Ma Miller's Pub | Langford | 2903 Sooke Lake Road

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Every nightclub and lounge, and most pubs, hire based on looks, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#22 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Every nightclub and lounge, and most pubs, hire based on looks, though.

True that but I don't know how many employers require their candidates to send their picture along with their resume. Seems to me that they are running the risk of a human rights complaint. We assume that they are looking for good looks but someone might try to argue that they are discriminating based on age or race.

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

I've seen picture requirements before.

Besides, today it's easy to see a photo of someone by looking them up on Facebook. And the interview process itself in the bar world has more to do with looks than it does with anything else. I don't think that's much of a secret.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

True that but I don't know how many employers require their candidates to send their picture along with their resume. Seems to me that they are running the risk of a human rights complaint. We assume that they are looking for good looks but someone might try to argue that they are discriminating based on age or race.

HUMAN RIGHTS CODE
[RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 210

Discrimination in employment advertisements
11 A person must not publish or cause to be published an advertisement in connection with employment or prospective employment that expresses a limitation, specification or preference as to race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation or age unless the limitation, specification or preference is based on a bona fide occupational requirement.

http://www.bclaws.ca...10_01#section11

Nope - employers can discriminate on physical appearance. And even if it did appear on this list, there is an argument that discrimination based on physical appearance is a reasonable limitation as a bona fide occupational requirement in this case.

#25 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I agree that employers can discriminate against ugly people. What I am saying is that requiring someone to submit a photo opens up a potential complaint against other forms of discrimination that are covered by the human rights code.

#26 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

I agree that employers can discriminate against ugly people. What I am saying is that requiring someone to submit a photo opens up a potential complaint against other forms of discrimination that are covered by the human rights code.

Nope - disagree. Requiring a prospective employee to submit a photo opens an employer up to discrimination because it's possible that using that photo, they might discriminate on something that is covered in the Code is no more a risk than requiring a prospective employee to provide a resume.

For example, if I only wanted to higher White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, I'm just as likely to use a resume to weed out non-WASPs (e.g., if their name was Sahib al-Ackbar) than if they submitted a photo of themselves in a burqa. By your logic, anything submitted in support of an application can provide a basis for discrimination.

#27 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

http://www.chrc-ccdp...oyment-eng.aspx

Subject: Photographs
Avoid asking:
  • for photo to be attached to applications or sent to interviewer before interview

#28 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:43 PM

http://www.chrc-ccdp...oyment-eng.aspx

Subject: Photographs
Avoid asking:

• for photo to be attached to applications or sent to interviewer before interview

So would I avoid asking for photos if I was hiring a model or an actor? Fact sheets like that are written for the 99.9% of jobs where a photo wouldn't be germane to the application.

Besides, avoid is not the same as "you may/must not."

#29 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Some body is hiring ! A resume and a picture ?that legal?

Please send reaume and picture to twinpeaksbarandgrill@live.ca

Holy is that a pet peeve of mine.. the cost of registering your own domain name and then having one of the big companies host it and give you 10, 100, whatever free email addresses is -nothing- .. like $50-100 a year or less..

I notice realtors do the same thing all the time.. using @gmail and @live, hotmail etc.. just looks tacky to me..

and a little more on topic..

as a healthy red blooded mid 30's male.. I still find these joints tacky as all hell.. and Im a big fan of breasts.. visited a hooters when I was workin down south once, just to say I had.. tacky.. tacky.. tacky

Now, hit Maude Hunters or Cactus Club.. or Bin 5.. or really, probably anywhere in town and tell me they dont hire based on looks... that or hot women REALLY have nothing to offer society for job skills other than **rn and food.

cakes..

#30 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

It isn't just bars and restaurants that hire based on looks, sociologists have proven that good-looking people like myself are given an unfair advantage in interviews, all other factors being equal.

You should find out who the owners of the soon-to-be Twin Peaks here are and tell them you want to represent them Mike.
In chains by Keynes

#31 switch

switch
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

It is my understanding that the owner of ma millers has chosen not to re launch as a hooters style due to outrage of local residents regarding changing history of a landmark. As well as local wives not wanting there husbands to hang out there all the time . lol

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

It is my understanding that the owner of ma millers has chosen not to re launch as a hooters style due to outrage of local residents regarding changing history of a landmark. As well as local wives not wanting there husbands to hang out there all the time . lol

Do you have a source for this info?

Know it all.

#33 seymour201

seymour201
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Drove by the other day and was surprised that they hadn't renamed the place yet. but now I see i missed the last couple posts.

Still Ma Millers.

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Exotic dancers will start on June 25th.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

Exotic dancers will start on June 25th.

Correction, June 18th I guess.

Facebook.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Are exotic dancers strippers?

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Are exotic dancers strippers?

In the vernacular, yes.

#38 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:40 AM

I can't believe I just read that question.

#39 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:53 AM

No, I'm pretty sure "exotic dancing" means men and women will be doing experimental avant-garde ballet and modern dance moves while wearing cubist constructed costumes. There's a thirst for this type of thing in Langford.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#40 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ah ok.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users