Latest VV Article

Victoria’s late-night scene goes country with The Duke Saloon

“We’re not a nightclub. We’re not a club at all. We’re a saloon, and we are welcoming to absolutely everybody.”

The Duke Saloon, summed up by owner Joel Friesen, opens Friday, August 22 in the former Rehab Nightclub space on Discovery Street at Store Street.. [Read more]

Photo

40 Years of Tree Growth Bastion Sq.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 History Buff

History Buff
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationShut the Front Door

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 AM

In the 1960s when a Beautification of the Downtown core was started a decision was made to plant trees on Public property in the city.
Centennial Sq which was built on a deconstructed block of the downtown had many trees planted onsite that were transplanted from Beacon Hill Park.
The trees that were transplanted were very large mature trees.The trees and their root balls were dug up and put on a large truck and driven to the square where they were planted.

Bastion Sq had trees planted there as well but they were not transplants.

In the following photos you can see how much one tree has grown in about 40 Years.

Without trees the City would look much different .
Ill see if I can dig up some more photos with changes in Trees over the years.

#2 sebberry

sebberry

Super Moderator

• 9,861 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:19 AM

This almost ties in with the herritage discussion - back in 1970 people were probably thinking "What's this doing here in the middle of the path?" Now we look at it and think "what a good idea it was to plant a tree there"

Things we do now will be viewed differently twenty, thirty years from now. In 2040 we'll look back at the Northern Junk buildings and say "wow, how nice it was to make use of that property"

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 8,847 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

That's funny, just now I was looking at a 1987 real estate ad for a Granite St. condo featuring an old Garry Oak and the same tree as seen on Google StreetView hardly has changed at all. In the 70s and 80s it was trendy to plant pine trees around new condo construction and those trees today can be massive. For example, the ones around the condo on upper Quadra before McKenzie, the site of the old Brite Spot domed restaurant.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Dylan Leblanc

Dylan Leblanc
  • Administrator
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Neat, didn't know a tree could grow that large in 40 years.

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Neat, didn't know a tree could grow that large in 40 years.

Trees can grow much larger than that in 40 years, it depends on the type of tree. Many fast growing trees are shortlived though, this is a problem with the new trees that were planted at Vic High as a replacement for the memorial trees that were knocked down. The new trees have a 40-50 year lifespan.

#6 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 641 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Did there not used to be many more trees along View Street in what is now Bastion Square before it was turned into a pedestrian mall? I can't seem to find any pictures that confirm this but I recall seeing some in the past.

#7 aastra

aastra
  • 9,468 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

Are you thinking of this?

http://www.bcarchive..._70/a_05714.txt

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 10,383 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

See now it would have been impossible to get rid of those trees but thank god they did. I will be honest I am not a huge fan of pine trees in urban areas. The ones in Chinatown are an exception has they are unique.
Density Fanboy

#9 Bernard

Bernard
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Bastion Square had no trees in it any longer by the time of the change. I do not know the date when they went.

As to conifers, I think they are good choices for this region if you choose so of our native varieties - Doug Firs are ones I would support planting a lot more of. They remain green all year, grow fast and have long lifespans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users