• VicHockeyFan likes this

#102 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:54 PM

Dutch Bakery makes an excellent burger.

Matt.

Yes...absolutely they do. Totally agree. What I like most is that its simple and doesn't come slathered with some pungent blue cheese topped off with seaweed or kale :). Its a fresh bun and meat patty with American cheese and a pickle. Simple and super tasty and served only with potato salad as they don't do French fries.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 September 2016 - 07:59 PM.

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R., GaryRanson and 1 other like this

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:58 PM

Yes...absolutely they do. Totally agree. What I like most is that its simple and doesn't come with some slathered with some pungent blue cheese topped off with seaweed or kale :). Its a fresh bun and meat patty with American cheese and a pickle. Simple and super tasty and served only with potato salad as they don't do French fries.

Mmmm, potato salad should be an option more often.

"Would you like soup, salad, or fries for your side?"

"Hmmm, I'll have salad, what are my choices?"

"Green/Garden, Caesar, or Potato!"

• AllseeingEye likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#104 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

Yes...absolutely they do. Totally agree. What I like most is that its simple and doesn't come slathered with some pungent blue cheese topped off with seaweed or kale :). Its a fresh bun and meat patty with American cheese and a pickle. Simple and super tasty and served only with potato salad as they don't do French fries.

They have a unique spice mix - cloves maybe? Allspice?  Not like any other burger in town.  Griddled, not grilled, simple and delicious.  Sweet iced tea, potato salad, vanilla slice, call it a good day.

Matt.

• VicHockeyFan and AllseeingEye like this

#105 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Give it a whirl next time you're in the neighborhood VHF. They make their own potato salad and you can taste the difference. The burger experience there is a throwback to what a "burger" should be IMO.

I was at a well known restaurant a year or so ago - higher end dining on the harbour, definitely not a chain - whose hamburgers were highly recommended and reviewed in more than one local rag, so I ordered it. Damn thing was taller than most buildings in the Cook Street Village: if they tried to serve it there the height alone would have drawn a protest crowd. Jesus you needed a forklift to get it in your mouth. Bun. Patty. Lettuce. Tomato. Cheese. Pickle. Onions optional. What the heck else do you need? 

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 September 2016 - 08:10 PM.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#106 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

Give it a whirl next time you're in the neighborhood VHF. They make their own potato salad and you can taste the difference. The burger experience there is a throwback to what a "burger" should be IMO.

I was at a well known restaurant a year or so ago - higher end dining on the harbour, definitely not a chain - whose hamburgers were highly recommended and reviewed in more than one local rag, so I ordered it. Damn thing was taller than most buildings in the Cook Street Village: if they tried to serve it there the height alone would have drawn a protest crowd. Jesus you needed a forklift to get it in your mouth. Bun. Patty. Lettuce. Tomato. Cheese. Pickle. Onions optional. What the heck else do you need? 

You gotta have mushrooms

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:22 PM

Then you would love In and out. Great burgers, fresh cut potatoes, simply done. Just go in and order the #1.

• AllseeingEye and Danma like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:08 AM

Then you would love In and out. Great burgers, fresh cut potatoes, simply done. Just go in and order the #1.

I prefer yam fries with chipotle dipping sauce.

#109 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:44 AM

You gotta have mushrooms

I'm weird that way: love mushrooms raw in a salad but not such a fan cooked and definitely not on a burger, but that's just me. Same with spinach - love it in a salad, can't stand it cooked. Interesting how the burger has 'evolved' in this market - I remember back in the mists of time when Wendy's first came to the island, in Duncan. Burger enthusiasts thought it was the second coming. I remember them being pretty darned good too, yet with so many other options now I haven't been to a Wendy's probably in 25 years now.

#110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

I'm weird that way: love mushrooms raw in a salad but not such a fan cooked and definitely not on a burger, but that's just me. Same with spinach - love it in a salad, can't stand it cooked. Interesting how the burger has 'evolved' in this market - I remember back in the mists of time when Wendy's first came to the island, in Duncan. Burger enthusiasts thought it was the second coming. I remember them being pretty darned good too, yet with so many other options now I haven't been to a Wendy's probably in 25 years now.

Try White Spots Monty Mushroom Burger.

#111 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

A&W on Esquimalt Road is the guinea pig for a new feature drinks menu. Nitro pours of cold brew coffee, root beer and various flavour combos. The staff are having fun figuring out the new systems but the nitro is tasty.
  • Matt R., Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

~ Jasmine ~

#112 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:22 PM

^ Popped in there the other day to try the new plant-based nuggets (quite good) and noticed how fancy the drinks area was now. Really seems that A&W is stepping into a tier above (even if it is only slightly) most fast food. Real utensils and glassware, nicer seating areas, etc. 

#113 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 December 2019 - 12:32 PM

A&W on Esquimalt Road is the guinea pig for a new feature drinks menu. Nitro pours of cold brew coffee, root beer and various flavour combos. The staff are having fun figuring out the new systems but the nitro is tasty.

I see Victoria is also the test city for oat milk lattes, another attempt to bring in the vegan crowd. Can anyone confirm if it's just the Esquimalt location, or are the others around town part of the test too?

#114 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:11 PM

^^ real utensils and glassware have always been a standard at A&W for dine in. Don't you remember your frosted root-beer mugs?

#115 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:51 PM

Per the staff they are the only location here, first in BC, which meant tech support was as confused as they were when the system crashed during dinner service the first night :D

~ Jasmine ~

#116 Matt in Langford

Matt in Langford
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

I like the new A&W at the Belmont Market in Langford. Comfortable seating, composting/recycling area for food, hand washing station, etc.

#117 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:56 AM

they seem to have picked up a notch.  they got a new ceo last year:  https://www.vancouve...-susan-senecal/

the one on douglas needs new signage.  they are badly faded.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 December 2019 - 04:19 AM.

#118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,322 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

The best burger restaurant in Sidney can now be yours! Low lease rate of only $1650 a month with two years left and a five year renewal option. Full commercial kitchen, liquor licence for 34 seats and the best burgers in town! Don't miss this opportunity!

https://www.realtor....ave-sidney-othr

Please do not approach the business directly as staff are unaware of sale. 

$99,000

2031 Malaview Ave

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 July 2020 - 03:50 PM.

#119 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

The best burger restaurant in Sidney can now be yours! Low lease rate of only $1650 a month with two years left and a five year renewal option. Full commercial kitchen, liquor licence for 34 seats and the best burgers in town! Don't miss this opportunity! [/size]

https://www.realtor....ave-sidney-othr

Please do not approach the business directly as staff are unaware of sale. [/size]

$99,000

2031 Malaview Ave

Chucks old place.

#120 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:53 PM

Are the staff functionally illiterate, or not allowed to have computer access? Because I think the secret is out.

• Cats4Hire and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users