Photo

[Downtown Victoria ] Victoria City Hall | Renovations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:28 PM

^This is odd. Did Mr. Whipp confirm the tower leans? His words as quoted would suggest it may not be leaning at all:

"It appears if there is an actual lean to the tower, it was a result [of] original construction."

Not to mention, it would have been leaning for 125 years. ;-)

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:57 AM

I think this may have caught them off guard, or at least they had no idea that someone would figure it out.

I can see the lean plain as day now that I've noticed it. You can check it out for yourself, and compare the tower to nearby straight lines.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

I think this may have caught them off guard, or at least they had no idea that someone would figure it out.

I can see the lean plain as day now that I've noticed it. You can check it out for yourself, and compare the tower to nearby straight lines.

I take it that it is leaning hard left?

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

I take it that it is leaning hard left?

Only since October 2014. It was slightly more to the right prior to that.

#25 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:09 PM

I think the attic might have been used by Victoria planning staff at one point. I remember seeing a picture of a lot of men in suits in what looked to be an attic.

#26 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

The tower is above that floor you speak of

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:14 PM

It leans to the right from my vantage point :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

It leans to the right from my vantage point :)

There are a number of things in play here. The lens that was used, the position of the photographer above or below the subject, and the ability to correct the barrel distortion and keystoning in Photoshop.

I think that City Hall was there first, so all buildings that came along later should have aligned themselves with City Hall, but they didn't and now they're all crooked. And that is my political observation on the matter.  :)

#29 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:06 PM

...I think that City Hall was there first, so all buildings that came along later should have aligned themselves with City Hall, but they didn't and now they're all crooked. And that is my political observation on the matter.  :)

So if I am reading your post correctly Bingo, you're saying there is a direct correlation between the suspicious leanings of the physical structure of City Hall, and those who take up political office inside its walls? Since these seem to be problems that are only getting worse with time, I suggest stripping both the literal and political structures back to their bare bones and starting over. If only one of these renewals can be achieved I would argue the latter is the more urgent.

Edited by Nparker, 15 September 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#30 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

So if I am reading your post correctly Bingo, you're saying there is a direct correlation between the suspicious leanings of the physical structure of City Hall, and those who take up political office inside its walls? Since these seem to be problems that are only getting worse with time, I suggest stripping both the literal and political structures back to their bare bones and starting over. If only one of these renewals can be achieved I would argue the latter is the more urgent.

Agreed, All City Halls lean either to the left or to the right but it depends on which side you are looking at because if you walk around to the other side (or go through the building to "cross the floor") things will lean the other way, and we should all pay attention by keeping our points of view and our perspectives up to date.

• Nparker likes this

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

Coreyburger, on 24 Sept 2017 - 8:26 PM, said:

Uhh, have you been upstairs to the development centre recently? It functions quite well as a 21st century public admin building. The challenge the city has is space - departments are spread around between city hall, the building across Centennial Square, across Pandora and up Douglas. A modern office building in place of the parkade on Fisgard would solve that

In my "restored" version, nothing would remain of "City Hall" except for the 1878-1891 building. This is why I don't think it would function as the HQ for local government. I fully support an entirely new, centralized CoV administration building as part of a completely reworked Centennial Square. As you suggest, the site of the existing parkade structure makes sense. I'd hope to see a new Central Library as part of any redevelopment as well. Of course, I can't even begin to imagine the cost of all of this, so some sort of private component (housing, private office space, retail etc.) would be essential to make it even remotely viable.

Edited by Nparker, 24 September 2017 - 07:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users