Photo

What is heritage?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have not yet watched the instructional video that Ken Johnson posted earlier but I see the magazine that hosts it is dedicated solely to replicating and restoring heritage architecture--in that world, if it is new, it must look like it was built a century ago, no modernism allowed. Based on that warped idea I doubt his link will illuminate the issue.

#42 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

That's a really odd way to preserve a facade.

Apparently, the facade was moved to a different location on the site. It would have been better to stick it off in a corner of the site not attached to a building.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

^No, the entire previous building ended up in a dumpster in one day.

No saving of storefront.

No soup for the developer.

#44 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Ran across this while scanning the G&M website. Of particular interest is photo #4, which is of the original Royal Bank of Canada headquarters circa, 1907. It has been perferted with this disgusting use of steel and glass into a 43-unit residential condo.

http://www.theglobea...article2357076/

Clearly, personne n'est pas penser des enfents.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:09 PM

Didn't somebody make the point in another thread that they don't do rooftop additions in old Montreal?

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Didn't somebody make the point in another thread that they don't do rooftop additions in old Montreal?

Good catch.

Victoria Coun. Pam Madoff, long considered council's heritage conscience, has recently found herself on the losing side of council approvals of additional storeys.

Madoff maintains other jurisdictions have managed to encourage heritage restoration without additional floors.

"If you look at other cities that have old towns that are regarded in the same way that ours are - if you go to Montreal, if you go to Quebec City - they don't do this. So what are we doing? Are we actually degrading an asset that is regarded internationally as having importance?" Madoff said.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1oINqmKPb

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Well there goes Tourism in Montreal. I guess that means more visits to Victoria for the much beloved "Waterfront Parking and Abandoned Lot Tour".

#48 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

^^ Proof once again that Madoff doesn't know what she's talking about and is a bad influence on the city's development...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#49 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Another example of how a 'real' heritage city behaves, respecting the style of classic architecture:

"Well golly, Marge, it's a darn shame we had to visit while that dang scaffolding is littering the front of the museum..." ;)

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:32 AM

Heritage is something you whittle away at until it's gone.

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Like I said in another thread, the so-called protectors of heritage use a variety of tactics to downplay modern architecture as a means of preserving the power they hold over development in this city. They control the heritage, as we see now with the Northern Junk proposal, and they also control new development by denying it to be built or ensuring it conforms arbitrarily to what was built many decades ago (think Cosmopolitan on Fort, which ultimately was rejected).

Most of the people in power, including those on heritage committees, are there for the power. Conservation of heritage comes as a job with the title.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Heritage is something you whittle away at until it's gone.

This could be the motto for Victoria, couldn't it? In Victoria, restoring/repurposing a historic property is always more controversial than leaving the historic property to rot, or even destroying it outright.

Anyone who genuinely appreciates the old properties would never be pleased about seeing them sitting abandoned, or seeing them getting demolished.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users