could expand on what makes a good ground floor pedestrian experience. The examples in aastra's post are some of the best you will ever see.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

SE corner Douglas Pandora http://g.co/maps/zuhky has always struck me as being an example of "wtf were you thinking?" I suppose it doubles the retail frontage but lately much of it seems to be vacant.

Back on topic, the Fort/Cook corner is a prime spot for redevelopment but I've always liked the character of those shops along Cook. Great window shopping - probably something to do with the current setbacks as noted.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

SE corner Douglas Pandora http://g.co/maps/zuhky has always struck me as being an example of "wtf were you thinking?

Some of the worst designed retail space ever; neither floor benefits from it's (almost) street-front location.The only thing this building is good for is as an example of how NOT to design a podium.

#46 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:21 PM

Here's some views from the video (http://vimeo.com/35526027)

#47 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

Ugh, yeah that pillared part looks horrible to me.

#48 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Those posts are great for collecting graffiti tags.

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

A great feature are the bay windows along Fort St., which would give residents a good view down the street and would also help articulate the facade (keep it from looking flat).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#50 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

^ I agree that portion of the building just looks better all round to me.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

The best thing they could do would be to make them out of a dyed concrete like the base of the Dig This/OBB building pictured above. Then coat it in a slick, clear acrylic that's graffiti resistant. Painted concrete attracts idiot taggers like flies to you-know-what.

#52 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:01 PM

The architectural style is fine, but the ground floor setback needs to die as a practice. Also the U shape should be flipped so the recess is in the back not the front.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Also the U shape should be flipped so the recess is in the back not the front.

If the "U" were to be flipped would that not put it open to Fort Street??? :confused: If so, ewwww!

#54 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:39 PM

^ Yeah, I don't quite know what you mean Baro...

#55 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

I was looking at it totally backwards!

#56 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

It was nice to this little blurb in the house move story:

Meanwhile, Abstract has other projects underway.They include a proposal for a six-storey mixed-use redevelopment of the southeast corner of Fort and Cook streets, still to go to a public hearing. Plans call for 9,000 square feet of ground-floor commercial, topped by approximately 90 condos.

I REALLY hope this project goes ahead.

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Two of the units, the former Polychrome Fine Arts and the Oriental Rug store are newly leased with fresh tenants. One's a car share and the other's a design store. This will take a while.

#58 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

These create a good starting point for a healthy pedestrian environment:

- Build to the property line
- Unseen parking
- Weather protection
- Daylighting/transmission
- Interactive frontages (eyes on the street)

The building has good articulation but seems to lack detail at the pedestrian scale. The use of high quality materials will improve it but the architect nailed the height for the overhangs for good interaction. Unfortunately, the concrete patios are very poor for light transmission so my view, it will end up a little dark and uninviting.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Updated renderings courtesy of DAU Architecture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

I like it, but the retail part feels a bit cave-like. There's currently some funky local shops that couldn't afford the leases on a new building like this, which I'm sure will be replaced with some boring sterile chains. But in terms of density and overall form I like it and it's a big improvement.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users