Photo

City of Victoria website | Victoria.ca (2012 release)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

The City of Victoria has released a new design for the City's website accessible at www.victoria.ca .

At first glance it is strangely reminiscent of Langford's website, but unlike Langford's website, the images in the header show mostly smiling people doing hokey things.
Thoughts?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I went to the Employment Opportunities after being told that there was a server error on the "Bids" page.

Please be advised that the City of Victoria does not accept general resumes.

What the heck does that mean? If you are not already in the union forget it?

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

^I think in most places it means don't drop off general resumes--but you can apply for specific job openings or send cover letters targeting a specific position.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

^ That makes more sence than the way I read it.

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

I don't see smiling people, etc., so maybe they change the pictures out? (I see a VERY bright picture of the Chinatown gates at night). Not sure that it matters what is in the heading, though: the color scheme is blinding and really distracting, imo.

On a laptop, I have to scroll below the 'fold' to get to the calendar and to 'latest news' - this is very poorly designed.

The drop-down menus on the tabs at the top seem ok, but the 'I want to...' tab, which is really the most important one for any visitor to the site (again: imo), seems to get lost among the buttons (there are actually two rows of links at the top of the page - the drop-down menu buttons and, above them, more navigation buttons). The two rows of buttons 'compete' for attention visually with the big photo. It took me several look-throughs before I even noticed the (imo) all-important 'I want to...' tab.

For me, it would make more sense to have the 'I want to...' menu as an info box, above the fold, please, on the left hand side/edge. Western convention reads from left to right, and putting it on the left - instead of where it lives right now, at the end on the right on a row that's clobbered, attention-wise, by other rows of links as well as a big bright graphic. Even if it stays as a drop-down button, just placing prominently on the left by itself would elevate its importance.

On the right hand-side, to bookend the image, how about a couple of columns devoted to photos of the elected officials, with links to their portfolios and contact info?

That way, I come to the site, I see right away where I can click to find out what I want from the site, and I also see my elected representatives and their portfolios. So... if my concern is about a specific neighborhood, I can get in touch with the person directly, for example.

Forget the fluffy bling colors and the bright happy-happy photos. Cut to the chase and make the design work for the user. It's not tv, after all...

Just my 2-cents.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Tax bills are due for payment now but the City's tax bill payment site is currently offline and has been offline since at least Saturday. Presumably the techs weren't called in/alerted until today?

https://tender.victo...com/default.cfm

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:55 AM

From their FB page:

We are in the process of resolving issues with online transactions on our website, including payments, tax certificates, property inquiries and MyCity. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users