Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:18 AM

I wanted to create a thread where we could read about important or noteworthy Victorians who have died.

I recently saw these two in the obituaries:

SLEGG, Eric Robert Born on May 13, 1920, Eric Slegg passed away peacefully at home on December 3, 2011 at the age of 91. [Slegg] started a small hardware store and in 1947 he founded Slegg Lumber.

YATES, Timothy James Stuart October 5, 1959 - December 2, 2011 It is with great sadness we announce the sudden death of our beloved brother and great great grandson of the First James Yates who sailed into Victoria in 1849.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1i8r7Lgb4

#2 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 2,520 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt/Gorge

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

Long time businessman and philanthropist Jack Tang ("Tang's Pagoda") just died very recently, just prior to Christmas I believe....

#3 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Prominent businessman Jack Lee died this summer. He co-founded the Chinese Village Restaurant. Also, Verna Joe last February, mother of Councillor Charlayne Thornton-Joe.

Sad year for the elders in Victoria's Chinese community.

#4 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

YATES, Timothy James Stuart October 5, 1959 - December 2, 2011 It is with great sadness we announce the sudden death of our beloved brother and great great grandson of the First James Yates who sailed into Victoria in 1849.

God I hate it when the paper writes that someone died "suddenly". Why can't they just tell us exactly how they died? "Suddenly" could be any number of ways. :mad:

I'll bet a few people showed up at this guy's funeral since he seemed to have time for all his employees:

Thrifty Foods co-founder Alex Campbell dies

CBC News Posted: Oct 12, 2011 7:16 AM

Alex Campbell, the co-founder of B.C.'s Thrifty Foods grocery store chain died in hospital on Tuesday at the age of 70 after a lengthy illness.

Campbell got his start at the age of 15, bagging groceries and stocking shelves. In 1977 he and Ernie Skinner opened the first Thrifty foods in Victoria's Fairfield neighbourhood.

The popular local business has since been sold to Sobey's, and has 26 stores across the region, according to current president Jim Dores.

"Alex Campbell was Thrifty Foods. He was an icon, not only in the community, but in the industry. I've never met a man who was so respected and so adored by his employees," said Dores.

Campbell was a dedicated philanthropist, helping to raise millions of dollars for cancer research. He was awarded the Order of B.C. in 1999.

Details for a memorial will be announced in the coming days.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...x-campbell.html
In chains by Keynes

#5 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

God I hate it when the paper writes that someone died "suddenly". Why can't they just tell us exactly how they died? "Suddenly" could be any number of ways. :mad:

All obits are written by the family or friends of the dead person, not the media. A news story will specify the cause of death, if known.

I'll bet a few people showed up at this guy's funeral since he seemed to have time for all his employees:

Thrifty Foods co-founder Alex Campbell dies

Thrifty had limited staffing at their stores the day of the service so employees could attend. That's a good question for bosses to ask themselves in order to gauge how they are respected. If you were to die, would your employees celebrate or mourn?

#6 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

A pair of Saanich political icons died just a few days apart this year:

Saanich loses feisty leader with death of Irene Block

Published: June 13, 2011 11:00 AM
Updated: June 13, 2011 11:46 AM

Saanich has lost a long-time community leader and woman respected for speaking her mind.

After a brief battle with pancreatic cancer, former Saanich councillor, celebrated lecturer and devoted volunteer, Irene Block died on May 27. Block was 85 and still regularly attended council meetings as treasurer of the Saanich Community Association Network.

Former B.C. finance minister Mel Couvelier dies at 78

POSTMEDIA NEWS JUNE 1, 2011

VICTORIA — Former B.C. Social Credit finance minister and longtime Saanich, B.C. politician Mel Couvelier has died.

Couvelier, 78, was elected to the legislature in 1986 and immediately appointed finance minister by then premier Bill Vander Zalm, who Couvelier had challenged for leadership of the party. Couvelier served as an MLA until 1991.

Before that, Couvelier had been a municipal politician. He was elected as an alderman in 1974 and successfully made the leap to mayor in November 1977, a position he kept until his election as MLA in 1986.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz1iLuDHhUv

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

These remarkable men died in 2010 but deserve mention for their contributions:

Charlie White, fishing guru, philanthropist, entrepreneur and co-founder of CHEK TV and C-FAX radio.

Clare Copeland, founder of Honda City, political strategist, former C-FAX owner and founder of prominent ad agency Copeland Communications.

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Charlie White.....co-founder of C-FAX radio.

Clare Copeland....former C-FAX owner.

That's gotta scare Mel Cooper! :o
In chains by Keynes

#9 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

All obits are written by the family or friends of the dead person, not the media. A news story will specify the cause of death, if known.

That doesn't make sense Rob. I've read countless obits that described someone as dying "suddenly" so if what you are saying is right and the obits are submitted by friends/family, then why would every single person that submits an obit in the T-C say their friend/family member died "suddenly", and always omit the details/circumstances? It's obvious (to me, anyway) that the T-C is editing their submissions in language they find appropriate and it irks me every time I see it.
In chains by Keynes

#10 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

^You clearly don't read nearly as many obits as I do, and obviously you've been fortunate not to have ever had to place one.

I know a couple of guys I went to school with who died and had loving obituaries noting their "sudden" death or "valiant struggle after a long illness" when a more truthful story would have been stupid decisions based on a downward spiral of substance abuse.

#11 Jill

Jill
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

Jane Heffelfinger died last June.

#12 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

^You clearly don't read nearly as many obits as I do, and obviously you've been fortunate not to have ever had to place one.

I know a couple of guys I went to school with who died and had loving obituaries noting their "sudden" death or "valiant struggle after a long illness" when a more truthful story would have been stupid decisions based on a downward spiral of substance abuse.

So you've read obits that actually describe the details/circumstances of a person's demise? I've never even read one that's gone into any detail. Like you said, they euphemize to the point of ridiculousness. Incorrigible drug addict/criminals come off sounding like Time magazine's Man of the Year who was being considered for the Nobel peace prize.
In chains by Keynes

#13 LJ

LJ
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

^I've seen lots of obits that included the cause of death, once even stating the person died "after a long struggle with drug addiction".

The other tip off is "in lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the cancer, parkinsons, MS society" etc etc.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#14 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

I'm struggling to remember the name of a play I saw years ago that opened with two old men reading newspapers, reading out, "Peacefully!" or "Suddenly!" from time to time. It quickly becomes clear that this is a daily ritual contest between them to see who will get more Peacefullys or Suddenlys.

#15 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've heard via Facebook that John Logan of Logan's Pub has died. Maybe someone else can fill us in as I had never heard of him.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

In Beirut, Lebanon, in December 1965, world-traveler Charlie Perkins and his wife Joyce waited in their camper van for the birth of their only child. It was but one episode in the life of a remarkable Canadian. Lawyer, author, RCAF fighter pilot, magistrate, adventurer, raconteur, Sooke politician, Charlie answered to all of these.

http://www.sookenews.../143498676.html
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Longtime activist Phil Esmonde, founder of the Peace Walk (now Earth Walk) and Pacific Peoples' Partnership, passed away in December. This year's Earth Walk is dedicated to him.

My friend John Hasell started the first Canadian Outward Bound school in 1969 and many other outdoor organizations. Last year, he established the Protect Our Parks coalition. John "died at home in Victoria, BC after a courageous battle with cancer." Word. Despite the pain, he was still trekking in the backcountry with his friends right up to the end.

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

PugetSoundRadio.com is reporting that legendary CHEK TV personality Ida Clarkson died last week.

Muzgbzd9e_0
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

The man who helped guide Songhees First Nation for four decades died Monday at the age of 76, surrounded by family and community members.

Chief Robert Sam, who served as elected chief from 1996 until this week and who began his political career as a band councillor in 1969, died in Victoria General Hospital from complications following a stroke.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz20jayu500

A co-worker notes that it is interesting to think that Sam's death occurred at the same time the media noted the appearance of a mysterious wolf on the island the Songhees once knew as Thlchess, the wolf being an important symbol in their belief system.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm calling him an honourary Victorian as he entertained generations of Victorians from the 50s on through the 80s on TV every morning. TV clown J.P. Patches, aka Chris Wedes died in Seattle at 84.

At its peak, "The J.P. Patches Show" on KIRO/7 had more than 100,000 daily viewers daily and was broadcast in the morning and afternoon. It debuted Feb. 10, 1958, and when it went off the air in 1981 it was the longest running locally-produced kids show in the United States.
Bill Gates was a "Patches Pal," as was former Gov. Gary Locke, Gov. Chris Gregoire, former Mayor Greg Nickels, and KOMO/4 anchor Kathi Goertzen. Steve Wilson, director of "Almost Live!" was a Patches Pal as was host John Keister, and said that without J.P's show there would have been no "Almost Live!"

Read more: http://www.seattlepi...p#ixzz21QN7KqJj

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users