[Marine] Ferry services to/from Victoria harbour

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Today there are five arrivals scheduled by Alaska and two by Delta.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#302 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:06 AM

Well, whatever it is, all the planes are nothing really, compared to the BCF.  

But also if I add in the Kenmore, Helijet and HA numbers, I'm building a bigger case for much larger Vancouver arrival numbers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#303 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

Wilson's runs as many as 8 coaches across in summer.  That's people willing to pay a significant premium for a deluxe coach with no transfers, compared to transit.

THAT shows that people will pay for convenience of downtown/downtown.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#304 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:53 AM

There are many ferries that are not full

The daily bus service city to city was pared down from hourly service to a few a day then contacted out to Wilsons all because of extremely slow rider count

the only time even in summer that ferries are extremely busy is long weekends that's a guarantee

The ferries are not as full as you are attempting to make it out as

Sugar coat it all you want

You are trying to protect V2V and make it look like they are a needed service or that they will be packed full ...its good to have dreams and aspirations but in this case they will fail a service like this can not run year round and the business plan is flawed, too rich all around and from every angle

When they fail i expect you will then say something like "oh ya we all knew it"

Edited by HB, 19 February 2017 - 09:58 AM.

• Nparker and shoeflack like this

#305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:10 AM

...The daily bus service city to city was pared down from hourly service to a few a day then contracted out to Wilson's all because of extremely slow rider count...

And the main reason is that cheaper alternatives became more popular. Sure it's a bit inconvenient to take transit and Skytrain from downtown to downtown, but for the tremendous cost savings many, many people (myself included) choose this option. V2V is not going to change this.

#306 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

My thinking all along is that the Aussie company has a long term plan for some other venture within Canada. I can only imagine that they are planning for a loss or break even with V2V. It may be that their entry into the Canadian market will stand them in good stead when they go after their real goals. Just a theory...I've got nothing to back it up.

• Bingo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#307 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

And the main reason is that cheaper alternatives became more popular. Sure it's a bit inconvenient to take transit and Skytrain from downtown to downtown, but for the tremendous cost savings many, many people (myself included) choose this option. V2V is not going to change this.

Well, clearly this service is not going to be for cheap government workers. It will be for people who are on vacation and want an experience. Not everybody stays at Super 8 while on vacation...

#308 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

yes and there are also very limited rooms available.

V2V will not be able to saunter into this market and scoop up room nights as a newcomer when there are businesses that have long term working relationships with the local hoteliers

this is the main reason Victoria will never become a home port for cruise ships because there are not enough rooms

Hotels are closing like real estate deals

next on the chopping block....Harbour Towers , Admiral Motel,, Tally Ho

#309 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

Well, clearly this service is not going to be for cheap government workers....

So you're advocating a substantial raise for government workers then I take it.

#310 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

...It will be for people who are on vacation and want an experience. Not everybody stays at Super 8 while on vacation...

As I suggested in the other harbour-to-harbour thread (why are there two threads on the same subject anyway?), for less than the cost of an afternoon trip on V2V. a 1-night and probably even 2-night excursion can be had on a real cruise ship out of Seattle - a far cry from a "Super 8" vacation.

#311 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

I think there are rich tourists who will pay for a cool boat ride that includes wine, a three course meal, nice views, lots of leg room, comfy seats, time to read a book, etc. These people don't want to rent a car, navigate to Tsawwassen, wait at the ferry terminal, etc. I can see there being a market.

In the low season, V2V has other markets it can exploit to drive traffic. Canucks games, shopping trips, Lions, Whitecaps, concerts, day trips, charters, etc.
  • grantpalin likes this

#312 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Outside of your own wedding, have none of you ever rented a limo?

I have, many times.  That's what V2V is about.  It's not the quickest, cheapest way of doing things.  But it's more comfortable than a plane or ferry, or rental car, and is the only one that lets you have some champagne onboard. 

• 57WestHills likes this

#313 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

But I still don't have my car

Edited by sdwright.vic, 19 February 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#314 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:46 PM

Our Airbnb guests love to drive cars around the region and explore. I'd say 70% arrive via BC Ferries and around 30% fly into Victoria and rent a car at the airport. I don't think we've had any Clipper guests and our only Coho guest was due to a cancelled Delta flight.

#315 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:54 PM

But I still don't have my car

Either do the 2100 people that arrive in Victoria each day by Clipper and airplanes.

#316 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:49 PM

Beating a dead horse

V2V will begin service in 2017 and it will also end service in 2017

Final Answer

#317 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:53 PM

so on a day like today when only 35 people arrived on the Clipper

Did 200 arrive by aircraft.

i would really like to know where you are getting those numbers. Start posting facts here about arrivals and stop picking numbers form the air.

People are told top post sources here all the time.

Please post yours.

Its not fair for others to need to post sources and I think you should too where we can see where you are sourcing these Clipper and airline passenger numbers from

A large percentage of air passengers live here and on the Island they are returning home and hardly can be considered in your numbers and same with the ferries

Edited by HB, 19 February 2017 - 09:59 PM.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#318 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

Beating a dead horse

V2V will begin service in 2017 and it will also end service in 2017

Final Answer

If they do it onboard maybe.

#319 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:09 PM

Just for the record here, because no one likes misleading facts, BC Ferries posted that 3,001,781 passengers traveled the Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay run in fiscal 2015-16. That works out to 8,224 per day over the course of the year.

This year, in July they had 414,066 on that route, and in August they had 411,792 on that route. So over the two busiest months, BC Ferries took an average of 13,320 passengers per day.

It's still a lot of bodies, but not the total alluded to earlier in this thread. Sorry VHF.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, lanforod and 1 other like this

#320 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'm interested to read this year's numbers. Anecdotal evidence suggests traffic is way up across almost every route. This is based on:

- BC Ferries quarterly reporting; and
- the stupid rule that caps BC Ferries income. That's led to there being three fare sales this FY to reduce income. Normally there's just one.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users