• Please log in to reply
2688 replies to this topic

#281 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I disagree with you that VREB's market share is declining as FSBOs now have the option of going with a mere posting which would be recorded in the VREB statistics.

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Not all that cheaply though as it's (1) at least $500 in total I think, and "out of pocket" (not contingent on 'results'), which is ten times the corresponding MLS listing fee paid to the VREB. 

(2) Are vendors who use such an approach obliged to 'cooperate' (provide a 'selling' commission') with buyers' agents?  (3) Can the public contact the vendors directly (and not have to 'go through' the nominal 'listing broker')?  To help clarify that process (4) Is there one example listing by a vendor using this that you'd care to post here?  

The concept should help keep MLS stats more inclusive (though it doesn't tackle the varying Exclusive listing component, at times that's been a quite respectable proportion of the activity).  (5) Is there a figure on how many VREB MLS listings are of this character?

jbw

#282 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Not all that cheaply though as it's (1) at least $500 in total I think, and "out of pocket" (not contingent on 'results'), which is ten times the corresponding MLS listing fee paid to the VREB. 

(2) Are vendors who use such an approach obliged to 'cooperate' (provide a 'selling' commission') with buyers' agents?  (3) Can the public contact the vendors directly (and not have to 'go through' the nominal 'listing broker')?  To help clarify that process (4) Is there one example listing by a vendor using this that you'd care to post here?  

The concept should help keep MLS stats more inclusive (though it doesn't tackle the varying Exclusive listing component, at times that's been a quite respectable proportion of the activity).  (5) Is there a figure on how many VREB MLS listings are of this character?

jbw

1.  For mere postings I personally charge $799 upfront and $699 on the back end and I don't get excited about doing mere postings.  I primarily use them to source buyers (i.e. individual sells home with mere posting, is happy with the service, and uses me to buy a home subsequently).  The MLS® fee is $50 to list and $50 when it sells.  What about my $110 monthly VREB fees?  My brokerage taking $250 upfront and $100 on the back end for mere postings?  My monthly brokerage fee?  My lockbox fees (which I provide with a mere posting)?  And there are many more various fees you can't see embedded in it all.  There is a reason that locally less than a handful of REALTORS® offer mere postings.  Also, mere postings are never a true mere posting.  People always call me asking for help and questions and modifications to the listing multiple times through the course of it all.

2.  Yes, you have to provide a minimum cooperating broker fee of $1.00 (one dollar).

3.  Not directly through realtor.ca, but on my website I place the vendors direct contact information.  Those contacting through realtor.ca I forward the vendor the email. 

4.  I have video testimonials on my website with real Victoria sellers (scroll to bottom) -> http://markojuras.com/799-flat-fee/

I would say definitely the exclusive contracts are less than 1% of all sales.  I've tried exclusives before = 99% waste of time.   

I would just like to add that Victoria is too small of a market to scale mere postings.  There aren't enough mere postings to keep one individual or company fully employed doing mere postings.  In cities like Vancouver and Toronto you can use economies of scale to offer cheaper mere posting services. 

Edited by MarkoJ, 04 March 2014 - 08:31 AM.

• lanforod likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#283 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

REALTOR® Market Survey - 2013 Annual Survey 

Screen+Shot+2014-03-07+at+4.49.51+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2014-03-07+at+4.49.59+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2014-03-07+at+4.50.15+PM.png

#284 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

No question about financing this year on the survey?

#285 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

No question about financing this year on the survey?

Question 3?

#286 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Question 3?

Oh weird didn't show up for me before.

#287 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:43 AM

Monday, March 10, 2014 8:30am

MTD March
2014 2013
Net Unconditional Sales: 132 483
New Listings: 361 1,231
Active Listings: 3,826 4,333

Please Note
Left Column: stats so far this month
Right Column: stats for the entire month from last year

#288 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

'Other' motives = ?

Purchase with the intention of illegal activities? :P

#289 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:14 AM

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:00am

MTD March
2014 2013
Net Unconditional Sales: 259 483
New Listings: 664 1,231
Active Listings: 3,927 4,333

Please Note

#290 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Monday, March 24, 2014 8:00am

MTD March
2014 2013
Net Unconditional Sales: 393 483
New Listings: 953 1,231
Active Listings: 4,007 4,333

Please Note

#291 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 March 2014 - 02:05 PM

Housing prices *are* ridiculous when I see this:

http://lockrealestat...etails-37373843

We owned this house for about 1.5 years back in 2003-2004 - we bought it out of necessity to get out of Langford (well - Goldstream) and back into the city cause we hated the commute.  While we owned it, we painted every room, gutted and re-did the bathroom, gutted and redid the kitchen, replaced the furnace (converted from oil to natural gas at the same time - getting rid of the INDOOR oil tank), replaced the hot water heater, replaced the garage door to an automatic one and MADE a garage as the basement was just one big open area (walls and doors to create one), fenced the backyard - oh and turned the natural fireplace into a natural gas one. We sold it for about $240,000 in 2004.

It appears the only thing that has been done to it since we owned it 10 years ago is the exterior draining tiles and the roof.

Now they want HOW MUCH?!

Edited by LocalMom, 30 March 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#292 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,237 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

This is why I don't look at stocks after I sell them.... Why torture yourself? 

• jonny likes this

#293 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

Housing prices *are* ridiculous when I see this:

http://lockrealestat...etails-37373843

We owned this house for about 1.5 years back in 2003-2004 - we bought it out of necessity to get out of Langford (well - Goldstream) and back into the city cause we hated the commute.  While we owned it, we painted every room, gutted and re-did the bathroom, gutted and redid the kitchen, replaced the furnace (converted from oil to natural gas at the same time - getting rid of the INDOOR oil tank), replaced the hot water heater, replaced the garage door to an automatic one and MADE a garage as the basement was just one big open area (walls and doors to create one), fenced the backyard - oh and turned the natural fireplace into a natural gas one. We sold it for about $240,000 in 2004.

It appears the only thing that has been done to it since we owned it 10 years ago is the exterior draining tiles and the roof.

Now they want HOW MUCH?!

It looks like you sold your home in November of 2004 for $293,000.  When you sold the average price of a single family home was around $415,000; whereas, the average currently, 10 years later, is around $590,000.  

If we do some crude calculations: $590,000/$415,000 = 1.42 x $293,000 = $416,500 plus drain tiles and roof.

Can you blame the current owners for trying to get market value for the home?  Last year I was involved in over 70 transactions split 50/50 with buyers and sellers and perspective is a funny thing.  Buyers always feel like they are overpaying and sellers always feel like they aren't getting enough.

#294 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Monday, March 31, 2014 8:00am

MTD March
2014 2013
Net Unconditional Sales: 547 483
New Listings: 1,236 1,231
Active Listings: 4,025 4,333

Please Note

#295 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

Wow I forgot we'd sold for that... Thanks for the reminder!

I don't blame the owners at all... In fact, good on them.

It just blows my mind that THAT house (that we put a lot of work into!) is deemed worth $415,000 or thereabouts.

#296 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

If you're surprised at housing values, you'll be blown away by apartment rental rates.

We're a small city with a fairly stagnant population that is employed by government and other public bodies, primarily. Yet we have a housing market suited for a place like Calgary. I can see why the bubble bursters were so convinced Victoria would implode after coming here from other markets and trying to figure out how everything sustained itself.

Although we don't see it on the streets, Victoria is a phenomenally wealthy city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#297 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Although we don't see it on the streets, Victoria is a phenomenally wealthy city.

Interesting how that wealth all arrived between 2000 and 2008.

Or maybe it was CMHC easing access to credit and interest rates declining, which actually did happen during that period.

#298 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

No, actually it's been here for as long as I can remember.

The run-up in housing values has brought in another wave of money especially for those who stand to receive or have received an inheritance. Your kids will be beneficiaries in that regard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#299 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

No, actually it's been here for as long as I can remember.

The run-up in housing values has brought in another wave of money especially for those who stand to receive or have received an inheritance. Your kids will be beneficiaries in that regard.

I have to completely disagree. While that might be true for the high end areas like Oak Bay, Rural parts of the Saanich's and large view lot areas on the Westshore; it's completely irrelevant the majority of homes and condos that makes up the majority of owner-dwellings in the Capital Region. Pherthyl is bang on in my opinion, easy credit allowed middle class homes to rise in value which caused some, but little, upward pressure on the higher end homes. The rise here (like Vancouver) was probably more drastic than other parts of the country in part due to its location. Whether it is perception or reality or a bit of both, people are much more willing to take the trade off of high prices on the coast as opposed to the Prairies. As for money, Victoria is no different than anywhere else; the majority of the wealth is concentrated within a very small proportion of the population and it doesn't effect the price of average goods as that wealth exists within its own somewhat separate economy. Average families in Victoria were either the right demographic to get in early when it was cheap, or they are biting the bullet and sucking up high prices as (aside from renting) it's not as if you have another option other than to live somewhere else (which really isn't an option for a lot of us).

#300 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

My dataless anecdote to add is that my parents moved up island around 1970 because of the high Victoria housing prices. They bought 8 acres with a cabin mid island for less than what they sold their house on Hampshire in Oak bay for. I dont know if they priced out the Saanich Peninsula, but even 45 years ago high housing prices were a real thing, implying wealth imo

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)