Ma Miller's Pub | Langford | 2903 Sooke Lake Road

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

As mentioned by Jason-L here, Ma Miller's Pub in Langford at 2903 Sooke Lake Road will be rebranded as a pub called Twin Peaks. By the sounds of it, the place will be similar in style to a Hooter's pub.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I would prefer ta tas, but twin peaks is ok

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Excellent name for a tapas bar, though ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hmmm...

Twin Peaks is a US franchise http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/.

I don't see any mention of a Canadian arm nor it is called "Bar and Grill" as the facebook posting states. I wonder if in fact it is affiliated or they just ripped off the name and concept.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

This is weird. Their logo looks like a crappy amateur version of the US franchise.

Now, there was a rumour a Hooters was coming to this region. And the US Twin Peaks is associated with the Hooters franchise.

The unanswered question: is this an authentic (but amateurish) Twin Peaks franchise?

Or is it a rip off?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:19 PM

It if was a franchise then the logo would be the same. Hooters and Twin Peaks have different owners and I have visited both :-)

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

Wow sad no matter which way you look at it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Hmmm...

Twin Peaks is a US franchise http://www.twinpeaksrestaurant.com/.

I wonder if in fact it is affiliated or they just ripped off the name and concept.

I just learned of the Twin Peaks franchise in the states which is itself a ripoff of Hooters so this might actually be a ripoff of a ripoff.
In chains by Keynes

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

According to an interview with the Twin Peaks CEO, they used the Hooters model but went upscale in food and atmosphere. I think that the concept of having pretty women as servers dates back a little before either though!

Rather than speculate about the Langford version, I sent an email to the CEO of Twin peaks and simply asked him.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

Word is the owner of Ma Miller's has approached Twin Peaks about using the name. No details what came of it or if he would be required to buy a franchise.

Know it all.

#11 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:15 PM

Good. I imagine that Twin Peaks would have been contacting him if he hadn't called them first!

The typical Twin Peaks location (according to published interviews) spends about $1M in renovations. Most locations are corporate owned and not franchised.

#12 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

Rather than speculate about the Langford version, I sent an email to the CEO of Twin peaks and simply asked him.

I take it he hasn't responded?
In chains by Keynes

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

I don't know if Twin Peaks would be able to do much from a legal perspective if a bar by the same name opened in Langford, particularly if Ma Miller's did not use the "likeness" of the American brand (which goes by the name Twin Peaks Restaurant). Twin Peaks is a common enough term that unless the American brand has successfully copyrighted its trademark here without having a physical presence (which would be very difficult if not impossible to do -- i.e. Trademarks Canada would see no justification to protect the rights of a foreign company with no presence in Canada) Langford's Twin Peaks wouldn't face a suit. I think what Ma Miller's owner(s) have done is simply explore what it would cost to become a franchise but that shouldn't necessarily imply they will purchase a franchise or even can (the franchise may not have any interest in expanding into Canada).

Even in the US there is limited legal recourse for Twin Peaks Restaurants to stop Twin Peaks being used to name a business. A quick search reveals an establishment called Twin Peaks Tavern in San Francisco.

Recall that Target had quite the time challenging a Canadian chain also called Target. Just a few days ago Target agreed to pay the Canadian chain for the naming rights in Canada after losing a lawsuit.

Know it all.

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

I take it he hasn't responded?

The CEO responded that he was looking into the matter. He didn't send me any gift cards though :-(

#15 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

I don't know if Twin Peaks would be able to do much from a legal perspective if a bar by the same name opened in Langford, particularly if Ma Miller's did not use the "likeness" of the American brand (which goes by the name Twin Peaks Restaurant). Twin Peaks is a common enough term that unless the American brand has successfully copyrighted its trademark here without having a physical presence (which would be very difficult if not impossible to do -- i.e. Trademarks Canada would see no justification to protect the rights of a foreign company with no presence in Canada) Langford's Twin Peaks wouldn't face a suit. I think what Ma Miller's owner(s) have done is simply explore what it would cost to become a franchise but that shouldn't necessarily imply they will purchase a franchise or even can (the franchise may not have any interest in expanding into Canada).

Even in the US there is limited legal recourse for Twin Peaks Restaurants to stop Twin Peaks being used to name a business. A quick search reveals an establishment called Twin Peaks Tavern in San Francisco.

Recall that Target had quite the time challenging a Canadian chain also called Target. Just a few days ago Target agreed to pay the Canadian chain for the naming rights in Canada after losing a lawsuit.

I don't know enough about trademarks to argue with you, but I do know that in general it is a poor marketing decision to take another companies name, branding and positioning as your own simply because you think that you can get away with it.

#16 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:50 AM

Mike, when did you become an attorney? :confused:

So the Canadian Target really did become a target for the American Target. I'm only familiar with the American Target but i've never liked the name since it seems to taunt unsavory characters. The corporate slogan should be, "Bring it on suckas!" The name makes sense for a gun/weapons store, for a discount retailer, not so much.
In chains by Keynes

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Phil

When are you going to contribute something in order to be be a valued member of this forum? (1167 posts)

Never mind Mike..Mike knows exactly what he is doing...are you willing to step up and add something worthwhile?

#18 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Some body is hiring ! A resume and a picture ?that legal?

http://www.usedvicto...ENDERS_16634967

I guess usedvictoria does not have a built in spell check :rolleyes:
TWIN PEAKS BAR & GRILL LTD. GRAND OPENING MARCH 3 RD

New hooters style pub is looking for experienced bartenders . Must have serving it right , squirrell knowledge and be outgoing and personalable with customers .

Please send reaume and picture to twinpeaksbarandgrill@live.ca
Ad Id:
Posted:
January 30, 2012
Expiry:
February 29, 2012

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:58 PM

Unlike the Target/Target situation, this is appears to be a case of some local yokels stealing another chain's concept, name and logo. There's no way this is an official franchise as head office keeps a firm grip on things like corporate identity and would not permit usage of an amateurish logo.

Must have serving it right , squirrell knowledge

Squirrel knowledge? I'll have you know one of the damn critters gnawed Sparky's other boot to shreds.

But I'm not trying to be critical. In fact, I'm personalable.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

I think that since they are breaking a simple human right and hiring by looks that we should fill their inbox with photos of this and that. They didnt specify what kind of photo they wanted.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users