Photo

[Marine] Ferry services to/from Victoria harbour

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#41 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:42 PM

With those people involved, I have high hopes.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#42 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

It would be nice if they brought the CP terminal back to it's former glory.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:47 PM

Do you mean put it back in the Wax Museum building?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:37 AM

That would conveniently remove Undersea Gardens as well!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#45 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:08 AM

A win win situatuion!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#46 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

I'm glad that Robert got the bit about the Swedish owned successor to the Margeurite (sp) that lasted only one season. Just like Ikea, they insisted that No Americans have to like meatballs for their lunch, and thats what they served!

My favorite trip was taking the Marguerite during the period it was docked at Ogden Pt - left at 7 am - walked over from our place in James Bay - forgot some paperwork - ran back to get it, and got on in time. My son and I were heading to Seattle to catch the Amtrack for a trip across America. When we got to Seattle we walked the 3 or so blocks to the Amtrack station - it was echoing and empty - and stashed our bags in lockers, and headed off to take the underground tour. When we got back to the Amtrak station at about 4 pm it was packed to the rafters with people waiting to get on - yuppies, families, people in big motorized wheelchairs, Hutterite families in garb clutching pillows (they don't book berths - they go cheap and sleep in the coach cars). Bram and I got a 2 person cabin that converted to an upper and lower berth. the whole thing was 3.5 feet wide, with a deep closet that was only 6 inches wide - you had to put one shoe in front of the other for them to fit! Once we got started they came and delivered a demi bottle of wine and 2 wine glasses. We were heading to S. Ontario to see family, and came back the same way. It was a really fun trip - included a stop over in Chicago during rush hour. Lots of great stories!
Pieta VanDyke

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:45 PM

That sounds like an amazing trip!! Wow. I have always wanted to take the train from Vancouver to San Fran but I would bet it would take too long...

It has a whole new look!

#48 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

I took the train from Seattle to San Fran and LA, only took just over a day, and it was fun the whole time.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#49 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

It would make sense to rebuild the old CPR ships terminal in the inner harbour, abeit a modern version. The harbour in that picture sure was a lot more active than it is now. I am guessing that picture was taken in the 1940s?

#50 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

Do you mean put it back in the Wax Museum building?

Yes!

Does anyone out there know why this jetty was taken out?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#51 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Probably because the steamship business died out - replaced by train or by diesel?
Pieta VanDyke

#52 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

I think the new BC Ferries eventually pulled the Vancouver traffic out to Swartz Bay and all we were left with was a Seattle and a Port Angeles ferry. Up to the 70s the Coho docked at what's now the Visitor's Information Centre. It backed right into where Milestones is now.

That dock was probably falling apart by then.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#53 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hey, Holden!

Check your inbox - I responded to your "cornice" question - which I realize now was a trick question (did you intend it that way?)
Pieta VanDyke

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

No trick. (I suppose the Best Western Carlton on Johnson might be the first use of fiberglas "fake heritage")

---

Busy place, the harbour back then:

#55 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

It would be nice if they brought the CP terminal back to it's former glory.

My father worked as a purser & ticket agent for CP in the 50s. He was mostly in the interior (KVR routes), but did a stint at the Victoria station too.

Not trying to put a damper on the converstaion with my POV, but becuase of costs and probably environmental & safety concerns - logs are around and on days when there are lots out, Cats like the Clipper really have to slow down. So personally I really think that the float planes will remain the only viable fast passenger commuting options between downtown Victoria and downtown Vancouver. It would be nice if there was more frequent and more competitive service tho..

I also don't see alot of likelyhood of fast vehicle passenger service being established to between downtowns either. Where would the line-ups go in Vancouver? How expensive would a ferry that cuts time down be?

What I would I'd be interested in, is if BC transit got in the water - for local trips within greater Victoria. Around the Gorge, Esquimalt, Colwood..

#56 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

^ That's a great idea.

I am not sure if there is a market for faster vehicle transportation but faster pedestrian transport definitely. I think that the passenger run would do really well from downtown especially if it was as fast as they claim. Also as it is riding almost out of the water perhaps logs would not be a problem.

It has a whole new look!

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:23 PM

This is the same place that surface-effect ferry guy wants to put his catamaran.

Little ferries find new home base

By Andrea Lavigne
News staff
Mar 16 2007

Company commits to revitalizing Old Town

Victoria Harbour Ferry is skippering the effort to revitalize a gateway to Old Town.

The company recently moved into it’s new office location on the water side of the Regent Hotel and is working alongside the business community, the City of Victoria and the Provincial Capital Commission to revitalize the Reeson property – the grassy area by the Johnson Street bridge.

Victoria Harbour Ferry is planning to build a new float for its 13 boats and a nautical sign that marks Reeson Landing as the gateway to Old Town.

“It’s really important for us because it brands the area and gives us a chance to bring more people to Old Town,” said Victoria Harbour Ferry’s director of operations Barry Hobbis.

The company celebrated the new location with a special performance of the Victoria Harbour Ferry ballet.

The water dance – set to the tune of the “Blue Danube Waltz” – is performed every Sunday in the Inner Harbour from mid-May to September.

For 17 years, Victoria Harbour Ferry has navigated from West Bay Marine Village to destinations in the Inner Harbour and beyond to Gorge Park.

The ferries run daily from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m from May to September.

mailto:alavigne@vicnews.com

#58 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:00 PM

This is positive news...

More traffic.. more "eyes" on the street..

#59 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

Great News! I love the harbour ferries!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Venice Water Taxi:

Dinky bathtubs are fine for tourists to view the Inner Harbour...

...but if you need to get to the office in 15 minutes you need something that hauls ass. 8)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users