Photo

Deaths of notable Victorians (and others)

• Please log in to reply
442 replies to this topic

#441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 36,807 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm not sure if we can so quickly claim the clearly angle here. 

What was going on in his head only he will know. But I do think the fighting demons line is cliche. Its use means whatever someone wants it to mean, which means it means nothing. We don't focus on the fact that someone has heavy drug use and severe alcohol addiction issues, we focus on demons. Maybe we ought to, as a society, hold people responsible for their destructive lifestyles rather than labelling them as sufferers at the hands of demons? I dunno.

In any case, Bennington killed himself on Chris Cornell's birthday (Cornell was a close friend) shortly after writing an open letter on the Internet describing his longing for his friend.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#442 HB

HB
  • 7,945 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Now that Tom Harris is dead I noticed a car commercial with his son doing it ......not used to that

#443 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 63 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:06 PM

Norman Ruff, veteran political scientist, dies at age 78

http://vancouversun....-dies-at-age-78

“One of B.C.’s most respected political scientists, whose classes influenced a generation of politicians and whose commentary shaped decades of media coverage, has died.

Norman Ruff, a professor emeritus at the University of Victoria, died Saturday evening from esophageal cancer at a hospice facility in Victoria. He was 78.

Ruff spent 36 years as a professor of political science at UVic, barely slowing down after his retirement in 2005. His classes, including undergraduate courses in B.C. and Canadian political science, helped inspire numerous students to go on to become MLAs, cabinet ministers and political staffers.

“He was a thoughtful and unique commentator, whose opinions were respected by all sides. His close study of B.C. politics gave him insights few others could match. He helped regular people understand the unique and tumultuous nature of B.C. politics. He will be missed by many British Columbians and members on all sides of the legislature.”

“Norm was brilliant at what he did,” added George Abbott, a former Liberal cabinet minister who was Ruff’s teaching assistant in the 1970s. “Just a super guy. Wonderful sense of humour, very sharp analytical mind, and obviously was a highly-favoured pundit in the province for that reason.”

…..

“It would be very difficult to emerge from a Norman Ruff political science class without being just a little bit more excited about politics.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users