Greater Victoria Teachers Association

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Happening today:

"Any parents wishing to join teachers, please come to support rally today at 3:30 at the BC legislature. Here is the rally notice:

Rally to support teachers for a fair deal
Monday, Feb 27, 3:30 - 5:00
Legislature lawn

Please come and support teachers for a fair deal. The BC government wants to impose a new contract using legislation. They are ignoring teachers' calls for mediation/arbitration, and ignoring the BC Supreme Court decision that when they removed class size and composition limits in 2002 they acted unconstitutionally.

Confirmed speakers: Mike Eso, Victoria Labour Council; Edith Loring-Kuhanga, Victoria School Board Trustee, Tara Ehrcke, President of the Greater Victoria Teachers' Association

Thank you everyone for your support!"

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Apparently teachers may strike as early as the end of the week. Already teachers are being told by the BCTF to enter schools only when the buzzer rings and leave immediately after their students go home.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

^ Surely to god they are paid for more than a 6 hour workday?

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

My girlfriend's father is a teacher. This is what he has to say:

Teachers receive a salary and are not paid "bell to bell." However, many teachers, before and after the bells, take on additional duties like volunteering with clubs, sports teams and other student-oriented activities for which they are not paid. Also on either end of the bells teachers prepare classroom materials, prepare their classrooms, and grade their students.

Tomorrow teachers are being asked to cast a vote to decide whether or not to take job action all the way to a total walkout. Teachers may strike as early as the end of the week. The strike may be short-lived as the government has the power to legislate teachers back to work.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Latest news is teachers will be voting today and tomorrow on whether or not to escalate job action. This could mean that a full blown strike will be in effect as early as this week.

Know it all.

#6 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:25 PM

Pretty interesting letter to the editor in the TC today from a Sooke teacher I believe, who clearly is no fan of the BCTF. I certainly have my own opinion of that org to be certain. It was in large part formuated during the tenure of one Jinny Sims.

At the time I took some time to look beyond the propaganda (emanating from both sides) and dug a little into the then-Constitution of said BCTF. Not the agreement between the government and the union mind you, but the actual Constitution of the latter. Now while I have admittedly not done this recently - we're going back a few years here - I do recall being utterly astonished at the leftist vitriol and diatribe against among other items "Zionism" (I kid you not). You had to dig deep but it was there. It read like something out of the old Red Book from the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, circa 1960. Fascinating stuff, and I wondered at the time a) who was actually controlling the BCTF and b) what possible connection the policies of the state of Israel have to BC class size or teacher contracts and wages? Just askin'.......

#7 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Letter from an educator sent to a MLA in hopes of having it read during the Bill 22 debate. Do take a moment to read. What are your thoughts on the letter?

http://cherylangst.w...aching-in-bc-3/

#8 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Letter from an educator sent to a MLA in hopes of having it read during the Bill 22 debate. Do take a moment to read. What are your thoughts on the letter?

http://cherylangst.w...aching-in-bc-3/

I think the thoughts will break down upon traditional lines.

"right on, you said it, about time" or

"whiny wench, TFB, get used to it"

Personally I would like to see charter schools available in every school district, the more the merrier.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Pretty interesting letter to the editor in the TC today from a Sooke teacher I believe, who clearly is no fan of the BCTF. I certainly have my own opinion of that org to be certain. It was in large part formuated during the tenure of one Jinny Sims.

At the time I took some time to look beyond the propaganda (emanating from both sides) and dug a little into the then-Constitution of said BCTF. Not the agreement between the government and the union mind you, but the actual Constitution of the latter. Now while I have admittedly not done this recently - we're going back a few years here - I do recall being utterly astonished at the leftist vitriol and diatribe against among other items "Zionism" (I kid you not). You had to dig deep but it was there. It read like something out of the old Red Book from the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, circa 1960. Fascinating stuff, and I wondered at the time a) who was actually controlling the BCTF and b) what possible connection the policies of the state of Israel have to BC class size or teacher contracts and wages? Just askin'.......

Not that I have a stake on either side of this. But there is nothing the current constitution that refers to "zionism".

http://bctf.ca/uploa...Guide/guide.pdf

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#10 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:02 AM

Although there are certainly other issues at stake, most of these disagreements boil down to money. As a taxpayer I cannot support a 15% pay increase over 3 years when there are 3 teachers waiting for every 1 job that comes available and few in the public or private sector are getting that type of increase these days.

#11 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

For a typical teacher that's 2500 increase a year ending at 7500 three years from now. As a tax payer I would rather give this raise to 800 teachers than pay for a $500000 traffic study of Beacon hill park.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

The upcoming job action is NOT about getting more money in teachers' pockets, of that I have become quite convinced. What's really at stake now is a challenge to free and collective bargaining, and that's something that should concern everyone.

#13 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Was not sure where to drop in this comment, but this seems like the most appropriate spot as it relates to this thread.

Just a heads up to parents on the peninsula looking for some last second childcare, Panorama has set up day camps on Tue and Wed at Greenglades in addition to the camps already in place for Monday. For details contact Panorama at 250-656-7271 or http://www.crd.bc.ca/panorama/

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#14 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

The upcoming job action is NOT about getting more money in teachers' pockets, of that I have become quite convinced. What's really at stake now is a challenge to free and collective bargaining, and that's something that should concern everyone.

You mean that it should be of concern to everyone in a public sector union!

#15 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

My only real opinion on this issue is that the large number of people striving to become teachers suggests to me that there is ample supply of people wanting to become teachers even at the supposed "low" present day compensation levels. Friends of mine have given up trying to land teaching gigs after studying to become teachers due to the lack of positions available and huge competition. Given this, I don't support their cry for higher compensation.

#16 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

You mean that it should be of concern to everyone in a public sector union!

Um, no, it should concern everyone. The erosion of collective bargaining rights is the start of the erosion of other rights - if not, at the very least, a justification for those who seek to eliminate those rights to do so.

It's very, very important that the teachers not back down from this.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#17 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

My point exactly bluefox.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

- attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:04 PM

I never understood why no one is complaining about the job done by School Boards and School District superintendents. If the government is not providing the money you need, figure out a way to raise it otherwise.

All the universities and private schools have major fundraising campaigns. I know of no school districts that are doing that.

I would give to the School District if asked and given a tax receipt.

#19 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

My point exactly bluefox.

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

- attributed to pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

I haven't been following this issue closely enough I guess. If they are ARRESTING teachers, I need to modify my views.

#20 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:09 PM

I never understood why no one is complaining about the job done by School Boards and School District superintendents. If the government is not providing the money you need, figure out a way to raise it otherwise.

All the universities and private schools have major fundraising campaigns. I know of no school districts that are doing that.

I would give to the School District if asked and given a tax receipt.

The PACs do a lot of work in regards to this.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users