Burger Joints in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

^I was there around 2 pm. I would have remembered that beard. I had the crispy tofu burger. Good all around, including the bun and fries.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Finally went to Bin 4 today for my first time ever. Odd, because I live very close.

Anyway, here's my review:

First of all, they get a strike right as soon as I start writing this, because their name is too short for this forum to conduct a search on to find the right thread to post in. It should be called bine 4 then I could have found this thread earlier. Anyway, I searched "Sauce" and got here.

Rolled in at about 5:26pm, saw the hostess right away. Very pleasant, she seated me near the back (after asking if I wanted to sit at the bar, or a table - I chose table). I asked her if they had wifi, she said yes, and the password is "heritage", then she spelled it for me, but without an "e" at the end. Close enough. She brought menus as she seated me, but didn't ask if I wanted water or anything. Or maybe she did, because I had water at some point before I ordered. Maybe the waitress (Blair) brought me water and menus. I like the name Blair. Anyway, she didn't ask me if I wanted a drink either, but she may have just brought me that water.

I got stuck at one point of the menu that said "all of our meat and seafood are prepared...". I wondered for a long time if that should read "meat and seafood is prepared...". I'm still not sure. It would be "all of our bicycles and tricycles are equipped..." but it would be "meat is prepared..." and "seafood is prepared..." if they weren't together in one sentence. Anyone know?

Anyway, a few minutes later I ordered. I forget what it was, a burger though. With fries, no dipping sauce. And a pop.

Pop arrives, and the burger did too, a few minutes later, real fast. The burger was 9.0/10 and the fries were pretty good too. I forgot that I also got some type of chips in a small bowl when the water came too. Half way through, she checked on my burger, got me a refill of my drink, and all was good. Oh, ya, don't go to isohunt on your PlayBook when you are among unknown company, as it has fairly racy pop-ups for "dating" sites. Blair didn't seem put off.

Anyway, $17 and change before tip, I thought it was pretty good. Half-price after 9pm would be pretty awesome. I left just before 6 and it was picking up, that's good as I swear there were about 15 people working there at that point.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

First of all, they get a strike right as soon as I start writing this, because their name is too short for this forum to conduct a search on to find the right thread to post in.

We really need to promote the Google search form on VV. It's currently only located on the bottom of the forum's main page but it works a lot better than the built in search form accessible through every page of the forum.

There's also a Bin4 thread here with more folk's take on the place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Candarius

Candarius
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

Anyway, here's my review:

Are we allowed to rate the review? I give that one a 9.5 out of 10.

You would have got a 10 if your name was Blair though!

I plan on trying Bin 4 next week, any tips on what to try? Do they have a speciality burger/signature burger?

#45 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Oh, ya, don't go to isohunt on your PlayBook when you are among unknown company, as it has fairly racy pop-ups for "dating" sites. Blair didn't seem put off.

Anyway, $17 and change before tip, I thought it was pretty good. Half-price after 9pm would be pretty awesome. I left just before 6 and it was picking up, that's good as I swear there were about 15 people working there at that point.

I'm sure Blair cared deeply about the website you were at when her job is to serve you food. I've never had any popups at isohunt.com so it sounds like you might need to tweak your security settings.

I ate at Bin 4 the other night and the burger was good but the service wasn't so I won't be back. It doesn't look like they really need my business anyway.
In chains by Keynes

#46 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

Hard to decide which is my favourite out of Bin 4, Fatburger & Big Wheel. Whichever I'm currently at (or most recently at) I guess. I tried out the double cheese at Big Wheel recently & it was awesome (as always). It's still pretty hard to decide between those places though.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

I'm gonna try Fatburger today for lunch.

Review by 12:30pm.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Had the bison burger at Bin4 on the weekend. Liked it. Also tried the onion rings, which are big and tender. In spite of the large crowd, I thought the service was excellent. I'll be back.

#49 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

Ask for "The Big Fat Deal." Don't get screwed like I did and pay nearly $17 for a Swiss Mushroom Burger w/Fries and a fountain pop.

#50 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

I've eaten there twice and it too is really good but the most amazing thing is that it's licensed. Not exactly typical for a fast food joint. I wonder if the LCB is finally relaxing their tight control over such things. T'would sure be nice. Beer is cheap too-a glass of beer only hurts a toonie.
In chains by Keynes

#51 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ask for "The Big Fat Deal." Don't get screwed like I did and pay nearly $17 for a Swiss Mushroom Burger w/Fries and a fountain pop.

they also have a daily special also but I usually forget to check it

#52 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

What day?

I've eaten at Pink Bicycle, Big Wheel, Bin 4, and Fatburger and none of them have really improved on the quality of either Burger King or Wendy's and they certainly can't compete on price. The burgers were good at each place but none of them were really great or memorable.
In chains by Keynes

#53 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

What day?

I've eaten at Pink Bicycle, Big Wheel, Bin 4, and Fatburger and none of them have really improved on the quality of either Burger King or Wendy's and they certainly can't compete on price. The burgers were good at each place but none of them were really great or memorable.

not meant to be personal, but if you dont think Pink bike's and Bin's burgers are not above burger king then it has to come down to the customers taste buds. kind of like saying the steak at the keg or prime is no better than at dennys, except at dennys its cheaper.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#54 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

What day?

This has to be a joke.
Even Fatburger's quality is leagues above a BK or Wendy's burger. You're right about them being cheaper... but if you're not scrounging for pennies why not go for best value? Pink Bike may be the best quality of the burger joints listed, but Bin 4 surely is the best value burger in town (after 9pm). And I'm not afraid to admit that I eat at BK in times of penny-pinching, but it just doesn't come close to the quality of the other burgers.

The only fast food joint that I would ever consider having a great quality burger was Harvey's which sadly no longer exists in Victoria.

#55 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

More on burgers less-well-done:

http://news.national...ous-as-thought/

http://www.foxnews.c...olitics - Text)

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c...)#ixzz1vAtz9Iii

When meat is cooked at high temperatures, amino acids react with creatine to form heterocyclic amines, which are thought to cause cancer. That’s why cooking meat by grilling, frying, or broiling is the problem. Grilling is double trouble because it also exposes meat to cancer-causing chemicals contained in the smoke that rises from burning coals and any drips of fat that cause flare-ups. How long the meat is cooked is also a factor in heterocyclic amine formation; longer cooking time means more heterocyclic amines. Depending on the temperature at which it’s cooked, meat roasted or baked in the oven may contain some heterocyclic amines, but it’s likely to be considerably less than in grilled, fried, or broiled meat.

http://www.health.ha...k-from-bbq-meat

So on one hand you have experts saying cook that meat to death so you don't get food poisoning and on the other hand, experts saying overcooking meat causes cancer.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

So on one hand you have experts saying cook that meat to death so you don't get food poisoning and on the other hand, experts saying overcooking meat causes cancer.

That's not going to help cure vegeterianism...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#57 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

http://www.health.ha...k-from-bbq-meat

Everything causes death all of time. Didn't ya know? :squint:

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Everything causes death all of time. Didn't ya know? :squint:

The root cause of death, of course, is being alive in the first place. Solve that and death is no longer an issue. :rolleyes:

#59 Tim

Tim
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

This is a new burger and breakfast place that is supposed to be very good. I went on Monday but sadly they were closed for the holiday.
http://www.jackalope.ca/Home_Page.html

I seem to be the only one who was disappointed by bin4, perhaps I went at a bad time but my burger was very dry and small.

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

You can read more about Jackalope in this thread :)

It's funny how Jackalope predates all new burger places in town yet hardly anyone knows of it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users